PDA

View Full Version : Help with moderate

gloriaring
10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Thank you in advance for helping me out! We have stayed at all the value resorts at WDW and have now moved our way into moderates! We stayed at CS in Sept and rebooked for next Sept at CBR. However we have learned the main pool will be closed at the time of our stay. Now the ?? Should we try PO and if so which one? We were very happy at CS but I love trying new places. We have 2 children who love pools and arcades! We will be on the dining plan as well. We opted to upgrade to the deluxe plan. Thank you again for the pros and cons of the different PO as I am very confused!

wendy*darling
10-19-2007, 08:54 PM
As you know, there are 2 Port Orleans resorts- Riverside and French Quarter.

FQ is smaller and more compact, has a smaller pool and no TS restaurant. But all the buildings are close to the bus stop (only one stop at FQ) and to the food court and pool. It is themed like New Orleans with wrought iron balconies, a great dragon water slide at the pool and an arcade.

Riverside is massive and spread out. There are 2 sections here- the Mansions of Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou. There is a very large food court and a TS restaurant. The pool is larger and also has a slide.

These are sister resorts- so you have the privilege of sharing pools, restaurants, etc.
The same bus that stops at FQ also makes stops around Riverside. You also share the boat to Downtown Disney.

We have stayed in Riverside (back when it was Dixie Landings) and we enjoyed it- but there is a lot of walking to do.
We have always wanted to try FQ, but the opportunity has not come about yet.

Ask yourself if you want a spread out, country-like setting or a more compact city-like atmosphere.
Either way- you'll still be at WDW and will have a great time! :thumbsup:

disneymom2000
10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Definately can't imagine September at WDW with two kiddos and no pool. We stayed at the Mansions last visit (Oak Terrace) and loved it. Not only were we close to a quiet pool but the main pool is awesome. We were also extremely close to a bus stop that never seemed crowded. I liked being able to take the boat over to Magic Kingdom in lieu of a bus. And the room was very nice.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-21-2007, 04:19 PM
We would move...the "big" pools and slides are a huge part of our WDW trip.

We've stayed at both POR and POFQ, and loved both, although we have FQ as our favourite, mainly due to the smaller, more compact size and layout. DH also likes the urban theming better than the bayou theme.

POR is great with kids though, not only do they have a main pool (with a "Fishin' Hole"), but a number of smaller, "quiet" pools, so you're never far from a swim. Kids can also have fun in the winding trails, we saw tons of lizards, and it was a cute part of the trip.

FOPQ doesn't have a sit down restaurant, but the food court seems less busy than POR. You can go between them fairly easily, a short walk or boat ride. DD loved the slide at FQ, and in fact, she's the one who really insisted that we go back to FQ for our trip next year.

POR can be large, and depending where your room is, you could be a fair walk from the main building and food court (and the drinks for your refillable mugs). There are bus stops scattered around the resort, so you'll be close to one, although you might not get a seat.

FQ is much smaller, only 1 bus stop, although most of the time you'll have to continue onto POR and pick up there, adding some time to the trip. On the plus side, you always get a seat, and you get dropped off first too!

We love PO, and would always recommend staying there, which side just depends on which atmosphere you think you'd enjoy more.

Good Luck choosing and enjoy your vacation :mickey:

Mollywobbles
10-21-2007, 09:47 PM
I love the French Quarter! It's my favorite out of all of the mods (I've never stayed at CBR, though). It's a great resort because it's not as large and not as spreadout. Most rooms are close to everything. The pool is great. And if you'd like you can even walk (or take the boat) up the Sassagoula River to Riverside to play in their pools. The buses pick up and drop off first so that's a plus. The boat is a great option for going to DtD. This past trip our room was just a few steps away from the boat dock. I couldn't have asked for a better room.

DDuck66
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Just wondering??? Are all the pools at CBR closed for ferurbishment. Each "Island" has its own pool. We very rarely used to Main Pool at CBR. we usually stay at Jamaica and use that pool. There is also laundry facilities at each pool.

WVParkfan
10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
The "main pool" at Caribbean Beach is NOT that special. It is nothing like the main pool at Coronado Springs. I would not base my decision on whether or not to stay at CBR on the main pool. It just isn't that great.

The individual pools in the different sections are all very nice.

I have not stayed at either of the Port Orleans resorts, but they are "high" on our priority list. If you decide to move to POR or POFQ, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

#1donaldfan
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
My votes for POR AB......we have always stayed there, and will always go back there. They have so much to offer and it's such a great place to call "home" for a week or so. The resort is set up for total ease and comfort. Just about anywhere your close to the pools / food and busses......you just can't go wrong with POR.......have fun choosing.:mickey:

Disney Diva 71
10-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I have stayed in both the POR and FQ. We were just at the FQ in May and loved it. The grounds are so beautiful. The food court is great and sometimes you have your own buses.
The resort is a little smaller and more intimate, which we loved. We would definitely stay there again.:mickey:

Donald_Quackers
10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
I had only stayed at Riverside, but I really enjoyed my stay there. Walking across the river for breakfast in the morning was always a treat, and the landscaping was beautiful.

I'm staying at CS next time, so that will be interesting (full report to be given).

McGoofy
10-23-2007, 03:43 AM
In your case, I would definitely change resorts. Especially with kids, the pool can be a big decision in what resort you stay at. In September, it is still very hot at WDW. You will want to use the pool. With that said, I have stayed at all 4 mods at one time or another. I really like FQ a lot. I like how it is smaller than Riverside, so even without a preferred room, you are a short walk to the pool or food court. My DS9 loves the pool at FQ. The Mardi Gras theming is great. The best part is the dragon water slide. Last time we stayed there, my DS and I took the boat to POR and used that pool too. That was fun. To be honest, the CBR pool has been my least favorite. It just doesn't seem to have the WOW factor that the other 3 pools have plus it seems much smaller. Not to mention, both times I stayed there, the water cannons weren't even working. POR and FQ are both great, but FQ tends to be my favorite. (It helps that you can go back and forth between the two and share restaurants and pools!)

GrmGrninGost
10-23-2007, 05:25 PM
IMHO, you could do worse than going to POR! We were there 9 days in Sept. and I loved it! :mickey:

wendy*darling
10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
We stayed at the Mansions last visit (Oak Terrace) and loved it. I liked being able to take the boat over to Magic Kingdom in lieu of a bus.
I just need to clarify that you cannot get the to MK from Port Orleans on a boat. Or from any moderate resort for that matter.
Bus is your only option.

garymacd
10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
If you have stayed at all the value resorts, then Riverside will not be a big shock for you. It is spread out like the value resorts, though not as much as CBR. FQ is much smaller, as everyone has said.

Personally, what I would do is try all the moderates and come back last to FQ. Then you will say to yourself, "Why, oh why, oh why did I waste all that time at all those other resorts? Stupid me, stupid me, stupid me." Well, that's what I said to myself.

In case you couldn't tell, FQ is our favourite moderate resort. It also has beignets. You can only get them at PO resorts. You must try these bad boys!:cloud9:

Also, your only Disney Transport option to the MK is the bus. The boat only goes to the two PO resorts and Downtown Disney. But that's okay since the bus from FQ to MK ONLY travels to the only bus stop in FQ. It is not shared with Riverside. All other parks share buses between FQ and Riverside.