PDA

View Full Version : POFQ first time

austalysgram
10-17-2007, 08:49 PM
We will be staying at POFQ for our first time Nov4-9. Our first time at a moderate. Looking forward to the stay as we have not been to WDW for 2 years. Going with adult daughter and best friend. Any suggestions re the resort, food court or anything else to do with POFQ. I read something about a horse and buggy and boats that can be rented on the river? Any info will be appreciated...........

garymacd
10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Definitely try the beignets!

You can rent bicycles and surrey bikes for up to four people down on the walkway near the pool.

I have heard, but never seen, that you can play croquet on one of the park greens. This is not just a backyard game but a huge field. Sounds like fun, but I have never seen it being played.

Carriage rides, I believe, can be arranged at the Riverside Resort boat house area. They take you around the two resorts. This is where you can rent small boats to go for a ride around the Sassagoula River. And, if you are interested, you can rent a cane pole and fish at the old fishin' hole at Riverside. I also understand that right now they are offering campfires with songs, stories and, of course, S'Mores in the same area.

Last time we were there, they were offering hair braids just outside the main building near Jackson Square store.

There is no sit down, table service restaurant at FQ, but a short walk will take you to Boatwrights at Riverside. Sassagoula Floatworks has a pretty good selection of food for a quick grab and go or even a quick sitdown meal. Sit outside on the patio while you eat and you can listen jazz music over the speakers. Cool, man. Real cool.

FQ has a small bar called Scat Cats Club with live jazz music playing on select nights.

Definitely check out the pool area. Even if they feel too old or cool to go for a swim, there is a very nice pool bar for refreshments while relaxing at the pool. My girls told me the lifeguards were hot the last time they were there. I didn't notice...they were all guys.:(

You can also have a relaxing soak in the hot tub just off the walkway between the pool and main building. A very nice way to end the day.

You can also take a boat ride to Downtown Disney for shopping and dining.

French Quarter has a lot to offer every age group. My beloved wife and I have loved it since the first time we took our girls when they were small. We love it even more now that we can go by ourselves.

brewcrew26
10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I've had the chance to stay at FQ twice and POR twice. I'd have to say they're both great, but FQ is definitely my favorite.

The atmosphere is very much like a clean New Orleans. There's cute little alligators dressed in Mardi Gras attire scattered around the grounds. Then, in the Sassagoula Food Court there are these gigantic masks hovering over you (I have this inordinate fear that they'll fall -- but, I have been reassured they're very secure).

I'm a huge foodie so I tend to expound a lot on that. I absolutely love the beignets from the food court! They're excellent. A lot of powder sugar and fluff, but a real treat that I can only have in a few places (Port Orleans, New Orleans, or from my former roommates mommie). They also have a fairly good pizza delivery service. I was sick on one trip and couldn't handle pizza, so they were nice enough to find me some complimentary fruit and pints of fro-yo.

You can rent bikes and paddle boats on the river. The paddle boating is a lot of work, though. Or, if you like walking there's a nice path to Riverside.

There's a nice boat you can take to the Downtown Disney area. It takes a bit because you make stops along the way, but its quiant and you can see some of the tree top villas, the alligators on the banks of the river, and some other nice views along the way.

The pool is very fun, too. It's got this serpent-theme. You slide down the tongue. It can get busy and loud with kids. If I remember there isn't a smaller quiet pool at FQ to avoid the little ones if you want some quiet time between park visits in the day.

Enjoy your trip!! :mickey: