PDA

View Full Version : American Gangster

Jared
10-19-2007, 09:09 PM
I caught an advance screening of "American Gangster" this evening and wanted to share my initial thoughts.

Everybody wondered if this film would match last year's "The Departed." It doesn't. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe were both great, but the 2006 best picture is still, in my opinion, a better movie.

Frank Lucas is a fascinating man, and "American Gangster" was the second solid biopic I saw this year. Strangely, I felt a weird sense of patriotism seeing an American man create and control one of the most elaborate and sophisticated organized crime rings in history. One especially poignant scene features a high-ranking officer laughing in the face of the special investigator after learning the kingpin of the New York drug scene was black, not Italian or Russian.

It's a long movie but in a good way. Even after two hours, I was still engaged, and the film definitely starts slower than it ends.

ncscgirl2005
10-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Thank you for the review. I have considering going to see this.

BriarRose0708
10-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the review Jared. How violent is it? Like, Tarantino violent or Godfather violent?

Jared
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the review Jared. How violent is it? Like, Tarantino violent or Godfather violent?
Not even close, especially when compared to recent mobster films like "The Departed" and "Eastern Promises." Actually, "American Gangster" is relatively lame, with considerably more implied violence than actual gore. The opening scene before the title card, while gripping and disturbing, is not an indication of the rest of the movie. I can remember one other instance of brutal, visual violence that elicited a gasp from the audience.

I'm probably going to see it again when it's released in theaters. One disadvantage to seeing a screener is often you're given a reel before final edits. There were visual boom microphones in virtually every indoor scene. Not really a big deal, but a little distracting.

Jeff G
10-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the review. I've been anxiously waiting for this movie to come out on November 2. I love mob/gangster movies and after seeing the trailer a few months back marked it as a must see.

LibertyTreeGal
10-25-2007, 06:04 PM
I love Denzel, what an incredible actor. He has had me spellbound since the whipping scene in Glory, possibly one of the most intense jobs of acting in history. I cannot wait to see this movie and I m glad to hear it isn't too violent, I like implied violence and implied sex. That way it doesn't detract from the storyline. I like a cerebral film and Denzel almost always delivers :thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the review. My DH and I are planning on seeing it this week-end.

BriarRose0708
10-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Not even close, especially when compared to recent mobster films like "The Departed" and "Eastern Promises." Actually, "American Gangster" is relatively lame, with considerably more implied violence than actual gore. The opening scene before the title card, while gripping and disturbing, is not an indication of the rest of the movie. I can remember one other instance of brutal, visual violence that elicited a gasp from the audience.

I'm probably going to see it again when it's released in theaters. One disadvantage to seeing a screener is often you're given a reel before final edits. There were visual boom microphones in virtually every indoor scene. Not really a big deal, but a little distracting.

Excellent. I didn't see Eastern Promises, but if I can get through The Departed, I'll more than likely enjoy this film. Thanks!

Jared
11-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Sincet the film officially opens today, I'm bumping this thread back to the top.

:)

BriarRose0708
11-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Just got back from seeing the late showing with some friends. I think I liked this a little better than The Departed. I hope Denzel is nominated for another Academy Award. And it's good to see Cuba Gooding Jr. working again. Even in this small supporting role he almost steals the scene from Denzel. Russell Crowe is "eh" to me, I am not thrilled by his acting in any of the films I have seen with him, even A Beautiful Mind. I think Ridley Scott did an amazing job making the period believable, the set design was one of my favorite things about this film. There were also many nuances that reminded me of The Godfather, which I appreciated. Good film, not a date movie though!

Disneyatic
11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm having a hard time with this movie.
My husband wants to see it, but I was watching a show about the making of it and that guy is a total monster.
He smuggled heroin into the U.S. in the caskets of dead Vietnam soldiers. It just turned my stomach to see the guy on set "consulting" and the way everyone was being "buddy buddy" with him. He was one of the most infamous drug dealers of the time and everyone was acting like he was some great guy!
I don't know why, but that just gave me a bad taste and it is affecting me wanting to see the movie.

Am I over-reacting??