PDA

View Full Version : DDP or not?

deebee29
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
We are hoping to go to Disney in May 2008, it's not set in stone or anything, we're just in the thinking stages right now.
We have only been to Disney once, for one day in the MK.
So I'm wondering if we should go for the DDP or not? Looking for some pros and cons, and if it is worth the money. I will be celebrating my 20th birthday there as well.
Should we go for the DDP or the deluxe DDP? And what would be some of the best places to go to, and which ones are worth skipping? What would be a really nice restaurant for my bday?
Keep in mind, that were not excperience with disney world, so it may be confusing for us to get around... lol

deebee29
10-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Also wondering how early reservations need to be made.

laprana
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
With the changes to the 2008 DDP from the 2007 DDP, I think it getting it or not depends on whether the plan is still a good value for you. It takes some figuring and number crunching, but if you figure out what you'd spend normally and compare that to the price of the DDP, you can decide if it's a good value or not. We were really disappointed with the 2008 changes - no appetizer and no tip included - but when we sat down and did some figuring, we found out that the DDP will still save us some $$, just not as much as before. So, we are going to get the plan again in '08. It is really nice to have your meals and snacks pre-paid! One less thing to worry about - you just have to hand them your Key to the World and you're done!

As far as ADR's, I think the earlier you make them the better, just to make sure you get to eat everywhere you want. For some places, like CRT or Le Cellier, you almost have to make your ADRs right at the 180-day mark or you won't get them! Others, like 'Ohana and Coral Reef book up really quickly. Have fun planning!:mickey:

PlutoLover
10-17-2007, 03:07 PM
For your bday I recommend Hoop-De-Doo Revue, it's a really fun show and this you can get ADRs 180 days in advance (I think, someone will come along and help on that).

I've always done some sort of DDP but I'm not sure how I feel about the new version. I liked paying up front and not having to worry about $ but now there is no tip included. I think the deluxe plan has a lot of food so if you are not huge eaters I would probably skip this. I still think I would get the lower version of the DDP just for convenience and if you go to the more expensive meals then it is worth the money.

I think a character meal is a lot of fun and there are a ton of them around the parks and hotels. I recently went to Crystal Palace (in MK w/ Pooh & friends) and thought it was very good. I've heard/read Le Cellier in Epcot is excellent. I loved Coral Reef in Epcot. Boma at AKL I thought was fabulous. Anything on the Boadrwalk is great because it has a great fun atmosphere. If it was me I'd do a little research and make ADRs around so you can see different resorts/parks.

Hope this helps and have fun planning!!

BugeyedMuggy
10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I agree with the Hoop-de-doo for your b-day dinner lots of fun. If you plan to eat at a restaurant every nite the DDP is worth the money. If you just want a couple of dinners with rest food court/counter service it won't be worth it. The regular plan in May is plenty of food as when it's that hot I never feel like eating that much food. If you go with the plan make sure to book your ADR's 180 days in advance as the good rest. fill up really quick. I recommend LeCellier & Le Chefs de France but research the menues b-4 you call.

deebee29
10-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Looks like plans are going to have to be put in place quite early! Thanks for the advice!
So what exactly is hoop de doo, and where is it?

PlutoLover
10-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Hoop De Doo is a Dinner Show check it out here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dinnershows.asp#Hoop)

LibertyTreeGal
10-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Hoop Dee Doo is an excellent choice, I agree. You can see some videos of it on you tube, but they aren't even half as good as just being there in person. It's just part of the disney magic, I guess.

And yes, you can book Hoop Dee Doo 180 days out. I did mine 180 days from when my vacation started, and at first she didn't have any tier 1 (near the stage) openings and told me to call back 180 days from the actual day we wanted to go because more seating opens up on that day. So we did end up getting our teir 1 reservation. :)

Deesdisney
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
With all the changes to the ddp I sat down to see if this would actually work for us. I sat down figured out the most expensive meals at the rest. we have booked and all the counter service rest. I came out about the same price as the ddp. The only thing is that the dessert would be free. However everyone I am taking does not eat alot and would probably not eat the most expensive meal. And when we did the ddp last time there was to much food for any of us to eat. We tried to share but everyone wanted different meals. So needless to say I do not think I will be doing the ddp unless it is free or is discounted.