PDA

View Full Version : Internet Petition.

kbean
10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I need some help here. My GF and I are going to MVMCP for a night, and she won't bring her twin daughters because it's a school night. Plus I took them two weeks ago for a day to MK for their birthday. I want the kids to go because I keep saying it won't be the same. Really, I can't picture it. So I need some back up from you guys to help convince her to let them go. It's only one night.

teambricker04
10-22-2007, 01:01 PM
I am one of those moms who thinks making a disruption of childrens education, even for WDW isn't cool. School is more important, and being fresh for the next day no matter the age is important.

This is something that would be a debate in our own house. I say no and I am sure my husband would say yes. He isn't an Intercot member however so you only get my vote.

cfoshe
10-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I voted no, I believe school is to important just to skip.

PirateLover
10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't understand why you have to go on a school night? There are plenty of weekend dates. I do think it would be fun to take the kids, but at the same time I don't think you should take them on a school night when you don't have to. It may be only one night to you, but as a teacher I can tell you it is frustrating and distracting when a child is falling asleep in class :twocents:

Ian
10-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I'd have to vote no. Since you live close-by and aren't dependent on being there for vacation or anything, I'd say go on a weekend night or leave the kids at home.

I have no issue whatsoever with pulling kids out of school for a bit for family vacations and the like, but keeping them out late on a school night to go to MVMCP when it isn't really necessary is not something I'd do.

amorillo
10-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I voted YES! but it would definitely depend on what their grades are. Both of my children know that when they keep the grades high... they have more of a chance of being rewarded! :D

Seasonscraps
10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
How old are they and what time do the normally go to bed?

kbean
10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
They are 9, grades are fine,and I have only a few selected nights to go because the post office owns me during xmas season.

LauraleeH
10-22-2007, 02:10 PM
I said yes. Yeah, school is important, but you only have one life, and who knows how long any of us will be around. To me, family memories are so much more important than a perfect attendance record (That's not to say I agree with regularly skipping school by any means. But it is the holidays and they're only kids once). If it's that big of a deal, come up with an agreement that the girls must stay home on the weekend to study or something.

Tygger7
10-22-2007, 02:10 PM
And this is exactly why we homeschooled our daughter, and why I can't stand public schools. Bottom line, it's the parent(s) call. Personally, if grades are good and they aren't missing a major exam (which really wouldn't apply for elementary school aged kids), I would have no problem doing a family activity. I mean, they school will send the kids on all day field trips to the local zoo...how is that any different than a parent taking a child out for a family activity? Trust me, every field trip I've ever been on (as a kid or adult chaperone) has had no real academic value. Ok, off my soapbox. :soapbox: I know my views aren't popular. Trust me, as a parent who homeschooled, I've heard it all. Bottom line, I don't see why missing one day would destroy a child's education. If it were my kid, I'd happily let her miss a day and go. :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
I would say yes, only because I know what it's like to have a limited amount of time off to do things with your family. I don't even get time off to see them at the holidays because the hospitality industry (aka Disney) never closes.

I don't see why they can't go to class the next day though. You don't have to stay the whole time either, you can leave before the party ends and go in around 4 -5 to do everything. Just give them some extra time to sleep in before class, a large healthy breakfast with lots of juice and send them on their way.

Then again, I am used to pulling all-nighters and early rises. Getting home at 3 am, sleep by 4 am and getting up at 8 for classes.....Either way, I'm sure you'll figure something out that works.

dolphinmickey9170
10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I have to agree with the previous posters that are for letting the girls go. I took my children out of school for an entire week for a trip to WDW. They were 7 and 9 at the time. Their teachers were made aware ahead of time and made them a special assignement to do while they were away. This had to be turned in upon their return to school. They didn't lose anything from missing a week of school.

However, you have a lot of opinions here, but it really is truly up to the parents and their feelings.

Ian
10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
If you truly have no opportunity to take them on any night other than a weeknight, then I change my vote to a 'Yes.'

I wholeheartedly agree that family time is as important as school time, maybe even moreso at age 9.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I voted yes, they should go!

We take family and together time as just as important as school...the girls can catch up on anything they miss, the memories will last much longer.

AbeeNormal
10-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I would say if they are in elementary school and aren't missing anything they (the kids ) would be un-happy about ie:holiday party etc. than I say let them go.

Even if they missed half a day at school time with our kids is also important:thumbsup: as long as school on the majority comes first. :mickey:

magicman
10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I vote yes. Education is ALOT more than what is taught in a building. Many of America's founding fathers did not attend 'formalized school'. (I believe it was Patrick Henry who said, "Give me Disney or give me death."):flag:

faberj
10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
I would vote YES. If you tell the teacher(s) in advance and get the girls assignments for that day they would miss so they do not get behind, I say go for it.

d_m_n_n
10-22-2007, 04:35 PM
I voted yes! But for the record, I am the Queen Mother of Hooky! :blush: Many times I've taken DSs for evening activities. If they are tired the next morning, they get to sleep in and they get to school around lunchtime. Do it while you still can...they won't be little forever and making memories is what they are going to remember, not a math assignment.

PAT9760
10-22-2007, 04:42 PM
As I look back on raising my two kids, now 36 and 37, it's not the things I did that I regret, it's all the things I didn't do. It's a whole different story now that I have grandchildren!!!
You only go around once, sweetheart, take the kids!:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
10-22-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't have children yet, but I know for a fact that if it were me 25 years ago, and my parents would have wanted to take me to something like that on a school night, they definitely would have taken me, and not thought twice about it.

One night out late in the grand scheme of years of school won't make a lick of difference in their education. Take them, enjoy the time together, and be a family. I think it's absolutely wonderful that you can't imagine attending the party without your GF's children. They are so lucky to have someone like you!!

Go to the party, have a wonderful time, and tell your GF to relax....everything will be fine, and the girls will appreciate the chance to go. I think they would be pretty disappointed if they weren't allowed to go.

mickeys_princess_mom
10-22-2007, 05:39 PM
I wholeheartedly agree that family time is as important as school time, maybe even moreso at age 9.
Absolutely! Making memories...

:santa3: :santa3:

dizluvr71
10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I definitely believe in making memories and that life is short and you should enjoy as much as can you when you can. So YES she should let them go. Obviously if they are struggling and their grades are bad I might think twice about it.

I'll probably get flamed for this, however if it were me I would take them and let them skip school the next day to recover. :secret:

LoriMistress
10-22-2007, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't try to convince her. I would just casual mention to her that you would like to bring the kids along. If she says no, then that's your final answer.

LCPZA
10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I vote YES!!
As long as they undertand they must go to school the next day. IF they are hard to wake up in the morning I would even suggest a small cat nap before you go. THey must also being doing well in school. Life is short and you don't want to regret no letting them go years down the road, but school grades must come first. That's my rule. My son goes every year during the school year and misses 5 or 6 days but our agreement is he must maintain an A average or no Disney. He is in the 7th grade now and it has worked for me every year so far.
Good Luck

pookiebear38
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I would have to vote yes. My DD is 11 now, will be 12 when we finally get to go next year and we're debating how we're going to handle the school issue.
Not to bring a damper, but I have a couple of mutual acquaintances who recently lost their spouses in accidents.:( Enjoy your time now because the Big Man up above may have other ideas for your future.

Maleficent's Dad
10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I voted no, and I'll explain why.

I mean absolutely no offense to the OP here. But, the OP is most definitely not the childrens' parent - plain and simple, I would not allow friends of mine to make decisions for how I parent and whether or not they go to WDW. Those decisions are for DW and me to make. Period.

Sorry if this is a harsh point of view. :blush: I mean no offense. I wouldn't allow a friend to "pressure" me into taking my kids somewhere that I didn't want them to go. :mickey:

GrmGrninGost
10-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Come on Mom! It's only one night and it's soooo much fun! :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I voted no, and I'll explain why.

I mean absolutely no offense to the OP here. But, the OP is most definitely not the childrens' parent - plain and simple, I would not allow friends of mine to make decisions for how I parent and whether or not they go to WDW. Those decisions are for DW and me to make. Period.

Sorry if this is a harsh point of view. :blush: I mean no offense. I wouldn't allow a friend to "pressure" me into taking my kids somewhere that I didn't want them to go. :mickey:

It's not just any friend for him, it's his girlfriend. And depending on how long they've been together, then yes, he should and could have a say in how to raise her children. Obviously, they are still dating and he is like a father figure to them.

I can tell you as I come from a single parent home, growing up my mother's boyfriend had a say in how I was raised from the time he started living with us, which was when I was 8 and I'mm 22 now. Once that step is taken, it's more of a commitment than just casual dating.

I also still do not see why or how they have to miss school because they live locally so even if they leave at 10, the latest they would get home would be around 10:30-11.

DizNee143
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
i voted yes..you only live once!!
plus they wont be missing school the next day...it'll just be a late night...and as they get older they will have many more late nights..so why not start now!!
and if anything...obviously just dont stay for the whole night...that way you all get to go to the party and the kids wont be to tired the next day..
let us know how it goes and what happens!! :mickey:

goofysbabe
10-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I voted yes - Let me start by saying I work for a school system and have been an aide in a classroom for 6 years. If a child does well in school and is able to keep up then no problem then I don't think it will hurt, BUT if a child struggles NO WAY!!!!! It's just to hard for them and that's one more stress they just don't need. I know it's Disney but school is more important.

Disneyatic
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I voted YES.
If I read correctly, the issue is having the girls out late on a school night, not them missing a day of school. Correct?

There have been special occasions where we have had DD 8 out later than we should on school nights. But we always make sure that she makes up the sleep the next few nights by going to bed earlier and maybe sleeping 10 or 15 minutes later in the mornings for a few days.

#1disneyfan
10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I voted yes! I truly understand the meaning of education and how important it is, but I also understand how important it is to be a kid. We have taken our daughter out of school for family vacations and even recently kept her home so she could spend one last day with her grandmom before we headed to the airport. My daughter has good grades, and missing time from school has never hurt her academically. During 3 family trips to WDW during school, she has taken school work to keep up on and still had a great time. I say go for it! Life is short, and life as a kid is even shorter, they already grow up so fast! Hope it all works out!

Bethis26fan
10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I say if they haven't missed too many days take them and let them skip school the next day. Just ask the teacher for their make-up work for the day would miss.

Magic Smiles
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
I voted a definite YES. Wonder what she would think of me pulling my son out of school for 3 weeks spring 2006 (Grade 8) and this coming Dec for 2 1/2 weeks (Grade 10)?

Of course if the kids were failing, then I might have a different answer, but they aren't and they are only in Grade 5. How much will they miss in one day? You only live once and life is to short to always say I will do it sometime int he future.

tink88
10-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Yes! Take the kids!

brownie
10-24-2007, 10:30 AM
I'd have to vote no. Since you live close-by and aren't dependent on being there for vacation or anything, I'd say go on a weekend night or leave the kids at home.

I have no issue whatsoever with pulling kids out of school for a bit for family vacations and the like, but keeping them out late on a school night to go to MVMCP when it isn't really necessary is not something I'd do.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I also voted no.

PiratesCove
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I voted yes, I figure if they are young enough, by the end of the night each one of you will have a little girl on your shoulders sound :cloud9:asleep or they are old enough to start bugging you to go home when they really get tired! Just my thoughts...;)

Gottaluvgoof
10-24-2007, 10:46 AM
A definite YES! I take my kids out for a week each year to go to Disney in September. I can't stand to go during the crowded season and the free dining makes it much more affordable for us. They will remember their trips much more than they would ever remember that week in school. Sorry, but life is too short. Life should not be all about work and school. By the way, they never suffered by missing that week. The grades are fine, and for the most part, the teachers were more than happy for them.

