PDA

View Full Version : GF Afternoon Tea

teambricker04
10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Have you been? What's it like? Would you recommend it? Is it worth it? Do I need to make ADRs?

My Dad and DH are doing a segway tour, so I needed something relaxing for us girls sans both the big boys and little boys! I was thinking this may be it.

ElenitaB
10-19-2007, 03:37 PM
You can find two "fresh" reviews in this thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=118087). I would totally recommend the Afternoon Tea (even my DS-11 is looking forward to going back one day).

While it wasn't very crowded when we went last Saturday, the Gardenview Room is often home to large groups (like ours) or to baby/wedding showers. It certainly wouldn't hurt to make an ADR rather than get there and be disappointed.

jillluvsdisney
10-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I have been to tea twice and it was wonderful. The atmosphere is lovely and relaxed. Little tea sandwiches and pastires are very good. Everything was fresh. We have an ADR for our upcoming trip in 2 weeks. INTERCOT has a good desciption of it under INFO/DINING.

Natazu
10-19-2007, 06:15 PM
I like tea. It's good - pretty room too.

wendy*darling
10-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I did the Tea for the first time this August- and loved it! I think it's a great thing for the 'girls' to do if the 'boys' are playing elsewhere. But I also think those boys would enjoy it as well. ;)

Lots of yummy food- go hungry! :thumbsup:

Hammer
10-19-2007, 07:16 PM
As Ellen posted, we have a couple of recent reviews from Saturday 10/13. I very much enjoyed the tea. I had the Grand tea, which came with a glass of champagne (paid an extra $3 to have the Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvee). The tea sandwiches were good, as was the onion tart, scone (would have liked more Devonshire cream), and jam tart. For my sweets option, I chose 2 chocolate covered strawberries, which were nice and ripe.

Natazu
10-20-2007, 01:23 AM
I did the Tea for the first time this August- and loved it! I think it's a great thing for the 'girls' to do if the 'boys' are playing elsewhere. But I also think those boys would enjoy it as well. ;)

Lots of yummy food- go hungry! :thumbsup:

Linda, I sure wish you could've been here this year. We missed you.

Flower
10-20-2007, 02:01 AM
We have done the tea 3 or 4 times and always enjoy it - you definitely have to make ADR's.

I usually get the Buckingham which is sandwiches, the onion tart, choice of dessert and of course tea (Garden Bouquet is my fave!).

My 3 yr old has had the Mrs Potts 'tea' (Chocolate milk) and really seemed to enjoy himself.

I highly recommend it - the only downfall is that they almost doubled the cost of loose tea if you wish to purchase the tea to take home.

LibertyTreeGal
10-20-2007, 07:17 AM
I have an ADR for late next month, when I called Disney Dining and asked if I needed one, they said absolutely yes!

I can't wait for my special date with my DH at the GF :)

Jared
10-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Read my review Ellen posted. The tea is incredible and one of Disney's true unheralded gems. Make a reservation, skip lunch and prepare for a wonderful experience.

I can almost taste the trifle now.

:tasty:

teambricker04
10-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the great information! I loved Ellens pics on the other thread. Yum. My mouth is watering just lookiong at them. I can't wait for that scone.

I made our reservation earlier today! I can't wait!!! I know my mom is going to LOVE it.

:mickey: Two weeks and counting!

ElenitaB
10-21-2007, 08:18 PM
I made our reservation earlier today! I can't wait!!! I know my mom is going to LOVE it.

:mickey: Two weeks and counting!
Can I say I'm insanely jealous? Have fun! It's an experience to savor. :cloud9:

P.S. Today I made our ADRs for Tea for our February trip. :D I think it just may become a must-do for every trip.

teambricker04
11-10-2007, 08:41 PM
You all were right! It was GREAT!!! My mom loved it as well. We both had the Grand Tea... I had the Nobo Wholefruit and my mom had the madhatter tea. Yum... it was very hard to pick! The champagne and strawberry went down easily and we both loved every single sandwich and the onion tart. And the Devonshire cream... need I say more???? For the sweets I had the eclair and the swan cream puff and my mom had the trifle. The whole experience was so relaxing that I could just make a trip to do that and be happy.

We got to the GF quite early to look in some of the shops, and low and behold... the big ginger bread house was going up! It was so neat to watch. There were about 20 people with the head chef directing. There were posters of how it goes up and how long it takes. There were samples of the gingerbread. It was sooo neat, but I was sad we didn't get to see the finished project.

teambricker04
11-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Can I say I'm insanely jealous? Have fun! It's an experience to savor. :cloud9:

P.S. Today I made our ADRs for Tea for our February trip. :D I think it just may become a must-do for every trip.

Now I am insanely jealous of you! I have to wait until next May!!! :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
11-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for that review! I will be there in 2 1/2 weeks :cloud9: Just me and DH without the kids!! :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Read my review Ellen posted. The tea is incredible and one of Disney's true unheralded gems. Make a reservation, skip lunch and prepare for a wonderful experience.:tasty:
True--you really can skip a meal if you have tea--highly recommend it! A treat!

