PDA

View Full Version : Brad's Intercot Excursion Trip Report - Preface & Day 1

brad192
10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Hello out there to all in Intercot land! Well, I’m back in the real world once more, sitting in my pathetic little cube at work trying to adjust to the fact that I actually have to earn a living once more, after a phenomenal trip! Ahh yes, the trip…

7 glorious days in the warm Florida sun, meeting a whole lot of wonderful, fun people who “get it” just like me, riding rides, seeing shows, eating enormous amounts of food, and having a GREAT time. I said to myself before I left on this trip “Self, you really, really need this trip”, and boy was I right! As I sit here writing this, I feel quite, for lack of a better term, content. 3 years is way too long to go without a vacation, let alone a vacation to WDW. I’ll never make that mistake again!:nono:

:thumbsup:A big, BIG thank you to John & everyone for putting the meet together so well! I had a great time with all you folks, and certainly will try to make any future meets that come along. Another big thank you to the sponsors for their contributions in making things even more magical than I could have hoped for. Anyway, on with the show….

Day 1 – Tuesday 10/9 - Travel & Arrival at Pop Century

Arose at 8AM after a fitful night’s sleep (too excited), got ready quickly & ran thru my packing checklist once more to make sure I had everything. Closed up the suitcase & took a picture of it just in case DME had a hiccup with my luggage. I still had about 30 mins before I needed to leave for the airport, so I slammed a couple cups of coffee down & played with the cats, as they wouldn’t see me for over a week. Finally, time to go!

Got to DTW about 11AM, checked in for my flight & went thru security with no problem. Since I hadn’t had anything solid to eat yet, decided to grab a bite on the way to my gate. Stopped at a McD’s & got a Big Mac & small drink - $5.38! That’s just plain crazy. Tasted good though. We boarded right on time, and backed away from the gate precisely at 1:34PM, our scheduled departure time. The flight down was uneventful, except for a little boy across the aisle from me who simply was having a bad day & could not be consoled. :fit: He finally nodded off about 45 mins before landing, to the delight of his mom, grandmother, and everyone around him. Landed at 4:15PM & found my way to the DME desk, and was on the bus in about 3 minutes. Of course, then we had to wait 30 minutes before leaving for the resorts, but I had a great conversation with DME driver Bill while waiting. He was a nice, friendly guy formerly from Minnesota who was quite interested in Intercot & the meet we had planned.

The drive took about 30 minutes, and Pop was the first stop – Yay! Practically leapt off the bus ( I’m finally here!) & got in line to check in. It took about 30 minutes to heck in, as there were about 10 people ahead of me, but once I got to the counter Angelita was quite efficient, helpful, and friendly. Scored a near perfect room in the ‘50’s section, 3434, top floor, away from the pools, with a view of the lake & the Epcot geosphere (and fireworks). Only a 3 or 4 minute walk to the food court too! Got to the room & found a little towel dog waiting for me in the window. :dog: He would be the only one I received all week, but he would find his way to different spots in the room all week long. He ended up stowing away in my suitcase & coming home with me. Probably because I named him Ralph. He looks like a Ralph. Anyway, I settled into the room, headed down to the food court for dinner – steak & cheese wrap, fries, chili, and an iced tea – all OK but unremarkable. Grabbed my refillable mug on the way out & briefly reconned the gift shop for future purchases during the week, then headed back to the room for a little resort TV & an early (for me) bedtime of 10PM, as I knew Wednesday would be a long one. Tomorrow is MK in the morning, to honor tradition, Epcot in the afternoon, then Kona for dinner & back to MK for after dark magic! Day 2 coming soon!

bleukarma
10-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Sounds like an exciting, yet uneventful day one. Can't wait to read the rest!

KylesMom
10-18-2007, 03:00 PM
So in addition to all of the wonderful people you met at the meet, you brought a friend home with you too, huh? :thumbsup: What do the cats think of Ralph?!:)

Great first day to "ease" yourself into this vacation mode, of which you haven't been in WAY too long, Brad. Looking forward to your next report - everyone has said alot of nice things about you! :mickey:

disneydrmr
10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
How does Ralph like his new home? :D Sounds like you are off to a good start! Thanks for sharing!

BriarRose0708
10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi Brad!!! :tiphat: Glad to see you made it home. Sounds like a great start to your trip, I'm looking forward to reading more and re-living the magic of the INTERCOT meets. I really enjoyed chatting with you before the Nemo Show and I hope we can meet again some day!

Nikki :mickey:

hoop de do
10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Great report Brad. Keep em' comin'. I enjoyed talking with you. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
10-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for sharing. Hope your kittys like ralph. :)

TikiGoddess
10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Glad to hear you had a great vacation and that you made it home safely. Looking forward to reading more!

Kathy

faline
10-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Three years since your last Disney trip?! That certainly is far too long! Glad you've arrived and settled in and are ready for the fun to begin!

princessgirls
10-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the nice report Brad.

Three years and no vacation... that makes for one very cranky person. I'm glad you treated yourself to a nice WDW vacation.

Looking forward to reading more about your adventure.

Julie:mickey:

ElenitaB
10-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Brad, three years is far too long to go without vacation. (To quote Rhonda, :nono:) Glad you broke the drought and made it down to WDW with us!

Looking forward to reading about your next day.

dolphinmickey9170
10-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a great start. Hope Ralph and the kitties get along okay.

I see your sig. says maybe May '08, we'll be having another little mini meet with myself and a couple others (DWHubby and DisneyWhirled) and hopefully more. Maybe we can catch up with you there.

Can't wait to keep reading, this sounds like an awesome trip.

AbeeNormal
10-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Good to hear you had a safe flight in and met a nice CM on the bus and at the resort you're on a roll. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear more. I too hope the kitties like Ralph and better yet I hope Ralph likes them :)

ChipnDaleGal
10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Brad we got one of those little towel doggies in our room at the POP last week too, and a spider and a mouse too. I am glad that Ralph has a happy home. Looks like you are off to a good start. Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

pdrlkr
10-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

DizNee143
11-15-2007, 12:05 PM
im a little late in starting to read your trip report but..better late than never...sounds like a nice first day!! cant wait to read about the rest of the trip!! :mickey:

Here we go again...
11-26-2007, 03:25 AM
I am finally getting around to reading your reports!
Sounds like a good start, adopting a dog and all. off to day 2