PDA

View Full Version : Personal experience with MRSA?

TikiGoddess
10-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi all,

Pixie dust needed. I am a wreck this morning (and have to leave for work in 10 min!). My youngest DD (she'll be 3 in a couple of weeks) has been on antibiotics twice since Aug because of a 'boil' on her bottom (poor kid, she's been sitting on pillows a lot). The first one appeared around Aug 10. We took her to the doc, they said it looked like an infected hair follicle, gave her antibiotics. Cleared up, no problem.

Now on Oct 10 we took her again for the same problem. This was another doctor (and my mother-in-law took her, so all I have is a 2nd hand account) and he gave her antibiotics, said if it didn't go away they would lance it and do some tests.

So she's at the end of her antibiotics and it looks MUCH better. There's still a red spot where it was. But then my school sent home a report on MRSA and how we need to be careful at school etc.etc. Looked it up on the net and now I'm scared to death that this is what DD has.

My fears come from a lack of information. I found some info but would really like to hear from anyone who has personally dealt with this situation... how will this affect DD? Is it a long term infection? Is she in any danger? When is she contagious? What do we need to do to keep her from spreading the infection at daycare/home?

I am taking her to the doctor ASAP, but sure could use some reassurance from anyone now. I know we've got a ton of talented nurses out there on I'COT!

Thanks for any words of advice.
Kathy

SBETigg
10-22-2007, 08:55 AM
I can't answer any of your questions, I can only tell you, Mom to Mom, to hang in there and try not to jump to conclusions.

It's so hard when scary news reports come out and we start to look at our kids, and maybe some symptoms fit, and the inevitable freak out follows. But maybe she's fine and it's not even MRSA. In my house, we all had colds when the SARS thing struck a few years ago and I got myself seriously worked up over my youngest, who turned out to have a bad cold and nothing more. We have enough stress as moms. Maybe some of the on-board medical people will come on soon and have more soothing actual scientific words to add. In the meantime, you're doing the right things, one step at a time, and :pixie: for you and the DD.

NJMommy3
10-22-2007, 09:12 AM
MRSA is usually a hospital acquired infection. It is a resistant form of the staph bacteria that generally only responds to combination antibiotics (like vancomycin and rocephin) administered intravenously. Everyone is exposed to staph, it can enter through a small cut or break in the skin. That is common and it sounds possible that the infection your daughter has is staph, however, the chances of it being this particular strain is very slim. DON'T PANIC!!!! Again, this is generally acquired in hospitals, very rare in a school setting. The only way to know for sure is to culture the wound and blood to identify the strain. But if she is responding to the antibiotics she's getting now, that's going overboard. Again, DON'T PANIC! If your doc really suspects resisitant infection, he'll order those tests.

Good Luck to both of you.:nurse:

murphy1
10-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Sounds like staph to me too. Try to keep as calm as you can right now, I know it's tough. There is a lot right now where I live, from staph infections and I have allergies that developed into an infection, but luckily I got some good drugs to kick it out and I feel good now.

Sunshine1010
10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree with NJMommy3. This 'infection' usually is acquired in the hospital. Yes, it can be serious....especially if the patient has acquired it by airborn pathogens....or if it goes untreated.

I've picked up several patients in my EMS career that had MRSA. We always used extra precautions. The worst was a patient that had acquired it via airborne. We literally had to suit up (required by the hospital) with headgear and surgical uniforms. I've had patients that had MRSA through injuries (infections), blood infections, etc.

To be honest....from what you are describing....you don't need to worry about this. If you want peace of mind...go to your regular doctor and get some blood tests.

Good luck hon.....and I hope your daughter starts having some relief.

TiggeRia
10-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I am an ER nurse in my local community hospital. MRSA used to be typically a hospital acquired infection but over the past few years has been seen more and more in a community based setting. I call several people a day who only had a visit in the ER to have an abcess drained (or to have another wound checked) with positive culture results. Also, many people are probably carriers of the infection, and don't even know it because they have no open wounds on their body and have strong immune systems to fight it off.

You do not necessarily need IV antibiotics, milder cases can be treated as an outpatient with generally a two week course of multiple oral antibiotics. Just make sure they have a culture and sensitivity so they know exactly what antibiotics are susceptible. MRSA typically only tends to cause health problems in infants, the very old, and the immunocompromised. Basically, you just need to keep your DD away from those types of people until it has healed, and practice good hygiene. Wash your hands (and heres) a lot and clean the items that she may come in contact with-ie: the toilet since the infection is on her bottom.

Unfortunately, MRSA is becoming more common outside of the hospital setting. Try not to panic, like I said it can be successfully treated with oral antibiotics. Just make sure she takes them exactly as directed and finishes the entire bottle. I hope this helps and good luck!!

