PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek Movie

diz_girl
10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't know if this has been discussed before - I've been away for a while having a baby.

I just read the casting for the new Star Trek movie and it looks interesting. Here it is:

Kirk - Chris Pine (the love interest from Princess Diaries 2)
Spock - Zachary Qunito (Sylar from Heroes) and Leonard Nimoy (of course).
Bones - Karl Urban (from LOTR - the Rohan dude - and the Bourne Supremacy - the Russian assasin).
Scotty - Simon Pegg (from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz).
Uhura - Zoe Saldana (the female pirate from the first POTC movie).
Sulu - John Cho (from Harld and Kumar - I LOVE that movie - next up is Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - no I'm not kidding).
Checkov - Anton Yelchin (from Charlie Bartlett - he was in the title role).
Nero - the baddie - Eric Bana (he was the Hulk and was also in Munich and Troy).

The movie is to cover their days during or just after Starfleet Academy, seen as a flashback from an older Spock. JJ Abrams is directing. Release date is December 2008.

IMHO - It's a good cast, a decent director (although he mainly has done TV work - Alias, Hercules and Xena) and if the script is halfway decent, then it'll be worth seeing. I can see Simon Pegg being excellent as Scotty and stealing every scene. I can't see Karl Urban as Bones - he's just too much of a hottie - but he has intensity and that's what the person playing Bones needs.

Discuss.

ibrowse17
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I do not have a good feeling about this movie, but hopes it will live long and prosper.:thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
10-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Ah, Herc and Xena -- no wonder he cast Karl Urban (he played Julius Ceasar) and yes he is a mega-hottie! I adore the idea of Zachary Quinto as Spock, it's eerie how much they look alike.

But am I the only one who wishes they would cast Masi Oka as Sulu? ;)

Let's hope it's another Khan or First Contact :thumbsup:, and not another Insurrection or Undiscovered Country :ack:

ChipnDaleGal
10-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I have high hopes that this movie will rock my socks off!! I am a long time Star Trek nerd, my favorite version being the Next Geberation crew. I think the cast for this new film is amazing. Zachery as Spock is brilliant. I love Karl Urban and I think he can be a great Bones, granted much hotter than the original. Anton Yelchin is a fantastic actor and since he was born in Russia he should have the accent thing nailed. But be far, for me personally, the best thing about this new film is Eric Bana! :heart: He is my favorite actor and I am really pumped to see him in the villian role. He was a bad man in Chopper, but I think this one will be more fun to watch. He has the most intense black eyes, perfect for a villian. I just hope I don't have to watch him die like in Troy.

Anyway, fingers crossed for a smart and engaging script with lots of that Star Trek humor thrown in, and I can't wait for next December. Could be my favorite Christmas present! :D

Dr_Nigel_C
10-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Looking forward to this as well - although I just read an article on CNN.com this morning that Shatner will not be appearing in the movie, although at one point Abrams had said he'd be in it.

:-(

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!

Diznee4Me
10-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Longtime Star Trek fan so I am hoping for the best for the franchise. :fingers: That being said I hope the script does not careen to far off of established Star Trek canon. Enterprise, which I really enjoyed, had a bit of a problem tinkering with established timelines so fanatics :D like me were constantly screaming at the set!:fit: Here's hoping the new movie does well, pleases the fans and rejuvenates the franchise!:thumbsup: