PDA

View Full Version : First time flying since pre-9/11

LauraSAnne
10-20-2007, 09:54 AM
The last time I flew, was the summer before 9/11. This January my husband's parents are taking us to Disney and we're flying. A lot has changed since the last time I flew and I've been reading on what is and isn't allowed but I still have some questions about certain items that I'm sure you all can answer for me!

--I know each person is allowed ONE carry-on...if I have a small purse, does that count as my carry-on or can I have my purse and a small bag?

--We are taking a miniDV Camcorder, a laptop and a digital camera in our carry-on. What can and can't go through the screening machine? I'm assuming it's just the miniDV tapes. What do I do with the tapes when I reach the check-point? Are credit cards and cell phones okay to go through the screener too?

--Out of those three electronics, what can we use on the plane?

If any of you have any other important information or tips for me, I would appreciate it! I'm terrified of flying so I'd like to know exactly what I'm supposed to do when we go so I'm not more frantic than I'm already going to be. Is a pre-flight drink allowed to calm the nerves? :blush:

10-20-2007, 10:26 AM
A purse and another carry on is fine. We flew to CA just a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe the large carry ons that people had. I guess with all the talk about lost luggage, people don't like to check luggage anymore. We had a mini dv tape camcorder & digital camera that went through the scanner fine. They will tell you on the plane when you are allowed to use electronic devices. Lots of people had laptops. I kept my credit cards in my purse that I put through the scanner and no problem. I put my cell phone in the tray that is available along with car keys and my shoes.
I also don't like to fly but when we are headed to WDW I put all fears aside.

Lacy
10-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Good luck flying, it is certainly worth it to get to WDW!

Yes, you can have a purse plus a carry-on. The technical rule is one carry-on and one personal item (purse, backpack, etc).

I'm not sure about the tapes, but make sure you take your laptop out of your bag and put it in one of those plastic bins. They prefer if the laptop is the only thing in that bin.

Do you know about the craziest new carry-on rule about the liquids. Make sure any liquids that you carry-on are less than 3 oz and all fit in one quart size zip top bag.

Have a great trip!

teambricker04
10-20-2007, 11:21 AM
My biggest tip is to relax, and take it one step at a time. We travel a lot, and mostly we see people who don't travel often or not at all get worked up about security and it makes the whole thing for them a bit much. Take your time, you'll get through.

You should be fine with your electronics. All of it goes through the scanner just fine. There is a poster of what has to come out and into its own bin... the laptop should be the only thing that has to be in a bin. They use to ask you to open laptops, but now they don't because too many were getting damaged. DVD players also need to come out, but you didn't say you were taking one. You can use your electronics on the flight after you hear the ding (Sounds like the SW ding) and then they will tell you. You can take pics on the plane or videos before your flight leaves the terminal.

Remember to take off your shoes, or if you leave them on and beep you will get additional screening.

You are allowed two carry ons. One purse or backpack or laptop bag and another bag, small suitcase or duffle. If the flight is full they may ask people to gate check things, which means they put it in the belly when you are getting on, then depending on the airline you get it before you get off the jet way or at the baggage claim. Make sure that one of your carry ons could be gate checked if need be.

Also they have the new rule of 331. (I think that is what it is called) You can only carry three three ounce liquids and they have to be stored in a 1 qt ziplock baggie and taken out of your bags at security. This includes all shampoos, shower gels, lotion, hand sanitizer, or anything like that.

If you are traveling with small children they generally can bring in their own drinks or milk in bottles or sippy cups. Sometimes if you have small children they will let them bring a bottle of water (to make bottles with), but this last time the TSA guy took ours and we had to make a bottle with cold water which our baby hates.

I have made it through security,:blush: unknowingly, carrying liquids that I did not declare. Last time I had a juice box and didn't know it. I have had purell and didn't realize it and made it through. If you forget and they take something, no worries!

Like I said, just relax and you will be fine. I think it is smart to know the rules before you go! Have fun!!!!

LauraSAnne
10-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Ahh yes, I just read that you MUST remove your shoes. Would it be advised to wear socks?

MNNHFLTX
10-20-2007, 11:25 AM
A lot of airports want you to take any larger electronic items out of your carry-on or purse and place them in the plastic bin at the security check point. That would include your laptop and probably your camcorder and digital camera, unless they're fairly small. I have always just left my cell phone go through in my purse and no one has ever made me take it out. You will also need to take off your shoes and put them in the bin, as well as the bag of liquid toiletries as mentioned earlier. Your digital mini tapes should be fine going through the screening machine in your carry-on. If you are ever in doubt about what to do, just ask the screeners, they are typically very helpful.

You can use your cell and portable electronics while the plane is still sitting at the gate. Once the plane is ready to taxi away from the gate, the captain will give an announcement that all portable electronic devices and cell phones must be turned off and stowed. Once a suitable cruising altitude is reached, you will be told when you are allowed to use your portable electronics again (such as the laptop). Then, as the plane descends for landing, the captain will once again announce when electronic devices have to be turned off.

And yes, a drink to help you relax before a flight is allowed and probably indulged in by a fair amount of passengers. Just don't indulge so much that you are impaired or the airline may not let you on the plane! ;)

teambricker04
10-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Ahh yes, I just read that you MUST remove your shoes. Would it be advised to wear socks?

I have, and I haven't. My DH insists on shoes that tie in case of an emergency, so generally I wear socks. None of the floors have been totally disgusting however.

MNNHFLTX
10-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I know a lot of people where sandals expressly for the ease of going through security, but I always wear shoes with socks. I'm a little compulsive that way, but I just can't stomach the thought of going barefoot where thousands of feet have trod.

LauraSAnne
10-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the helpful information guys! :thumbsup:

Scar
10-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I have always hated to fly. 9/11 did nothing to change my opinion of that. My best advice is that everything you mentioned (and more) will fit nicely in the trunk of your car, all the way to WDW, and nobody will inspect it or ask you to remove your shoes.
My DH insists on shoes that tie in case of an emergency, ...I am curious about this. Is your DH MacGyver, and uses his laces to escape or something? ;)

teambricker04
10-20-2007, 03:02 PM
I am curious about this. Is your DH MacGyver, and uses his laces to escape or something? ;)

HAHAHAH!!! :funny: That's funny... He wishes, but no he's an engineer... I think that may say enough :)

faline
10-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Generally, each airline will allow you one carryone and one personal item - which can be a purse; laptop computer etc. Check your airline's web site for specific rules. Sometimes, I put my purse inside my carryon while allow me exra flexibility.

All the items you mention can go through the security screen without problems. Generally, camcorders must be removed from their bags and placed in the plastic bins. Tapes can go through the security screen without an issue as can digital cameras. I usually leave my cell phone in my purse where my credit cards are as well. Both run through the security system without a problem.

You won't be able to use your cell phone on the plane. Once you reach cruisng altitude, you will be allowed to use your laptop and your camera.

vamaggie
10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=teambricker04;1452322]Also they have the new rule of 331. (I think that is what it is called) You can only carry three three ounce liquids and they have to be stored in a 1 qt ziplock baggie and taken out of your bags at security. This includes all shampoos, shower gels, lotion, hand sanitizer, or anything like that.

I believe it is 311: 3 oz or less, in a 1 qt clear ziploc like bag and 1 per person. You need to make sure that each container is <3oz or it will be taken (you can't have a 6 oz tube half empty). Anything that may be liguid or gel has to be in that bag(or checked in your luggage). Probably a good idea to check the TSA website for more specifics (I had a friend have to throw away about $80 worth of makeup when the rules went into effect!)