PDA

View Full Version : Christine and Cheryl's Dining reviews 10/12

Hammer
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
My sister Cheryl will try to add her comments to this thread if she has a chance, but she is going to be very busy at work the next few weeks.

Friday 10/12

Light meal- Kona Café

I arrived at WDW earlier than Cheryl and we did not have dinner scheduled at Wolfgang Puck Café until 9:30. As all I had eaten that day was the snacks given to me on my Southwest flight, I ordered some sticky wings while Emily, Ian, Gary, and Frankie had full dinners. The sticky wings were quite good and may be my favorite appetizer I have had at Kona Café. A decent sized portion and the wings were quite meaty. I paid out of pocket for my wings.

Dinner- Wolfgang Puck Café

This was a Dining Plan meal (1 TS credit- 2 used). For appetizers, I had the soup of the day which was a cream of mushroom soup and Cheryl had the calamari. She wasn't crazy about the curry aioli which accompanied the dish, but they were quite willing to give her some marinara sauce for dipping. The calamari was tasty, but my soup was probably the appetizer winner. It was wonderfully flavored with a hint of garlic. For our entrées, I had the meatloaf and Cheryl had the wolf-redo fettuccine. The meatloaf was very good, but the mashed potatoes were only lukewarm and I barely ate them. Cheryl said her fettuccine was okay, but the pieces of pancetta were too big. For dessert we ordered the creme brulee, which I thought was only okay (a little too much egg) and the Mud pie which was tasty, but not very unique in taste.

Honestly, this was just an 'okay' meal. I'm glad we tried this on the dining plan. Our service was very good. I asked our server point blank on what amount they currently receive for Dining Plan customers and it is only $5 a person. As our meal cost close to $100 if we had paid out of pocket, she would only receive a 10% tip, which is unacceptable in my opinion, especially since we received great service (she was not the chef). I did find out that if we give extra money on any additional items (we ordered glasses of wine), that tip is received in full, so we supplemented her tip by adding it there, so she did receive a 20% tip (I allotted for taxes).

SBETigg
10-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I do love the wings at Kona. And wow, I had higher hopes for Wolfgang Puck Cafe. I haven't tried that one yet. Interesting on the tip. Another good excuse to order wine with dinner. :D Thanks for the review!

January-2007
10-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks for sharing.

DessertDivaFL
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear you had a so-so experience at Wolfgang Puck's. We have never been disappointed there. I also agree the service is quite good and they are deserving of a 20% tip. Thank you for posting your comments!

TBY2225
10-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the great review! I can't believe they only get $5! That is too bad!

ElenitaB
10-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for getting the scoop on what the WPC servers ultimately received from the 18% gratuity. Sorry the meal wasn't up to your expectations. I do hope to eat there one of these years.

offwego
10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Sorry the meal was blah at Wolfgang Puck's. We've always wanted to add it in but it doesn't sound worth it based on what you've had. Oh well I guess we will stick with the express option. Thanks for sharing this with us.:mickey:

Jared
10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the reviews, Christine! I completely agree about the wings at Kona Cafe--they are absolutely delicious. I especially love the mustard drizzle on top.

Looking forward to reading more!

:tasty:

ch077833
10-22-2007, 11:35 PM
I have to follow-up on my sisters post regarding Wolfgang's Café. I think this was the biggest disappointment of the trip for me. I had such high hopes! I heard from others that they liked it so maybe we just picked the wrong items or it was an off night. Sadly, I think my expectations were too high.

Cheryl