PDA

View Full Version : viewing Space shutttle and getting back for MNSSHP?

andywicks
10-17-2007, 04:58 AM
Hi all,

Firstly - 3 days 'til we arrive at WDW and counting! I am so excited!

..to my question:

There is a space shuttle launch scheduled at Cap Canavaral on 23 October and I also have tickets for MNSSHP and Dinner an Tony's Booked for 6 pm.

Can anyone offer the benefit of their experience on going to Cape Canavaral to see a launch and how busy it gets / best (free ?)places to park and view and quickest to escape back to Disney afterwards?

Given that we live in the UK, the chance to see a shuttle launch whilst we are on vacation would be a rare event and I am keen to go (but not if it wrecks my plans a Disney forthe evening?).

(WE LOVE MNSSHP!):mickey:

Any helpful advice would be welcome!

Strmchsr
10-17-2007, 07:01 AM
IF everything goes on schedule you could get back in time for MNSSHP. You can see the shuttle going up from WDW, but, of course, it's nothing like being there up close. The only hesitation I would have is that these things are notorious for delays and I would hate for you to drive over there, miss part of your day in WDW, and then there be a scrub or delay.

Michigander
10-17-2007, 09:02 AM
I agree, but then again it's a once in a life time chance. It is so worth going and watching it go up, you'll never see anything like it again! Yes it gets busy and the drive is about an hour away but if you can see it and be on the road by 4:00 you will never regret going. Good luck have a great time, let us know if you do get to do this:thumbsup:

Momof2boys
10-17-2007, 09:33 AM
I wasn't aware of a launch on the 23rd. We also have tickets for MNSSHP that night. I remember last year we were going to see a launch but it was delayed. I guess seing it from WDW is better than not seeing it at all.

MNNHFLTX
10-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Since the launch for October 23rd is scheduled for 11:38 a.m. (and the window closes at 11:43 a.m.), I don't think you will have any problem getting back in time for your reservation at Tony's and the Halloween party. It is about an hour and 15 minutes drive from WDW over to Titusville, where you can watch the launch by parking along the river on U.S. 1, across the lagoon from the Space Center and the launch site. Keep in mind that this is a popular place to watch the launches, so try to get there at least an hour early. Also, expect traffic to be very heavy back to Orlando, following the launch.

As far as the easiest route over there and back, I would recommend taking Interstate 4 north from Disney World to the tollroad 528 east. Take it all the way to Interstate 95, then go north up to Titusville. Take state road 50 east over to U.S. 1 and find a place to park! We have had had other threads that discuss viewing areas and such. Here is one:

shuttle launch (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=95713&highlight=shuttle+launch)

I agree that it might be an iffy prospect these days to see a launch, as they do frequently get scrubbed and rescheduled. But if you do get the opportunity, it is definitely and experience you will never forget. If you decide to stay in the WDW area, rest assured that you will still be able to see the launch from there, it just won't be quite as brilliant.:mickey: