PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Too many options!

madone
10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
We are thinking of taking a trip to Disney at the end of January since we have to go to FL for a family gathering that just so happens to coincide with a few days off from school. But once I start to look at things I'm just confused. We have four kids (9, 6, 4, 2) and two adults who would be going and I can't decide if the value resorts or a monorail resort would be best for us. Last time we were there it was April 05 and spring break made for some unpleasant bus rides and we swore the next time we can we would stay at a monorail resort. But the more I look at it we would get more room and an extra bathroom at a value resort and we could always drive in if the buses were bad. And then there is the dining plan--my kids are still young and are not big eaters and if my math is right it would be around $110 a day for the dining plan for all of us and I know last time we were there we didn't spend anywhere near that amount for food. We brought in snacks and water and ate only at CS places so we really did well (around $400 for the week). Anyone want to help? I could really use some advice and suggestions. We want to take advantage of this opportunity(especially since the youngest will be free but still old enough to enjoy it) but we don't want to break the bank!
Thanks!
Melissa

TBY2225
10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

Ok, first thing I would suggest is to contact Magical Journeys. They are on the side bar under ICOT sponsors. If you get Nanci, tell her Tara sent you! MJ is the best travel agency I have ever dealt with. Tell them exactlly what you have posted here and let them take care of the rest!
IMSHO- if you stayed value, you would have to have 2 rooms because they only sleep 4. The 2 year old could sleep in a Pack-n-play, but it would still be 1 to many. I do know that the have some All-Star suites at one of the values, but I don't know much about it. I have only stayed at the Pop and personally we like it. We aren't in the room much anyway, and the buses have been so great for transportation to and from the parks that we have just stuck with that.
The dining plan is great. Thankfully I have gotten it both times in September for free, but my family and I have decided that we would also pay OOP for it. I have DD5 and DS2. IF your family prefers to eat just CS and bring snacks and things then that it cool too. I recommend the DDP for those who like to eat out, try new resturants that maybe they couldn't afford otherwise, and not to have to worry about food while you are there.
Hope this helps!

madone
10-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I looked at the family suite but it looked that that cost more than getting two rooms and most of the beds were fold outs(sofa, chair). Do they have adjoining rooms at the value? Because if not than that gives me my answer right there. I also didn't realize that the values didn't have fridges. Could we stay at Port Orleans? That's where we stayed last time--at the time it was the only moderate that let you have 5 in a room. We are still just 5 since the youngest doesn't count right?
I'm thinking the dining plan isn't for us. Not sure if any of you have tried eating in a restaurant with a 9, 6, 4, and 2 year old but it's really hit or miss. Sometimes great and sometimes not and there's no real way to know which way it will go!:)

Melissa

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Do they have adjoining rooms at the value?Yes, they do. As with any of the resorts, they can't guarantee that you end up with them, but more times than not they're able to come through for you.

I believe you can rent a fridge at the Values for about $10 a day.

Yes, the moderates sleep 5.

emerzmom
10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
This is just a thought but have you thought about renting a vacation home? If you already going to have a car with you then you could drive to the parks without dealing with long crowded buses. You would also have a lot more room but everyone still under one roof. With a full kitchen you could prepare some of your meals at the house rather than the expense of eating all of your meals at the parks or resorts. There are some great deals out there if you look and it might be less expensive than 2 rooms at a value resort.
Just a thought...

irish1967
10-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Commenting on the dining plan.

With the dining plan, unless you really want to eat at the TS restaurants, I don't think it is worth your while.

What about a cabin at Fort Wilderness? It would give you plenty of space for 6, provide a kitchen and is at least a boat ride to the MK.

Not an expert, please feel free to correct if I am entirely off base on the cabin comments.

teambricker04
10-18-2007, 10:02 PM
We have stayed in a family suite at the value resort and LOVED it. We did have a car and didn't have to take the bus, so that was a bit better. We did not pay as much for the suite as we would have with two adjoining rooms.

The benefits??? Two bathrooms, a kitchenette, a seperate bedroom, and two tvs. Plus, it is a suite sized room with out the typical Disney suite price. There are no additional luxuries that are any different than any of the regular rooms.

I don't know about you, but our 2 yo will not sleep in a packn play. If your youngest three could share a bed, the oldest could have the chair pull out. I would think there would be enough room.

We don't do the dining either. Little tummies don't eat much nor do they sit still enough to make it worth our while either.

Oooh. I just read the above post and I must add... we are staying at FW in a couple of weeks in a cabin. We are going with our two kids and my parents. It should be interesting... I can let you know how it is when we get back!

wendy*darling
10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Do they have adjoining rooms at the value?
Yes, they do- but you want to ask for "connecting rooms."
Adjoining only means they are next door. Connecting means they have the inside door you can open between the 2 rooms.

Could we stay at Port Orleans? That's where we stayed last time--at the time it was the only moderate that let you have 5 in a room.
Yes, Port Orleans-Riverside has some rooms with the trundle bed feature allowing 5 people in the room.

If you want a fridge in the Value resorts- they are available for an additional charge- I believe it is currently about $11/day.
That extra charge may be less than the difference between a Value and a Moderate room- so consider that in your decision making.

While I am a fan of the Disney Dining Plan, I do agree that the Dining Plan may not be your best option for your family.

You are right- there are so many choices and decisions to make planning a WDW vacation.
Hope this helps with a few of them. :mickey:

DadTriton
10-18-2007, 10:49 PM
End of Jan you will get offsite suites for a song. Look in Lake Buena Vista.
A car is extra, but if you have little kids a meal plan is a waste as the hotel usually have kids eat free and you can pickup some basic picnic food for lunches with a car at the grocery.