PDA

View Full Version : Next Great American Band

PirateLover
10-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Anybody watch this? I thought it was pretty good so far. I liked how they got through all 60 auditions in 2 hours and really didn't have too many novelty acts like American Idol. Maybe it's a sign of better things to come since it is the same company.
I do find it odd that the host of New Zealand Idol is hosting this show. I find his accent a bit thick and distracting. I'm shocked they didn't get Seacrest to do this, too haha!

Here are my thoughts on the finalists:
Tres Bien! - I liked them. I like retro bands though and I like all of their influences.

Light of Doom- Very interesting, to say the least. They are really skilled musicians for their age and In a few years they could be amazing but they are a little young to be playing that sort of music and expecting people to take them seriously. (Unlike Jonas Bros, Naked Bros Band who market more towards their age group). The singer also hasn't gone through puberty yet so that cold very well change their dynamic in a year or so.

The Hatch- I wasn't as impressed by them as the judges were and I didn't think the singer was that great :shrug:

The Clark Brothers- Pretty good. I have to admit when they busted out This Little Light of Mine I started cracking up because we sang that song at every mass in Kindergarten complete with hand signs and everything.

Dot Dot Dot- They have the look and stage presence but I wasn't as impressed as the judges based on that one performance. I checked out their Myspace and they sound better on there.

The Muggs- Pretty surprising. They were tight and had a good sound to them. I dig it.

Denver and the Mile High Orchestra- The band was great. I agree with the judges that the frontman is a bit lacking. His voice is OK but when you are in that position you really have to be able to sell it and bring it home. I love big bands though so I'm pulling for them.

Sixwire- Hands down the tightest band there but they did already have a contract so you would expect them to be good.

Cliff Wagner and the Ol’ #7- I really didn't get it. The "Like A Virgin" effort was funny but overall...yea I just don't get it.

Franklin Bridge- I was really surprised! I've never heard of these guys which is surprising since I know a lot of the local bands. They are pretty good. I think they were a bit nervous but they can jam and I think they will be a fierce competitor

Rocket- I love chick bands, being a chick myself, but I thought they kinda stunk and the lead singer needs to dress in a more flattering manner.

The Likes of You- The short clip featured the guys falsetto... which I found to be annoying. The lead singer also kind of looks like Phil Stacey from last season's AI. I'll have to see more of them.