MNNHFLTX
10-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I just want to reassure you too, Kathy, that if the wound has been responding to the oral antibiotics and is almost healed, chances are that it was not the antibiotic-resistant staph that she was infected with. Just to clarify too--staphylococcus bacteria is a bug that people carry on their skin and sometimes in their nasal passages. MRSA is the antibiotic-resistant strain of it. Staph is fairly common--they say 25-40% of the population is a carrier, it's just that they don't become develop an infection unless they develop a wound or their immune system becomes compromised. MRSA itself is far less common.

By all means, ask your daughter's doctor about this. Is it possible they already did a wound culture back when you first sought treatment? If so, they would be able to tell you what bacteria they found. At this point if the boil is almost healed, it wouldn't be appropriate to culture it. You can clarify this with the doctor, but I don't know why there would be any reason to suspect your daughter is contagious with anything right now, any more than any other child anyway. Many schools are sending out similar notices due to a few isolated cases and the purpose is mainly to drive home to students and their parents the need for frequent handwashing at school and home, to prevent these infections.

NJBelle
10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi all,

So she's at the end of her antibiotics and it looks MUCH better. There's still a red spot where it was. But then my school sent home a report on MRSA and how we need to be careful at school etc.etc. Looked it up on the net and now I'm scared to death that this is what DD has.

My fears come from a lack of information. I found some info but would really like to hear from anyone who has personally dealt with this situation... how will this affect DD? Is it a long term infection? Is she in any danger? When is she contagious? What do we need to do to keep her from spreading the infection at daycare/home?

Well, I am not a nurse, but very well could be from all the hospital experiance I've had.

Anyway, I had a MRSA last year. The doctor did say that it was contagious and that you need to be tested to make sure it's not. (I wasn't tested right after I healed.) Anyway, after antibiotics and soaking it in epson (sp?) salt water, it went away.

That was in August. Then in November, when I went into the hospital for chemo and they asked me the list of illnesses, surgeries, medications ect that I had, I remembered by some stroke of odd luck that I had had an MRSA. Well, they gave me a private room and I couldn't go anywhere. (got very boring :D) Later, they tested me (drew blood). It turns out that I'm not contagious any more.

I'm just wondering, was your DD ever in the hospital before? Normally MRSAs come from the hospital. However, mine came from a bug bite.

mouseaddict
10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
NJBelle
It is pretty much a universal precaution to place a patient that has had MRSA in the past nto an isolation room. We do it at our hospitals. We are now swabbing everyone who is high risk..
Community acquired MRSA is becoming more and more common now (thanks in part to the over-use of antibiotics) and it can be dangerous to those who are immunocompromised.
Going to the doc for a culture is a wise move. Hopefully all turns out well! Keep us posted!

Dsnygirl
10-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Kathy!

You've gotten such a bunch of great information that I really can't add much to it, but just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you, and that we also got the letter about MRSA in our daughters' schools!! I was pretty nervous at first, as I see it once in awhile at the hospital and the folks we get are put in isolation... but that is only to protect them if they're already sick from any other "bugs" out there, not b/c the MRSA makes them sick. And many folks who've had it no longer carry it once they're treated.

Good luck to you and your DD -- sending some :pixie::pixie: her way that everything will turn out fine!! :thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
10-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Okay, TOTALLY overreacted this morning. Now I know why I need to get 8 hrs sleep before thinking about things like this...

I went and talked to the school nurse and she said everything you guys said. That she's had a lot of parents ask her about it, that it's been around for a LONG time, and that it would be unusual for DD to have MRSA. She MIGHT have a stubborn infection but the fact that she has responded to antibiotics is very good.

My hubby (to be honest, he didn't help the situation, he's a little hypocondriacal) is going to take DD to the doctor tomorrow for whatever tests (if they can test her) or advice they have. My main concern is to protect the other kids that she comes in contact with, if she does have something other than a normal infection. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I'll let you know what the doc says! Thanks for all the advice!!!!! :grouphug:

Kathy

MNNHFLTX
10-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Glad to hear that you were able to put your mind to rest, at least a little, Kathy. And it's understandable to to worry about such things. Being a nurse sometimes makes me think of the worst possible scenarios and privately freak out a bit where my own family's health is concerned. People close to me know I have a saying--"A little knowledge is a good and evil thing." ;)

merlinmagic4
10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Kathy,

I hope it is nothing (and is healed soon)! I've been thinking about it myself but for no good reason. It has also been in the local news here.

I don't want to hijack your thread but I am wondering if anyone knows what happens with immunosuppressed people and MRSA?

jillluvsdisney
10-22-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm glad your daughter is doing well and I can't imagine how frightened it would be to have been in your situation. I'm glad you were able to get some piece of mind.

I do have to say, however, this is a perfect example of the media giving out a little information and scaring people to death. First it was SARS then it was bird flu, now MRSA. Something new is bound to come along that will be made a huge deal out of.

disneymom07
10-22-2007, 10:00 PM
I have a friend (who is also a nurse as I am) who had a similar problem with a boil. The doctor gave her oral antibiotics and it went away, for awhile. This went on a few times when finally she got a script for a cream called Mupirocin 2%. It cleared up and has not returned. Maybe you can mention this cream to your doctor tomorrow.
The media is doing a good job of scaring people about MRSA. As with any infetion, good hand washing is the key.
Good luck with your daughter.

TikiGoddess
10-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi all,

Yup, she's fine. DH took DD to the doctor today and they said she's okay. She's still healing (and this is after 2 weeks of antibiotics) but they said to watch the wound and if it gets worse, to bring her in and they'll run some tests.

Thanks for the support. Gotta love I'COT!!
Kathy

SBETigg
10-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the update! I'm so glad she's doing well.

DisneyDudet
10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
The only way to fully know it is MRSA or any kind of Staph infection is if you culture the wound, or blood. And then, not all MRSA strands are the same, so, there's so much staph!

All of our history of MRSA and current MRSA patients get a private room. We let them leave the room, but must wear a mask and gloves. Keeping them in the room is a little much.

Not to scare anyone, but staph is everywhere. People can be carriers for years and never know. If you are a carrier, it really doesn't negatively affect you, unless you are immunocompromised. We swab all those at high risk, and those who state they have had a history of.

Now, your little one's boils are probably caused by staph, but not MRSA. If it were MRSA, they would not be responding to the antibiotics. The best thing to do to keep these thing away is to wash the skin very well with soap and water, and dry very well before putting clothes on. Loose fitting clothes are best, because it allows the skin to breathe. I see a lot of sores like that are in areas where clothes or undergarments tend to be constricting or where moisture likes to stay.

Also, to help reduce the antibiotic resistant "super bugs" from developing in the future, everyone needs to take all of the antibiotics that doctors prescribe. Some of these bugs have evolved because they get a taste of the antibiotic, and develop a defense against them, thus being resistant. This is why they say not to stop taking them when you feel better. Also, doctors giving out antibiotics on non-bacterial infections like the flu and common cold has helped create super bugs. People go to the dr and want medicine, an abx(antibiotic). They will write a script and patient's are happy. They think they get better b/c of the meds, but really, it just ran its course by that time.

Off my :soapbox:

I am truly glad that your little girl will be fine. People who have an abcess, usually get them again, for some odd reason. Hopefully you've knocked out the bug that did it!

TikiGoddess
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, the antibiotics did okay... for a while. We've been checking her daily to see how she's healing and everything has looked okay -- still a scar but not swollen or getting worse.

Until tonight at bath time. It's turning darker and my DD is complaining it hurts again, poor kid. So, off to the doctor's we go tomorrow, and hopefully this time they'll run tests and get the right antibiotic to knock this thing out!

Kathy

ElenitaB
11-13-2007, 08:11 PM
:pixie: to your little one, Kathy!

Dsnygirl
11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, the antibiotics did okay... for a while. We've been checking her daily to see how she's healing and everything has looked okay -- still a scar but not swollen or getting worse.

Until tonight at bath time. It's turning darker and my DD is complaining it hurts again, poor kid. So, off to the doctor's we go tomorrow, and hopefully this time they'll run tests and get the right antibiotic to knock this thing out!

Kathy

Kathy, I'm sending more :pixie::pixie::pixie: your DD's way... can't have my birthday twin getting sick again!! :) Good luck tomorrow - I hope they kick this thing!! :fingers:

DisneyDudet
11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Aw, poor little thing!

One thing that no one mentioned (not even me), is that sometimes, people who have an abcess, tend to get them every so often.

How long was she on abx(antibiotics)? It might be that the therapy was not long enough to knock the critter causing this out.

The only way to be ENTIRELY accurate (as far as I know) in finding out exactly what is causing this sore is for them to culture the abcess. This would require lancing or cutting it to culture the inside. They can't do a simple blood test, because the bacteria may not be in the blood (you don't want that anyway!). This can be very painful, and can lead to the possibility of more infections.

Hopefully she just needs a longer stent on the abx to kick it. I still doubt it is MRSA, as it has responded to the abx already given.

Good luck to you and DD. :pixie: on the way!

browneyedgirl12
11-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a question. Is there any symptoms of MRSA that can be an early indication that some one has it? Or is it just an infection you get because you have an open wound?

TikiGoddess
11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
How long was she on abx(antibiotics)? It might be that the therapy was not long enough to knock the critter causing this out.

The first time she took the abx for 10 days, I think. The second time she finished the entire bottle, about 2 weeks. This time they gave us another abx and it goes for 7 days. They couldn't test the boil this time because it isn't bad enough -- we took her in as soon as we saw it getting worse. If this round of medicine doesn't work, we're definitely going to push to get her tested so we can find the right thing to give her.

Thanks for all the help and well wishes!!
Kathy

Donald A
11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
MRSA is something to be concerned about but is really being overblown by the media and unnecessarily worrying people. MRSA can be treated and everyday new antibiotics are coming out that are effective against it. (I was at a seminar last month and learned about several of them) There are different types of MRSA, community aquired and hospital acquired. Hospital aquired MRSA is worse but still treatable. In some hospitals, as high as 50% of diagnosed infections are MRSA.

Of course, when a loved one has an infection we get worried. Best wishes to you and I hope everything turns out fine.

Here we go again...
11-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Hopefully it is a staph infection. Those are not pleasant... quite painful but nothing like MRSA.

Here is our experience:
In 2005 we took our first Caribbean cruise. On the 2nd to last day Taylor got what we thought was a pimple on her booty. The next day it hurt so bad she was in tears and could barely sit down. We went to the infermary (sp?) because we thought it might be a spider bite. We were told it was a pimple. We got home and it got worse... we brought her to the doctor and were told it was staph. The antibiotics did little to help. We put her in a tub of hot water 2 or 3 times a day. After about a week it popped... it was horrible and scared her to death. Blood just started spraying out and running down her legs. We got her in a tub and cleaned her up. The pain was gone instantly and she has had no more problems.

3 Weeks ago my sister came to visit from Colorado. While she was in town she got what she thought was a pimple on her side. I looked at it and told her that it looked like the staph Taylor had 2 years ago. She went to the doctor here and got antibiotics. Day after day it got worse. She finally flew home and had a biopsy done because the skin was turning grey around the area. Turns out that she had MRSA. They have no idea how or where she got it. They thought she may have been exposed on the flight coming over... then she exposed others going home. It has been 3 weeks and the skin around the area is looking dead. We are not sure what will happen next, some of it may have to be cut away.

Anyway, unless it starts to turn blue or grey it is probably a basic staph infection.
Keep us posted. I am sure she is in a lot of pain... here is a little :pixie: to help ease the pain.

DisneyDudet
11-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Hopefully it is a staph infection. Those are not pleasant... quite painful but nothing like MRSA.

Here is our experience:
In 2005 we took our first Caribbean cruise. On the 2nd to last day Taylor got what we thought was a pimple on her booty. The next day it hurt so bad she was in tears and could barely sit down. We went to the infermary (sp?) because we thought it might be a spider bite. We were told it was a pimple. We got home and it got worse... we brought her to the doctor and were told it was staph. The antibiotics did little to help. We put her in a tub of hot water 2 or 3 times a day. After about a week it popped... it was horrible and scared her to death. Blood just started spraying out and running down her legs. We got her in a tub and cleaned her up. The pain was gone instantly and she has had no more problems.

3 Weeks ago my sister came to visit from Colorado. While she was in town she got what she thought was a pimple on her side. I looked at it and told her that it looked like the staph Taylor had 2 years ago. She went to the doctor here and got antibiotics. Day after day it got worse. She finally flew home and had a biopsy done because the skin was turning grey around the area. Turns out that she had MRSA. They have no idea how or where she got it. They thought she may have been exposed on the flight coming over... then she exposed others going home. It has been 3 weeks and the skin around the area is looking dead. We are not sure what will happen next, some of it may have to be cut away.

Anyway, unless it starts to turn blue or grey it is probably a basic staph infection.
Keep us posted. I am sure she is in a lot of pain... here is a little :pixie: to help ease the pain.

The case with your sister is probably very rare. I have not heard of many cases like that, but, then again, I work with mostly hearts. I am very sorry that she is having to go through this! I have had many patients go into surgery and "catch" MRSA in their wounds. I mean, most of our nurses are really good about washing their hands and using the hand sanitizer, but it does happen.

Angel, you bring up a good point about soaking. TikiG, you could try having DD sit in warm water often, maybe use some Epsom salt every other time or so. If it does break skin at any point, make sure to put some Neosporin or other antibacterial ointment on it, with a barrier (ideally, a waterproof one) to help keep the open skin clean.

You are being VERY proactive about this, which is great. Hopefully it does not come down to having the pesky spot cultured, as I said before, it is quite painful, especially since it is on her bottom. You can ALWAYS go to a dermatologist, who may have a little bit more experience with these types of sores. Its always good to get a second opinion, especially if the opinion you have gotten does not satisfy you.

Best of luck with this! Remember, some of us are carriers of MRSA but are not contagious or sick. We just carry it. Staph lives on our skin, which is why when you have a cut, you need to wash it. Many times, people have open wounds and it gets infected, usually with the staph that lives on our skin.

I hope this clears up soon! :pixie: for everyone!