TheRustyScupper
11-11-2007, 11:04 AM
1) We do afternoon teas about once-per-month.
2) Usually at Ritz or Gaylord Palms.
3) But,l we do the GF Tea at least once per year.
4) Of course, it is combined with a park day.

5) We like the Tea, because
. . . it is a good respite from hectic parks
. . . it is a pleasant environment
. . . it is calming to look out on the courtyard

NOTE: We highly recommend the GF Afternoon Tea. The only downside side is that they only serve Orange Pekoe or Pekoe tea. I would have liked better quality for the price. But, it is still good.

Hammer
11-11-2007, 05:37 PM
NOTE: We highly recommend the GF Afternoon Tea. The only downside side is that they only serve Orange Pekoe or Pekoe tea. I would have liked better quality for the price. But, it is still good.

Rusty, they serve many other loose teas besides an Orange Pekoe at the GF Afternoon Tea. I had the Garden View, which tasted similar to the Darjeeling blend I usually have at the Ritz or Four Seasons in Philadelphia. My sister had the Russian Earl Grey and another member of our table had a Jasmine White tea.

Here is the list of teas offered:

Custom Blend
Made exclusively for Gardenview Tea Room.

Gardenview Blend
A signature blend slightly sweetened with jasmine and citrus bergamot. Rich In character with expansive body.

White & Green Teas
The most delicate of teas: White teas are highly prized because of its consistency of top buds and leaves only. Named after the silver down hairs that cover the young unopened bud.

Jade Leaf Green Tea
Hand picked then withered and gently
dried for delicacy and a hint of sweetness. Naturally low in caffeine.

Floral Jasmine Green
Delicately perfumed with golden jasmine blossoms with fresh mellow overtones and a slightly astringent finish. Sweet, slightly tannic finish.

Jasmine White
Scented multiple time with fresh jasmine blossoms for a delicate aroma of golden Jasmine and outstanding liquor. Naturally very low in caffeine.

Black Teas
Fully fermented, gaining color and character
from the processing of the leaves.

Osmanthus Oolong
Top grade oolong tea from Formosa delicately scented with rare Osmanthus flowers for a broad and unique flavor. Highly coveted and prized for its champagne aroma and deep rich flavor

Imperial English Breakfast
Elegant and refined smooth sweetness.
A blend of Keemun with a hint of Ceylum for sweetness

Russian Earl Grey
Inspired by the old tradition of shipping tea with lemon for flavor: Made from the rind of spicy Bergamot orange to give the exotic blend of citrus

Darjeeling
A thin-bodied, light-colored liquor with a floral aroma a tinge of astringent tannic characteristics, and a musky spiciness often referred to by tea connoisseurs as muscatel, a grape varietal found in sweeter wines

Eros
Medium bodied Ceylon: Sweet mandarin Orange with warm vanilla for a sweet, smooth and creamy finish.

Cassis
A rich black currant flavor for an exceptionally aromatic and sweet finish.

Mad Hatter
A blend of passion fruit, pomegranate, and vanilla for a clean, and sweet finish. Perfect with decadent desserts and companions.

Herbal Infusions
A collection of herbs, flowers, fruits, berries, or spices from around the world. Herbal Infusions are naturally caffeine free.

Chamomile Flowers
A tranquil and calming herbal infusion of sweet and fragrant golden chamomile blossoms combined for a mild and sweet taste. Soft and musty aroma combined with a smooth, apple-like finish.

Harmony
A tranquil blend of sweet chamomile blossoms,
peppermint, allspice and orange blossoms for
a mild and sweet taste.

Lemon Verbena
Naturally caffeine-free, an infusion of Lemon Verbena, Lemongrass, and Lemon balm.
Light and refreshing; a favorite during the summertime

Jamaican Spice
A zesty herbal infusion with red liquor and a bouquet of flavors, tartness of hibiscus and sweetness of cinnamon for a sweet, tangy, and spicy finish

Nobo Whole Fruit
Full bodied and rich sweetness.
A blend of wild strawberries, blackberries,

Vanilla Rooibos
Rich and full-bodied with a creamy vanilla finish

TheRustyScupper
11-12-2007, 11:55 AM
. . . Rusty, they serve many other loose teas besides an Orange Pekoe at the GF Afternoon Tea. I had the Garden View, which tasted similar to the Darjeeling blend I usually have at the Ritz or Four Seasons in Philadelphia. My sister had the Russian Earl Grey and another member of our table had a Jasmine White tea . . .

1) Not a valid statement.
2) Pekoe and Orange Pekoe are not flavors.
3) They are grades of tea leaves.
4) They are some of the lowest grades available.
5) The terms relate to the size and cut of the tea.
6) Example:
. . . lowest grade: dust
. . . best grade: Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe

NOTE: Many people buy Orange Pekoe and think it is a flavor. It is not. "Pekoe" actually is translated from the tea defining term "silver haired". If you brewed a truly great loose tea, you would be left with what looks like a very large and very thick brier patch in about 2/3 of the tea pot. Anything other than this shows a lower quality of tea leaves. I spend a lot of time in Europe and Asia on business, and have gotten to appreciate finer teas.