Twinkletoes77705
10-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I said yes...being if they have good grades and are not prone to missing alot of school. Though education is VERY important....how much can a 9 yr old miss in one day???? I say go for it, yet I would not let it cause a fight between the 2 of you. There will be next year if you cant agree!
Have fun!

carribeanpirate5
10-24-2007, 12:56 PM
They are not your children, they are your friends children. It is her decision to make and you need to respect that. You may disagree with her decision, but you have to respect it. If an earlier poster is correct and she is your girlfriend, you REALLY need to respect her decison!

Tink#64
10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
I voted yes. But it is my firm opinion that the only one that truly counts is the children's parents. I personally would take mine & whether or not they'd miss school the next day would depend on how late we got in & if they were honestly too tired to function well at school the next day. I have taken mine out of school for three different trips to WDW & have made arrangements with school prior to the trip. These were also in the last 2 weeks of school when testing was over & it was basically clean up time & busy work. Their grades haven't suffered in the least for these absences. I've heard many opinions on their absences, but I feel that it is my decsion to make, and no one else's opinion really matters. This should be a fun family outing but if it's going to create hard feeling and disagreements then it probably isn't worth it. I'm sure your relationship is more important than MVMCP, and it doesn't sound like you meant any harm, but apparently it's a bigger deal to your GF than you had anticipated.

playdead88
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I vote YES!! you are gonna blink and those kids are going to be grown - we take our kids out of school 1 week every year for disney - of course they do the school work ahead of time and the teachers have always been great about getting the work together but this being a kid thing only comes around once - i think this story is fitting: the other day my mom was at my house and i was cleaning the sliding glass door and complaining that the kids fingerprints are always on the glass and my mom said one day there wont be any fingerprints on that glass, just you're husband snoring in the lazy boy :mickey:

jclightchasr
10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I would definately let them go and I would let them stay home the next day. Education is overated. How many rich employees do you know versus business owners? Do schools teach you how to run and operate your own business? IMHO.

rt207
10-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Whether we think the children should be allowed to go, or not, is irrelevant. If the mother is adamant that she does not want her children to go, that is her decision to make. I understand where you're coming from because I am in a 8 year relationship with someone with a daughter and I have my son. We get input from each other and discuss issues, but the actual parent makes the final call and we have to respect that.

Me? I'd go if there were no weekend nights available. Good luck!

LibertyTreeGal
10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I would never try to coerce parents into anything they feel is inappropriate. They know their kids and routines best and probably won't appreciate anyone butting in, especially if you live so close that you can do WDW fairly often. I wouldn't dream of asking more than once.

If someone nagged me about something as relatively unimportant as this, they'd sure get an earful. It's one thing to talk to a parent when they are being destructive or dangerous, but not letting them do WDW is neither dangerous, destructive, or even important in the whole scheme of things. They can do it once they are 18, and they really will not suffer any ill effects from being "deprived."

AbeeNormal
10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I vote YES!! you are gonna blink and those kids are going to be grown - we take our kids out of school 1 week every year for disney - of course they do the school work ahead of time and the teachers have always been great about getting the work together but this being a kid thing only comes around once - i think this story is fitting: the other day my mom was at my house and i was cleaning the sliding glass door and complaining that the kids fingerprints are always on the glass and my mom said one day there wont be any fingerprints on that glass, just you're husband snoring in the lazy boy :mickey:

Boy.... ain't that the truth..... Enjoy them now while they still want to be in the same room with you. :mickey3::mickey3:

Big_Pete's_Auto_Sales
10-24-2007, 04:38 PM
my mom took me out of school for a week to go to wdw for mnsshp
i had a blast!:thumbsup:

hoop de do
10-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes. A family bond experience never cracks. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

cal5755
10-24-2007, 05:07 PM
A definite YES! I take my kids out for a week each year to go to Disney in September. I can't stand to go during the crowded season and the free dining makes it much more affordable for us. They will remember their trips much more than they would ever remember that week in school. Sorry, but life is too short. Life should not be all about work and school. By the way, they never suffered by missing that week. The grades are fine, and for the most part, the teachers were more than happy for them.

