PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant at the parks

CosmicRay
10-20-2007, 09:45 PM
We paid for our trip in full back in September, a week later found out we are pregnant with our third kiddo. We have tried to get back to WDW for the past 2 years and things came up and couldnt take our kids. This year, we are going, they have EARNED this trip! We are looking at this as we may not come back till this baby is about 2 or 3 so we are making this trip count! Our kids are 5 and 6 and are finally tall enough to ride some of the more thrilling rides. DS is 5 and a huge Star Wars nut so he is so excited about riding Star Tours. I'm a little sad that I won't get to ride some of the faster, crazier rides, but I'm glad DH will get to have that fun time and memories with the kids. So far I've been kinda rambling, my big question is for all those moms who have gone while pregnant. I will be 4 months along and I want to enjoy the parks and the moments too, but not over exhaust myself. Any tips or advise? I will be looking out for the park benches and while the family is on Space Mountain, I will take a leasure ride on the TTA and take it easy. I just want the family to have fun and me too. So help me if you can!

TexasPrincessAurora
10-20-2007, 10:59 PM
We went to DW (in Sept.) when I was 6 months pregnant with DS. We went again when I was 1 month (in Jan.), 4 months (in April) and 6 months (in June) with DD. I made it through all trips with very little issue. You're going during a cooler part of the year so that will help. The biggest thing, and having younger kids should help you do this, is to go back to the resort and take a break in the afternoon...go swimming, take a nap, put your feet up and rest a bit. That will help a lot. Be sure and stay hydrated. That was very important to me. If you start to get too hot, be sure and find a cool place to relax. Accept that you may have to take things at a bit of a slower pace than usual, but other than that enjoy every minute of it. There's still so much you can do and enjoy.

HeidiGW
10-20-2007, 11:19 PM
I have been pregnant the parks three times. (I don't go all the time, I'm just pregnant constantly!I have four kids, 17, 9, 7 and 18 months.;) Most recently was two Christmases ago, when I was six months along. When we went last Christmas, my sister was six months pregnant. (Our sons birthdays are five day shy of a year apart.) She scheduled her trip for the exact reasons you have stated after she found out...
ANYWAY...Talk to your doctor, but start walking now. You'll be out of the first trimester and hopefully will feel good the whole trip. (I still out-walked a dozen people in our group, including the "inshape teen-agers." I was like, "How pathetic is it that you can't keep up with an old, out of shape, pregnant woman!")

This is a great opportunity to make your family catch the shows that you might otherwise skip to ride Buzz Lightyear one more time.
When they went on rides, if possible, I would go and get good seats for shows. Like they might go on ToT or RnRRC, so I would head to Beauty and the Beast. They would just meet me there.

But I would advise not to park hop much. It really adds more walking.
But if you want to do two parks in a day, make more of less time, beat/miss the crowds. I would hit morning emh, go back the resort and rest, then go to the second park with the evening emh. Or even let hubby stay at the park longer while you head back or go to the second park sooner. Then they can do the thrill rides "without you missing them." You will have more quality time.

Don't stand in line for much of anything. If you can't get a fastpass, skip it for later. (My sister and I still enjoyed a lot of rides like Peter Pan, Small World, etc.)

Don't carry any bags, even light ones, your purse, etc. It's just extra effort you don't need to exert. It adds up. Make him carry a backback.

Also, schedule at least one sitdown meal a day. I'm not talking about a buffet, where you're up and down ten times, helping the kids etc.
This is your time to spend two hours at the Coral Reef or LeCellier. Do a dinner show.

When at MK, eat at Pecos Bills about 45 minutes before the parade. Get an outside table facing the parade route, so you can see it. (It starts by Splash Mountain.) Never stand waiting for the parade.

Drink lots of water. You will never pee so many times in a public bathroom. And eat plenty of Dole Whips. After all, the baby needs it.

CosmicRay
10-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the tips ladies! We are going for 7 days and plan to spread things out and take it easy. I will get out more and walk to be prepared. And I will get the Dole Whips!

Jenemmy
10-21-2007, 08:30 AM
First off....CONGRATS :baby:

For a few years there, my family swore that planning a Disney trip made me pregnant -- LOL. I have been there twice while pregnant, in my first trimester both times. The only thing that ever really bothered me were the smells of certain foods at buffets (Chef Mickeys, in particular, about killed me!) But, you should be past all that nonsense!

Other than obviously avoiding all the "mountains" and "Towers" and such, use this trip to really slow down and smell the roses in Disney! I was so accustomed to rush, rush, rush and hopping from one thing to another that is was actually sort of nice to be leisurely and really soak things up. You will still be able to go on a lot of kid things with your children, but for the times that Dad takes them on the wilder rides, you can poke through shops, catch shows, or even just grab a bench and people watch.

Always have a bottle of water with you and mandate family chill time sometime between lunch and dinner back at the resort!

Have a great time!!!

faline
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Congrats!

My sister-in-law was newly pregnant when we went this past January. She sat out the obvious ride - Tower of Terror, Expedition:Everest etc. but did get to enjoy many of the rides and shows. We just took things slowly and didn't rush. I think the cooler temps in January also helped!

teambricker04
10-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Congrats :)

I have been to WDW twice pregnant, once with each of my boys. I was past the first trimester both times. It was actually easier than I thought.

Although I couldn't go on the big thrill rides, I was able to go on most of the rides.

I agree... take it easy, take your time. I never had problems standing in lines, but I walked my bunz off both times and was use to being on my feet. Just know your limits.

My word of warning??? If you can avoid big group gatherings, I would. Most people aren't thinking about those around them and don't look down to notice a big belly. It is nerve wracking to be in a large, tight crowd and fending for your belly.

Have fun!!!

prprincess
10-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Congrats!! You'll definitely still be able to enjoy alot. I went about 4 years ago when I was 5 months along, and even though my doctor said that I could ride everything (yes, everthing!--but I didn't), I just took it easy and rode what I felt comfortable riding. Also, just remember to take it slow if you're feeling tired, and stay well-hydrated. Enjoy!!

tigger24601
10-22-2007, 12:26 PM
i have to say this. this is the second pregnancy post that i have seen on here today and i want to thank all of you for your input. when dh and i went on our first anniversary i was 5 weeks pregnant but didn't know it yet. i rode EVERYTHING, as you can imagine and our baby girl now loves being thrown around like a sack of potatoes. we joke that disney is the reason for this love.

we are now talking about our 2nd and i was a little nervous about wanting to get good use out of our seasonal passes. you have put my fears at ease and i now know i can still enjoy myself while pregnant at disney.

thank you again.

May524
10-22-2007, 12:51 PM
YAY another pregnancy post! I'm going next month and will be 6 months when we are at the world. I love reading everyone's tips!

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

diz_girl
10-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Congratulations!

You are right about looking for a lot of benches to sit, as my feet were hurting because of the relaxin that is released during pregnancy. You'll be going during a cooler time of year, which is a good idea. Still bring some warm clothes (including coat, hat, scarf and gloves) in case it gets really chilly, because it's bad for the baby if you get too cold. Of course, taking an afternoon break so the kids can nap is a good idea that someone else mentioned. As is drinking plenty of water.

Also, avoid the bathroom in EPCOT between the Canada and UK area (I think that's the one). There may be a line, but the bathroom only has two or three stalls, so the line moves at a snail's pace. Of course, you don't know about the lack of stalls until you are almost next in line. I learned that the hard way my last trip. Go to the bathrooms by The Odyssey. There are tons of stalls and rarely any wait - you'll be there and back before you get a stall in the other bathroom.

There are also some great coffe/dessert kiosks around the World Showcase. Since it will be cooler, treat yourself to some tasty hot chocolate. The kiosk in Italy has some good cannoli.

TexasPrincessAurora
10-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Also, avoid the bathroom in EPCOT between the Canada and UK area (I think that's the one). There may be a line, but the bathroom only has two or three stalls, so the line moves at a snail's pace. Of course, you don't know about the lack of stalls until you are almost next in line. I learned that the hard way my last trip.

The bathroom just as you enter World Showcase going towards Canada is like this. It's next to the McDonald's snack stand. There are literally 2 stalls, but like diz girl stated you can't tell that until you're to the front of the line. I found this out the hard way, 5 minutes before Illuminations started.

Also, there isn't a restroom in the Mexico pavillion at all. You have to walk back to the Odyssey or over to Norway.

taradon
10-31-2007, 01:57 PM
These are all such good tips! I'll be 6 months pregnant on our trip, so I keep an eye out for all these threads - They come up pretty often so there must be a lot of pregnant ladies visiting the parks! :)

A question of my own - what do you ladies think about Kilamanjaro Safaris? I know that Disney lists it as one expectant mothers should avoid, but I have also heard that it is no worse than driving on an unpaved, bumpy road and that pregnant women are fine on it. Any thoughts?

teambricker04
10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
These are all such good tips! I'll be 6 months pregnant on our trip, so I keep an eye out for all these threads - They come up pretty often so there must be a lot of pregnant ladies visiting the parks! :)

A question of my own - what do you ladies think about Kilamanjaro Safaris? I know that Disney lists it as one expectant mothers should avoid, but I have also heard that it is no worse than driving on an unpaved, bumpy road and that pregnant women are fine on it. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't do it, but that's me. I did take my oldest DS when he was 18 mo and wished I hadn't. I didn't realize HOW bumpy it is. It is sort of like off roading in a jeep in really bumpy terrain, but not quite as bad. I have done the Pink Jeep tours in Sedona, and I would say it is about half as bumpy.

TexasPrincessAurora
10-31-2007, 04:33 PM
In regards to Kilamanjaro Safaris...I went to DW during each of my pregnancies. Before each trip I asked my ob/gyn about specific rides that I knew had warnings but I didn't think I would have a problem with. Luckily my ob has been to DW multiple times and knew the attractions really well. She gave me complete clearance to ride the safari. If you have concerns or questions I would discuss it with your ob. I didn't have any problems with it at all however.

CosmicRay
11-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks to all for your advise! I will definatly make sure to avoid the bathrooms near Canada. As for Kilimanjaro (sp?) Safari, I rode that the last time we were there and other than bumps and the rough stopping and starting, I think you'd be fine. DH did NOT like that ride, he said it was too much like riding with my mom. I agree with him! But I think you'd be okay riding it.

DizHawk
11-01-2007, 10:06 PM
DH did NOT like that ride, he said it was too much like riding with my mom.
It IS like riding with your mother. That isn't safe to do whether you are pregnant or not. That woman turned a one hour drive into a 30 minute drive at rush hour.

taradon
11-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks all for the advice re: KS! :)