PDA

View Full Version : My ADHD Son

LibertyTreeGal
10-19-2007, 04:28 PM
I shared a bit of this over on the dining forum but I just wanted to share the awesome thing that has happened to our family!

One of our twins has ADHD (he has spina bifida and so his digestive system is impaired and he cannot process the toxins in processed foods well, plus he has hydrocephalus so that furher impairs how these toxins affect his brain). Now, we were told before birth that this would probably happen, as it is just a side effect, as it were of his condition, but it never popped up until this year, first grade. He has been unable to focus on instructions, stay in his seat, or even understand how to do his work, even though he is pretty smart.

So, I spent a week in class and i watched him and I was just shocked at his inability to function so we put him on a special ADHD diet, eliminating sugar, processed foods, fried foods, fruit juice and dairy as well as a few other things. He is allowed to have a cup of coffee in the morning, it evidently focuses the ADHD brain. From what I've seen, it absolutely works! His teacher is so thrilled she lets him have his cup at his desk all morning! :D

Well, within 1 DAY we started noticing a difference and now 7 DAYS later, he is a completely different boy. He is happier, and in control of himself. And as a side benefit, we are all eating better. My house is peaceful once again.

I just feel so blessed, it's a lot of work, but now Andy doesn't even want the sugar because some parent gave him a cookie a couple of days ago and almost immediately (within 30 minutes)he became unmanageable (the next day he said, "Mamma, I was scared, I couldn't think and I couldn't stop being crazy!"). When he asks for a sugar treat and I remind him of that, he remembers and doesn't want the cookie at all!

Tonight is the first big challenge -- Cub Scout campout. They are having smores so I made a fruit salad heavy on the berries and watermelon, his favorite!

mickeysworld
10-19-2007, 04:49 PM
LibertyTreeGal,

That is great news that changing his diet has helped!

Thinking about the camp-out and smores, what do you think about maybe skewering some chunks of pineapple and other fruit: peaches, melon, etc. and letting him "roast" them while the others are roasting their marshmallows? We love grilled fresh fruit at our house! Anyways, happy for you!

LibertyTreeGal
10-19-2007, 05:06 PM
LibertyTreeGal,

That is great news that changing his diet has helped!

Thinking about the camp-out and smores, what do you think about maybe skewering some chunks of pineapple and other fruit: peaches, melon, etc. and letting him "roast" them while the others are roasting their marshmallows? We love grilled fresh fruit at our house! Anyways, happy for you!

What a great idea -- I just put it on my list of things to try next time -- unfortunately I am leaving in 5 minutes, but that is perfect for him because he loves pineapple! I can always use more ideas.....

KylesMom
10-19-2007, 05:14 PM
What a wonderful change for both your DS and your family! :cloud9: I pray that the positive events continue. That Andy himself recognized the effects of the sugar is unbelievable in itself! :mickey:

wdw_bound
10-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I am PM'ing you with a link to some recipes that have worked in our house.

I can especially recommend the homemade granola :mickey:

mickey&missy
10-19-2007, 07:20 PM
What wonderful news!! I glad everything is peaceful again. A good friend of my sisters started the same (most likely) diet for her son with ADHD and a host of other problems last year and has also seen fantastic results!!

Good luck! I hope everything continues to be peaceful!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-19-2007, 08:46 PM
That is great.

My oldest son is ADD. I know all too well what you are talking about in regards to not focusing, etc.

I hope he continues to do great with with the new diet.

I hope he had fun at his Cub Scout campout too. My oldest is a Webelo 2 and my middle guy is in second grade working on his Bobcat badge. We have a nature hike tomorrow with Cub Scouts. My boys really love it.

magicofdisney
10-20-2007, 06:51 AM
That is so exciting. I have a friend whose son has growth issues because he can't process glutton. The entire family changed their eating habits to accommodate him. It's so rewarding to see her family use dietary measures instead of medication, to alleviate his symptoms. I'm not bashing anyone who chooses the medication route, I'm just thrilled to hear when others find alternative solutions. GL with continued success. :)

weswerx
10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Congratulations to you and your son. I am glad the new diet is working so well. :thumbsup:

mttafire
10-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Outstanding!! It seems folks today take the easy way out and run to the Doctor for the "new medication of the year" to treat conditions. Kudos to you and your family and your Doctor(s) for helping your son simply be altering his diet. Im very happy for you and your son!!:mickey::mickey::thumbsup:

January-2007
10-24-2007, 05:41 PM
That is fantastic news. I think you are a really great parent for being pro active about your children's health and I am so happy for you son. Thanks for sharing!

disneydeb
10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for sharing your terrific news!

LibertyTreeGal
11-05-2007, 08:49 PM
An Update on the diet saga --

The principal called me into her office today....

uh oh..... haven't been to the office since we started the diet a month ago... *gulp*

Anyway, it wasn't bad news! She told me that they are about to start meeting with the parents of the at-risk kids (one of which USED to be mine :D ) and she has asked me to write up the diet we are using because "everyone is amazed and talking about how different BOTH of your boys are and we want to be able to present this diet to parents as a an intervention." WOWIE!

Now, you have to know, Matt is one of those smart kids -- everything is easy for him, but he's a boy and so sometimes he would act up in class. Well, last week he got a class award (the first given) for most improved behavior!

And Andy is so changed that we are finally able to evaluate what learning difficulties are behavioral and which are due to the hydrocephalus and chiari malformation.

And so I had a serious talk with her about the school breakfast (sugar cereal, chocolate milk, white biscuits and bread and tortillas) and lunches (I don't even want to go there and describe them), which are EXCEEDINGLY bad from an ADHD standpoint and she agreed, having seen the changes in my boys since I took them off of the school offered meals. She is actually willing to look at solutions (and I never even asked her to)!!! That is a big deal!!

So I am working on that tonight and I am very excited about it :cloud9: Thanks to everyone for your words of support -- this hasn't been easy.

merlinmagic4
11-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I am thoroughly impressed!!! :clappy: That is amazing. I am so happy for you and your boys and to have a school system that is responding like that...........wow!

:party:

Hayden's Dad
11-06-2007, 09:14 AM
That is awesome. It is so nice to find something, anything that helps make your childs life as normal as possible. :D :pixie::pixie:

illini
11-06-2007, 09:25 AM
This is all such ~marvelous~ news. It never ceases to amaze me what wonders a diet can work. I have an acquaintance with a son who has autism, and the change from switching his was astounding.

And good for the school for looking at this. The schools feed junk to our kids, and wonder why they have so many issues. Refined sugars and flours, low quality/fatty protein full of nitrates, canned fruits and veg, blech. I think a change in diets at the schools for all kids would produce very surprising results.

Oops, sorry. Bit of a tangent! Anyway, I'm so so so thrilled for your family. Such a blessing for all of you.

rnin02
11-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Yay! I have a few coworkers who have tried diet modifications for their children, and its worked wonders for them.