PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairs in airports--tipping

princessM0m
10-22-2007, 12:36 PM
My DG is flying with us to Orlando and we will be using the wheelchair services provided at the airports. Can anyone give me any guidance on what we should tip the person who wheels my DG around?

Beast_fanatic
10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
bumping this up in hopes that you'll get some first-hand info...

MNNHFLTX
10-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't have any personal experience with it, buy my understanding has been that the wheelchair services offered by the airports/airlines are complimentary to those needing it and tipping is not required, unless they provide an extra service, like handling your luggage or if they assist you for an extended period of time.

AirlineGuy07
10-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Its not necessary to tip because its a service provided by the airline however if you feel like you need or want to thats ok too. I'm sure they won't turn down a tip from someone.

ChipDale2708
10-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Lots of experience here. I have been getting wheelchair service for the past three years for my Mom at all airports w/ Southwest. We have not had a single problem anywhere and have received amazing, exceptional service from chair pushers. I couldn't be more grateful to these people. We always tip at least $5 and have tipped more depending on service level. I have had them take my carry ons as well as hers. They take you (generally) through a separate security screener so you are not rushed and end up without a long wait. We have had some that will ask for descriptions of our luggage and help look for them and pull them off the carousel at luggage claim. Once in Vegas when we determined a bag missed the plane, he was off to the office w/ my claim ticket to get the paperwork before I even blinked! :thumbsup:

Maybe it isn't necessary to tip them, but anyone who makes my life traveling that much easier gets one from me. :cloud9: I could never handle all our bags, find where we're supposed to be and push my Mom at the same time.