PDA

View Full Version : Super Secret Disney Experiences?

Tom Servo
10-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi, all. Quick introduction: graduate student, DVC member, Disney fanatic since I could drool on a stuffed Donald Duck (sometime before graduate school).

Okay, so this is a kinda strange request, I guess, but that's what I do. As I've said, big time Disney kookoobird, and hence, have done pretty much everything Mouse several times over. As such, I've been adding to the repertoire in recent years: golf (no secret, but surprisingly underhyped), various walkways and footpaths, resort hopping, etc. Though every year I have a blast and find something new and fun to do, I always return wishing to do more.

Hopefully, with what must be several squintillion hours of combined Disney experience on this board, some new funzies might be headed my way. My next trip is early January, between semesters, so if nothing else, additional tips for enhanced R&R would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance, y'all!

mulderxcoltrane
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

Have you done any of the tours? We took the Keys to the Kingdom tour a few years ago and enjoyed it so much! We have also been wanting to try the Segway tour at Epcot- heard great things about it!
Good luck!

Tick-Tock
10-17-2007, 02:56 PM
There's a new Segway tour/experience at Fort Wilderness.

poeticeclipse
10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
I would look into dining with an imagineer!:mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
10-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Take a liesurely ride around Bay Lake on a pontoon boat. We love to go out for an hour or so - grabbing a snack and drink to take with us. Then we time it so we get by the Wilderness Lodge to see the geyser. An hour gives us plenty of time to go from one end to the other, seeing Fort Wilderness to the Poly. It's a very different perspective on some of your favorite sites! Have a great trip.

offwego
10-18-2007, 12:56 PM
In addition to the tours what about a self designed scavenger hunt or trivia thing if your going with a group?

Or a goal to find X number of hidden mickey's a day?

MMouse6937
10-18-2007, 05:21 PM
We have also tried to find as many hidden mickeys as we could, that was fun.

I like the idea of the pontoon boat, DH would prefer a water mouse though I'm sure.

DH loves the Segway tour. If you take the one before WS opens you get kinda a neat, behind the scene action.

Have fun, I look forward to seeing more interesting things people come up with. :thumbsup:

iwannagotodisneyworld
10-19-2007, 02:30 PM
This may sound kind of childish, but since you mentioned drooling... :funny:

One adventure added to our last trip was the penny presses. Our son bought the book and had a fun time finding the penny press machines in the parks, at the resorts, etc. and filling the whole book! Each machine makes a different impression on your penny. It's not all that exciting but can take you off the beaten path and we saw "different" things by seeking out the machines. Plus, it's not too expensive. :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-19-2007, 03:14 PM
You've found the right place for your Disney-craziness :mickey:

We've bought the Imagineering books, and take the time in each park to find all of the "hidden" jokes and tributes. Slows the trip down a bit, but really neat.

In MGM, we ended up teaching some of the CM's a thing or two (they were wondering why we were all crowded around a particular spot, and then we showed them the book...and they loved it!)

Disneyfun
10-20-2007, 05:18 PM
One of my favorite activities to do that isn't well known is the nature trail from the back of WL over to FW campground. It is a nice walk as long as it isn't too hot and the state bird (mosquito) isn't in force. I like the stables at FW where they stable all of the horses that work at MK.

spoiledraf
10-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Try a 7 AM fishing trip out of the Y&B in the sping or fall and go over to the World Showcase. It's a great view of the World from the middle of the lake and if you go in October, the sun will just be coming up. and nobody is in the park yet. Plus the fishing can be pretty good too.

faline
10-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Have you been to Hoop de Doo?

Try renting a canoe at Fort Wilderness and canoeing the canals. Or rent a bike and bicycle through the campground.

Book a carriage ride or take a hay ride.

Pick a tour - as others have noted. Have you tried the Behind the Seeds Tour in the Land?

crazeedizneefinatic
10-21-2007, 08:47 PM
One adventure added to our last trip was the penny presses. Our son bought the book and had a fun time finding the penny press machines in the parks, at the resorts, etc. and filling the whole book!

We did that our last trip and filled a whole book! You can actually get a print out for free of all the machines in all the parks and even DTD from Town Hall in the MK. THe list was pages and pages long and it tells you exactly what image is where. It really was fun trying to find what we needed.

Tom Servo
10-22-2007, 12:20 AM
First off, let me say this: gosh golly, you folks sure are friendly and helpful! I've been an Intercot reader and fan for a while, but this certainly cinched it.

The tours are one thing I've had interest in doing yet, for whatever reason, haven't gotten around to so far--that might be a good place to start. I've done the Behind The Seeds tour at The Land, and that was a really great time, educational and fun (I freely admit my nerd status). The thought of riding a Segway around Epcot in particular tickles my fancy... and going from 6 foot 2 to 6 foot 10 with wheels and a snazzy helmet? Sign me up!

Dinner with an Imagineer sounds like a dream come true, as I find the world of Imagineering to be utterly fascinating. And if it's coupled with Artist Point cuisine, knock me over with a feather.

Don't want to go point-by-point and risk inducing sleep in people at work, but thanks again for the most wonderful suggestions, and I look forward to this vacation now more than ever :mickey:

Through the looking Glass
10-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I enjoy booking a very early breakfast at the Magic Kingdom, usally an hour before the park opens. It's kinda fun wandering around the park with no one there.