PDA

View Full Version : Changing from child to adult on dining plan

ftwildernesskid
10-22-2007, 07:19 PM
My 9 year old ds eats most anything that an adult would eat. I have already paid for him as a child on the dining plan. But now that we are only 12 days away from our trip, I'm having second thoughts and am wondering if I can pay the difference for him to be an adult the dining plan. Has anyone ever done this? Would I have to change anything else too? Thanks for any help!

Figment!
10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
As the Dining Plan is an add-on to a package, you would have to upgrade the package before you could upgrade the add-on.

This would include:
Upgrading to an adult park pass for them.
Upgrading them as part of your room reservation incurring any associated charges.--Edit--

Others have mentioned a Junior status for the room reservation. This may be do-able, however, I am personally aware of several cases where this was not granted, so experiences may vary.

CarolMN
10-23-2007, 09:48 AM
I think you should call and ask - I've seen other reports where guests were able to get the adult DDP for their child without having to pay extra for tickets or the room.

If you get told no by CRO/WDWTC, I'd ask again at check in and/or go to the concierge desk at the resort and ask again. Can't hurt.

Good luck!

vamaggie
10-23-2007, 10:05 AM
I believe that if you buy the adult DDP you would have to buy adult park tickets for him but that he would be a "jr" in the room and not a charged adult (that is how it is with our 10 yr old this trip). I would run the numbers and see if it would be better to just pay for some meals/add ons for him OOP rather than paying the adult DDP/park tickets. I also know some folks who will share credits so the child gets a kids meal and the adult gets an adult meal and they share. There seems to be more than enough food (if that is your concern) even with a child's meal. If variety is your concern I would check the menus and again run the numbers. Good Luck!

TheRustyScupper
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM
1) You can change him to an adult for DDP.
2) You must also pay adult prices for park tickets.
3) You would not have to pay an additional room charge.
4) Just list the child's age as "10".

wendy*darling
10-23-2007, 01:39 PM
I would leave things as they are.
For the extra money it would cost to pay for an adult DDP and an adult park pass, you can buy plenty of extra food- if needed.

The kids portions are plentiful. If he wants something special that is not on the kids menu- speak to your server. You may be able to buy it as an appetizer, or they may be able to create it as a kids meal on the DDP. It doesn't hurt to ask.

If you dine at any buffet meals- your son can eat any and everything the adults eat. No difference there. (And adults can eat off the kids table too)

ftwildernesskid
10-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I deciced that he couldn't possibly eat the amount of food that it would cost to switch him to an adult. I'll just get him extra things and pay out of pocket if I need to.

septembergirl
10-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I deciced that he couldn't possibly eat the amount of food that it would cost to switch him to an adult. I'll just get him extra things and pay out of pocket if I need to.

I switched my DS9 to an adult plan when we went in September. It work out great for him. We would have had quite a time figuring out stuff for him to eat off of the child's menu. He is very picky so for us it was worth it. He also has 2 older DBs so they were going to be ordering off the adult menu and that is kind of a big thing for him, too. If your DS is a good eater then he could get full off of the child's menu and you will have plenty of food to share from your plates if he want to be more adventurous. As has been previously discussed, the children's menu leaves a lot to be desired in most cases!

We were there for FD so all we had to do was upgrade my DS9 was to upgrade his park ticket. There is not issue at all with the room.

Jared
10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Why wouldn't Disney allow families to upgrade to an adult package? Isn't the company making more money?

It sounds like a win-win situation to allow guests to spend extra cash for more food even if the child is younger than 10. Am I missing something?

mdricks
10-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Unless things have changed.....

You only have to buy a one day park ticket to get the plan. Go ahead and set it up with your rooms for the whole stay, the ddp for the whole stay and park ticket for one day. Then go to the local Disney store and buy the tickets for the rest of your stay from them. Thats what we did under the old plan.