That is us totally!! We take the kids out of school for a week when we go in September. Never had a problem... the rule is all work is made up and if grades fall then that one child stays home next trip. Never had a problem though...DS 12 and DD 8 are both honor students. I say go for it... it is so true that we do not know what tomorrow brings... enjoy all you can while you can!!

kakn7294
10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I voted "yes" but only if there is no chance you can go on a weekend date instead so they won't miss school. I don't think they should miss school if they don't have to.

Jeff G
10-24-2007, 05:15 PM
i think this story is fitting: the other day my mom was at my house and i was cleaning the sliding glass door and complaining that the kids fingerprints are always on the glass and my mom said one day there wont be any fingerprints on that glass, just you're husband snoring in the lazy boy :mickey:

That is so true, my doors are always fingerprinted and also so fitting to my dad and the lazy boy.

I voted yes as well based on the decision being mine. Kids are kids for such a short time and I like to enjoy every moment with them I can. We pull our kids from school once a week every year for WDW and at the end of each school year they are not any further behind from their classmates. Receiving an education is very important to my family but spending family time and building memories is equally important. We always look at it that time spent doing fun things as a family make much better family ties and memories and may help keep our kids on a path that we would approve.

My opinion aside , I think that you have to respect the decision that your GF makes and support it even if it is that the kids miss out. As you can see by the posts this is an opinion that varies and everyone places a different value on school time/nights.

princessjojo
10-24-2007, 05:42 PM
I am typically one of those mean moms who never lets the kids stay home, unless they show physical signs of illness. School is very important in our home and as with shopping I am always looking to get more than what I actually pay for, especially with education.

HOWEVER, I'm guessing this is going to be pretty close around the time of the holiday season, hince MVMCP, so there isn't a lot of really stressfull stuff getting done in the timeframe of 1/2 of a day or even a whole day. I would say go, but only if the girls could get the school work that would be missed and do it before the next school day. Go and have fun. It may mean making concessions with your GF or asking her to meet you 1/2 way. Look at all of the kids you see at baseball games each night or hockey games. It's really not much different.

It can work if you really want it to work. Go and have a great time!

Daisy'sMom
10-24-2007, 08:13 PM
And this is exactly why we homeschooled our daughter, and why I can't stand public schools. Bottom line, it's the parent(s) call. Personally, if grades are good and they aren't missing a major exam (which really wouldn't apply for elementary school aged kids), I would have no problem doing a family activity. I mean, they school will send the kids on all day field trips to the local zoo...how is that any different than a parent taking a child out for a family activity? Trust me, every field trip I've ever been on (as a kid or adult chaperone) has had no real academic value. Ok, off my soapbox. :soapbox: I know my views aren't popular. Trust me, as a parent who homeschooled, I've heard it all. Bottom line, I don't see why missing one day would destroy a child's education. If it were my kid, I'd happily let her miss a day and go. :mickey:

Thank you:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
10-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Take them and enjoy the night.:thumbsup: You never know when someone will be taken from you and then it will be too late. Depressing I know but so sadly true:mickey:

Pocahontas
10-25-2007, 07:45 AM
I voted yes, but only because you can't go on a non-school night, the kids are not in high school, and because they get good grades. (Once they're in high school, I would vote no; due to the fact you can miss alot even in one day.)

I do agree with what others have posted. This is the parent's decision and it really isn't right to question her choice on how to raise her children.

carribeanpirate5
10-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I would definately let them go and I would let them stay home the next day. Education is overated. How many rich employees do you know versus business owners? Do schools teach you how to run and operate your own business? IMHO.

I hope I am missing the sarcasm here. Education is overrated?

wedway76
10-25-2007, 12:59 PM
It’s really up to the girl’s mom. I can’t vote. Parents need to provide their kids with a consistent message. If their mom has always told the girls that school comes first, then she needs to stick with that message.

irish1967
10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
OK - throwing this out here and not voting (but am definitely firmly in the "it's the mother's decision camp)

Will the mom go without the kids?

If that is the case, I vote for taking her alone! Experiencing Disney as a couple is definitely one of the most enjoyable experiences my DH and I have had as a couple (yes, we left the kids home (with a responsible babysitter) to do it!) :cool: