PDA

View Full Version : Walk-ups at lunch time....?

AbeeNormal
10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Vague question I know. I didn't want our days to be too stringent, so I made dinner and breakfast ressies and none for lunch. :mickey:

We are totally OK with CS but on the off chance that we might try to do a sit-down at Sci Fi, Marrakesh, Tony's Town Square or Rainforest Cafe just to name a few, what would are chances be?:chef: :crowd: :eat:

FYI - Our trip dates are Jan 3rd thru 7th and then off to the ship. :captain:
Ist visit:secret:
Thanks so much for the advise:)

faline
10-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I've had fairly good success with walkups right when the restaurant is opening for lunch.

You could also try checking with Guest Relations at the park in the morning to see what might be available at which restaurants that day.

teambricker04
10-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I have NEVER made an ADR for any of our previous trips. We have visited various resturants, TS, CS, Character meals, and shows, all with out any reservations. Ever. So I must be crazy, but we have ALWAYS gotten to eat where we want. I don't think this is typical.

Our next trip (in a couple of weeks HOORAY!) I actually made ADRs. After reading about people making them, I did it. I only reserved a few things so I will see if it works out for us.

I am in the same boat as you, I don't know when and where we would want to go so we wing it. Faline is right... if you go early you can usually get in. We have done that several times at Sci-fi, but sometimes the cars aren't available.

CaptNemo
10-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Vague question I know. I didn't want our days to be too stringent, so I made dinner and breakfast ressies and none for lunch. :mickey:

We are totally OK with CS but on the off chance that we might try to do a sit-down at Sci Fi, Marrakesh, Tony's Town Square or Rainforest Cafe just to name a few, what would are chances be?:chef: :crowd: :eat:

FYI - Our trip dates are Jan 3rd thru 7th and then off to the ship. :captain:
Ist visit:secret:
Thanks so much for the advise:)

Full-service restaurants almost always require a reservation unless you are willing to wait 30-45 minutes. Popular restaurants like Sci-Fi can have wait times up to 2 hours and have even turned walk-ups away. And that's during "low season."

You might also want to be conscious of "Magic Hours" at the parks when a park might open early or be open later for resort guests because those parks tend to be a little more crowded and can make dining reservations challenging if not planned.

My best advice is to go to Guest Relations as soon as you get to a park and make your lunch reservations. That way you can plan your lunch based on the park you are visiting and you don't waste your valuable park time waiting to be seated. This still gives you the flexibility to change parks and change plans in the middle of the day if necessary.

gardenia
10-22-2007, 04:14 PM

From my personal experience, I don't think you have a chance at Sci Fi or Rainforest. I've had ADRs at both at various times of year for lunch, and had trouble getting in with an ADR! I swear it took me 20 minutes just to get to the head of the line at the podium at Rainforest. You might have better luck at slightly less popular places like Marakesh.

BTW, we will be there Jan 2-7, same timeframe, and I made ADRs 6 weeks ago just in case.

faline
10-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Full-service restaurants almost always require a reservation unless you are willing to wait 30-45 minutes. Popular restaurants like Sci-Fi can have wait times up to 2 hours and have even turned walk-ups away. And that's during "low season."

That's not always true. In June of 2006, we had lunch at Le Cellier one day (walk up right at restaurant opening) and lunch one day at Liberty Tree Tavern (also a walk up right at restaurant opening). On both occasions, we were seated within a few minutes of the restaurant opening.

A couple of weeks ago, we had lunch at Rose n Crown at 2 in the afternoon. That day, I stopped in Guest Relations in the morning and booked the reservation the same day.

Figment!
10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
You could also try checking with Guest Relations at the park in the morning to see what might be available at which restaurants that day. Similarly, you can also contact Dining Reservations the day-of by dialing *88 at any Disney payphone or *55 from any Disney hotel phone.

RobWreck
10-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Sometimes people cancel their ADR's, even at the most popular restaurants, so it never hurts to try. Last October, my wife and I had such a late lunch that when dinner time rolled around, we were too full to enjoy our reservations at Le Cellier, so we cancelled them. Sure hope someone enjoyed our table... :)
Rob

AbeeNormal
10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks so much for all of the great info. :thumbsup:

I'm on the phone with the dining people and this nice man is giving it his all to get us to go with the dining plan I just can't talk my husband into to it. Oh well....:)