PDA

View Full Version : I have to ask why?????

tinktude
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
OK, here it goes(sorry this is long)....My DH and I have two wonderful children; a DS who is almost 10, and a DD who is almost 7. The question I have is does anyone seem to notice in their families that all the bad things seem to happen to just one of their kids???

My DD has been through alot in her short little life. Mind you none of the things she has had happen are life threatening, but probably traumatizing to her. I am in no way comparing her troubles to kids who are truly ill. It just seems that she got the short end of the stick.

It started when she was 8 months old and she got her first set of ear tubes. They fell out around 2 years old, and almost immediately she needed a new set. This time the adenoids have to come out along with getting a new set of tubes.

At age four we get allergy testing, it shows no allergies, we then start getting recurring strep infections, so at age 5 we have to get the toncils out. We thought we were finally finished after this last surgery, but nope here comes something else.

The pediatrician discovers a pre-cancerous mole on the back of her head. So back to the operating room we go..thank goodness the mole had not started to change and everything was benign.

So once again we think that everything is okay, but then she starts having trouble with asthma, and sinus problems. We had allergy testing again....this time it shows that she is allergic to mold, grass, ragweed, and some trees. This explains alot, but still dealing with the drugs everyday.

So now we get to this week and the dentist appointment. She has recently lost her two front teeth, and seems to have issues with the bottom teeth not falling out before the new teeth come in. (looks a bit like a shark mouth)
The dentist now says that she will have to have braces and some oral surgery. The little piece of tissue that connects your lip to your gums is too tight and will cause a large gap between her front teeth, so it will have to be removed or "released".

I guess I just feel bad for her, she takes everything in stride and it doesn't seem to bother her too much, but it sure does bother me. I often wonder how one of my kids can have absolutely nothing ever happen to them and the other one just gets "kicked".

Sorry I just had to vent...

PirateLover
10-21-2007, 12:55 AM
:pixie: that is tough to have to be constantly at the doctors. I know what it's like, I had a lot of issues as a child and even now as an adult. I had my adenoids taken out and eartubes put in when I was 7. Once I got putty earplugs stuck in my ear and had to go under surgery to get it out. I've had 2nd degree burns on my thighs, allergy problems, stomach issues. I sucked my thumb until age 6 and had to get a permanent retainer put in as a result for close to a year. As an adult I have new problems. But at the heart of it I'm still a pretty happy person. All you can do is hope for the best. I think it's great that your DD is coping well with all of this. Just try to take everything in stride and be grateful that she is able to handle it. I hope that her string of bad luck ends soon!

Tink&Goofy
10-21-2007, 01:28 AM
We have one like that too. Our middle DD is hearing impaired - so after having tubes in at 1 year, she had surgery to have a cochlear implant when she was 2. :doctor::nurse: About a year later she fell against a bookcase, and split the back of her head open. :doctor: No permanent damage - just a scar that is hidden by her hair. Then about a year later she fell on the playground and hit her mouth on the cross bar of a climbing structure, pushing all of her front teeth back up into her gums! OUCH! :doctor::nurse: They were baby teeth (fortunately) and all came back down, and no damage to her permanent teeth. Age 5 - had to have the tonsils & adnoids out (actually this was a good thing - since she sleeps so much better). A couple years later she got ahold of carpet stain remover, and quickly sprayed it in her eye - off to the emergency room again!! :ambal:With her, its not a matter of IF something else will happen, it is WHEN. Its been a relatively quiet few year, and she just turned 13. :whew:I hate to say we are over the worse, but I can keep my fingers crossed. The amazing thing is this kid has a totally positive outlook, and takes it all in stride! Wouldn't it be great if we were all like that?

The scary part? She's going to want to get her driver's license in a few years! :scared:

alphamommy
10-21-2007, 02:02 AM
<snip>
The little piece of tissue that connects your lip to your gums is too tight and will cause a large gap between her front teeth, so it will have to be removed or "released".
<snip>

I had to have this done before I could get my braces off. Since DD had the same gap (and the same gum tissue as I did), we talked to the dentist about doing it ahead of braces to see if we could avoid them. He sent us to an orthodontist for a consultation, and she had her frenectomy (spelling?) done this past June. He said that, if both her front teeth were out at the same time, they could do it before braces.

While it isn't fun, it was a pretty quick, in-office procedure done by an oral surgeon. As DD's adult teeth have come in, the gap has narrowed considerably. Our dentist believes that, when the adult teeth next to her front teeth come in, she may lose her gap completely!

Sorry for you and your little one! Here's hoping that all will go well for her!! :pixie:

magicofdisney
10-21-2007, 04:18 AM
I'm sometimes amazed at how well kids can handle situations at times. I think with strong family support, they can tolerate many an ordeal. It sounds like your family is doing its job seeing her through each adversity and because of that she can take it in "stride" as you say.

As a parent, I understand the heart wrenching feeling of seeing your little one suffer. I was never prepared to hurt emotionally, as bad or worse than my kids suffer physically. I guess that's just part of being a parent. :blush: And I think you're doing pretty well. :)

mickey&missy
10-21-2007, 04:53 PM
:hugs: I would feel the same way you do. Poor little princess!

Your completely right, it seems that its always the same kids who get sick and have issues.

Hopefully, as she gets bigger she'll grow out of it and everything will be fine!! Good luck!