PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a 30-something Disney Geek – a trip report part 1.

youngOx96
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
My transformation into a Disney Geek started in February of 2006. My lovely wife thought it would be fun to take a trip to WDW with our then 4 year old daughter. Our son was not quite a year old so he would be spending some quality time with Grandma. We booked our trip through a local travel agent – at that time we had not yet learned the ways of Magical Journeys. A few months after we booked, we happened to see a TV commercial that mentioned the Free Dining promotion. My wife and I thought that we should check into the Free Dining to see if we qualified. Luckily, our local travel agent was able to re-book our vacation so we could take advantage of the great offer – I mention this only because this was a pivotal point in my becoming a Disney fan. Once we had the trip re-booked, my wife went in to her planning mode. She had to book ADRs and plan out our days. She learned about Intercot and some other sites – the rest is history. We had a great time on our trip in 2006 and we absolutely LOVED the Free Dining. As a result, we made the decision to return in Sept. 2007 so we could bring our son for the fun.

I will spare you the drama that my wife and I experienced when we attempted to book our 2007 vacation through our local travel agent. Thank goodness that Magical Journeys was able to save the day and get us the vacation we were hoping for.

So here we go with the 2007 Summary. Our cast this year consisted of: me, my lovely wife (DW), my daughter of five (DD), and my son of almost two (DS). Our trip started 09/22/07 and ended 09/30/07.

Day 1
We had about a ten hour drive, including stops, from the Upstate of South Carolina. Our check-in to the Pop Century was very smooth. Although we were not able to get a preferred room, our room location was still very good. We were right behind the big Mickey phone in the 70’s – room 6249.

After unloading the car, I took the kids for a swim so DW could unpack and get the room in order. After our swim we headed over to DTD for dinner at Wolfgang’s Café. Our dinner was good, but a little hectic since the kids had been cooped up in the car all day. You can see my wife’s review of Wofgang’s here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117628). After our dinner, we met up with some friends at the World of Disney. The crowds were relentless that night so we didn’t stay very long. After leaving DTD we headed back to the Pop and called it a night.

Day 2
DS likes to get up with the chickens, so the rest of us were up with him at about 6am. After breakfast we were on our way to Epcot via Disney transportation. The Disney bus system is a great benefit of staying on Disney property. The lines are sometimes long, but the busses are very efficient at moving people to the different locations throughout the World.

Once at Epcot, we hit Soarin’. DW and DD rode first while DS and I waited near the Fast Pass ticketing area. I was hoping to see a little of the newly designed interactive queue, but since you bypass that when entering through the Fast Pass queue, I missed it. DW said that she didn’t get to see it either because she only stopped to wait for the pre-show before boarding. I’d much rather have no wait than having to see the interactive queue anyway, so no worries. Next up was Living with the Land – always a family favorite. After we were done with the Land, we headed over to ride Test Track and Mission Space. I have a hard time deciding which ride I like better, but I think I’m leaning toward Test Track. I wonder if GM would entertain a new name for this attraction. I’m thinking something like Full Tilt Boogey – it’s just an idea. Anyway, after Mission Space, we got lunch at the Electric Umbrella (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117420). After lunch we paid Nemo a visit and then Turtle Talk with Crush. After the Seas we made a very quick stop by Innoventions West. We didn’t find much there that would hold the attention of the kids so we headed to Club Cool. I really enjoyed everything. Yes, I said everything. The Beverly wasn’t bad – I wouldn’t want to drink it everyday, but it was definitely a change of pace. My favorite was either the Ginger Ale or the drink from Israel – sorry I don’t remember its name.

Once we were done with Club Cool, we went back to the Pop for naps and a quick swim before dinner. Le Cellier was great – a little cramped, but great nonetheless. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117629) After leaving Canada, it started raining so we stopped by MouseGear to seek shelter and do a little shopping. Once the rain let up to a sprinkle, we went back to the Pop and let the kid play at Goofy’s Beach. After the kids had exhausted themselves, we went back to the room for bed.

Day 3
Rooster Boy (DS) woke us up at 6:30am. We ate and got ready to head out for the Magic Kingdom. Once past the throng of people entering the park, we headed to Fantasyland. DD and DW got in line for Ariel at the Grotto. This was a little surprise because we weren’t expecting it to be open until 10am. Meanwhile, DS and I waited in the Dumbo queue. Once we were all done with Dumbo and Ariel, we all went to Peter Pan, and Small World. After Small World, we headed over to Pooh and the Tea Cups. After the Tea Cups we went over to Tomorrowland for and hit Space Mountain. Space Mountain is one of my favorite rides. For some reason the ride seemed a lot faster this year, I’m not sure what it was, but I could really tell a difference. After riding Space Mountain, we decided it was time for lunch at Cosmic Rays. DW had the forethought to run over to Buzz and get Fast Passes for after lunch. Cosmic Rays wasn’t too crowded yet so we didn’t have long to wait for lunch. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117421) After lunch we went to ride Buzz. I was thankful that my DW had gotten those fast passes, the line wasn’t terribly long, but I was glad I didn’t have to wait in it. Buzz is another of my favorite rides. I especially liked being able to ride with my DS – that will be a special memory for me I’m sure.

After Buzz we walked over to the Carousel of Progress and walked right in. Unfortunately, we got stuck in the Christmas scene and had to watch it twice. The CMs kept coming over the loud speaker telling everyone to remain seated. After CoP, we rode the TTA – last year we got to see Space Mountain with the lights on, no such luck this year. After the TTA, we decided to ride the newly refurbished Haunted Mansion before calling it a day. Fortunately, DS fell asleep so we were able to take him on the ride with us. I was worried that the ride might be too intense for him had he been awake. After we exited the Stretching room, we entered the queue to board the Doom Buggies. To our surprise, the ride was at a standstill. We waited about fifteen minutes for the ride to come back on line.

After we left HM we decided to head for the Pop. On our way out of the park we stopped to see Rafikki and Timon. We also opted to stop for a Dole Whip float. Mmm…Dole Whip!!!

After a quick nap and swim at the Pop, we headed over to the Poly for our dinner at the Kona Café. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117630) After dinner, we went back to DTD for a little shopping before calling it a night.

Day 4
We were able to sleep until 7:30am this morning. We arrived at Epcot at around 9:00am. We headed straight over to Test Track for fast passes and then went back to Innoventions East. I highly recommend the Fantastic Plastics here in Innoventions East – this is basically a FREE plastic robot that you get to put together yourself – souvenirs anyone? Robots in hand, we went to ride Figment. We hoped to see him but he was not in his little area.  It was time to use our Fast Passes for Test Track, so we headed back over that direction.

Once done with Test Track, it was time to start our journey around World Showcase. As many times as I’ve done World Showcase before, I always forget how expansive that part of Epcot really is. It never fails to wear us out. We started our trek in Canada and made our way around to the Tangierine Café for lunch. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117422) We didn’t spend a lot of time looking through the countries because the kids were easily bored with all of that. I think it was at this point that my wife and I decided to come back by ourselves – January 2008! We stopped in Norway to ride the Maelstrom. By this time, it was getting HOT so DW and I stopped for Margaritas on the way to Mexico – stout margaritas at that. After riding El Rio, we completed our tour of World Showcase and staggered our way to the bus stop – back to the Pop for naps.

After naps, we went back to Epcot for dinner at Rose & Crown. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117639) This is one of my favorite places. Maybe it was the Black and Tan, maybe it was the excellent Bangers and Mash, or maybe it was the magical experience of seeing the wonder in my daughter’s eyes when she got to start Illuminations, whatever it was I will always remember Rose & Crown.
Once Illuminations was over, we participated in the Wheel Chair and Stroller races to the bus stop. I again have to commend the Disney Transportation system. The line for the Pop Century was by far the most crowded, but there were two buses to the Pop being filled at all times. Once back at the Pop we hit the hay.

Days 5 through 9 will be posted in part 2.

KylesMom
10-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Nice report! I've been enjoying your wife's reports. Glad you could join in on the fun!

The night that DD got to start Illuminations sounds absolutely magical - both for her parents and for her! :mickey: Thanks for sharing with us!

TBY2225
10-18-2007, 04:50 PM
:welcome: to Intercot DH!

Great Report!

It is about time you joined us here! I am so proud that you have become a Disney Geek. Just don't show me up on these boards. I like it here, and besides, I think there is room for the both of us!

Bethis26fan
10-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a great few days. I'll be making that 8 - 10 hour trip myself in 5 weeks. Glad to find more Carolina disney fans.

McGoofy
10-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm using my 600th post to tell you that your wife is awesome!! :mickey: I'm glad that she dragged you here---except now that we can't talk about you anymore. (I'm just kidding!) Great trip report! I still can't believe that you are going to get away with going to WDW without the kiddos to a P&P party in January!!

MauiMouse
10-20-2007, 09:41 PM
:welcome: to the Boards!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. I enjoyed reading your DW's dining reviews. Off to read part II.

pdrlkr
10-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

faline
10-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Great fun! Glad you were converted into a Disney fan!

What a special moment it must have been for your daughter to "start" Illuminations!

ChipnDaleGal
10-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Oh yes, the Disney Bug has bitten you hard! It is a wonderfully fun disease to have to live with! Sounds like your family is having a great time with a lot of wonderful meals in there. Thanks for sharing! :mickey: