PDA

View Full Version : What if it snow at the parks???

Itchy
10-16-2007, 10:04 PM
If it snows at the parks would they have sleds or tire chains for the handicapped vehicles??

I have been there for rain, tropical storm
( almost hurricane ) and a lot of heat and still loved the place.

BronxTigger
10-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I really don't think this is something you need to worry about.

I've only been there one time when it got below freezing, but it warmed up above that during the day. It was dry when it got that cold too so snow was not an issue. I'm not sure if it has ever snowed at WDW.

disneymom15
10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
I've been there when they make snow. It's really neat to see.

Strmchsr
10-17-2007, 07:05 AM
If it snowed enough at WDW to worry about tire chains I'd be more concerned about the imminent Second Coming.

Regardless of weather, Disney will take care of you.

playdead88
10-17-2007, 07:45 AM
has it ever snowed in orlando? i can remember a trip in feb. in 1988 i think that there were frost warnings and all the hotels had plastic bags over plants outstide, but snow? im sure if i googled it i could find out if that has ever even happened :mickey:

ibrowse17
10-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Having grown up in the south, I can tell you that all they would have to do is wait for a few minutes for the snow:snowball: to melt. Ice would be a bigger and more likely problem than snow, but I am sure they have a plan. While I would not worry about that, it would be fun to ride a sled down Main Street:sled:

Strmchsr
10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
has it ever snowed in orlando? i can remember a trip in feb. in 1988 i think that there were frost warnings and all the hotels had plastic bags over plants outstide, but snow? im sure if i googled it i could find out if that has ever even happened :mickey:

Although no measurable amount of snow has ever fallen (though areas just west recorded up to 2" in 1977), trace amounts were officially observed on December 23, 1989, and trace flurries of ocean effect snow were also reported in nearby coastal Brevard County on January 24, 2003 and due to a passing cold front on November 21, 2006. That 2006 caught everyone (including me) off guard, though I remember quite a few "magical" trip reports last year from people seeing snow in WDW, even if only for a few minutes.

thrillme
10-17-2007, 10:00 AM
It snowed BIG in San Antonio one time about 22 years ago. It shut down the whole city for 3 days it was so neat. I think we had a record of almost 12 INCHES. I totally LOVED it even though all the roads were closed going in and out...The biggest trucks still somehow made it though to deliver food to stores but few people drove except those with really big vehicles or 4 wheel drive. Occasionally we'll get flurries or about a 1/2 inch or something. Dallas and Houston get a bit of snow sometimes.

But Orlando...IF it ever snows that hard I'm quite certian that would be something for the record books. Enjoy and take TONS of pictures...

disneycouple2004
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
If it snowed enough at WDW to worry about tire chains I'd be more concerned about the imminent Second Coming.

:exactly::ditto:

:thumbsup:

Could not agree more !!
:D

TheRustyScupper
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
1) Don't worry about getting around.
2) There are snow contingencies.
. . . lots of CM's have SUV's and can help transport you
. . . the utility golf carts work well on ice
. . . your flip-flops glide well on snow
. . . they bring our the snow ski's from Lost and Found
. . . left-over orange peels tied together make great sleds

Caroleh
10-17-2007, 02:04 PM

:rotfl::funny:

#1donaldfan
10-17-2007, 02:26 PM
yeah, when it does that we can ice skate from POR to DtD........ha, ha.......I'd love to see that...

DessertDivaFL
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
If it did get cold enough for ice that would give a whole new meaning to "Disney on Ice". :iceskate:

PrincessEmmasMommy
10-17-2007, 05:12 PM
When I went to college at USF in Tampa I remember once when it snowed and left a trace amount of the white stuff on the grass. Also, last year during Thanksgiving week it snow flurried in the Orlando Area (I was in Oviedo at my dad's house).
Crazier things have happened!
Jen

JerseyWDWfan
10-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Snow? In Disney World? Seriously? In what part of the United States do you live?

MNNHFLTX
10-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I lived in Orlando for many years, and the only time I can recall even seeing a trace of snowflakes in the air was on January 28, 1986, a very cold morning that also happened (tragically) to be the day that the shuttle Challenger exploded. :(

It's not uncommon for Central Florida to experience freeze warnings during the winter, but generally speaking for it to get that cold the skies are clear. Therefore no snow.

I do remember the 2003 snow over on the beach however. I didn't actually see it, but it made for a memorable moment for some schoolkids who got a special recess to go outside and play in the snow.

bleukarma
10-19-2007, 01:03 PM
If it snowed at WDW then I would forget about tire chains! I wouldn't want to get on the roads...nobody in FL would know what to do! They don't teach you how to drive in snow down here. When I lived in OH for two years I'm surprised I didn't kill anyone during the winter months!

Maleficent's Dad
10-19-2007, 02:03 PM

:funny: :rotfl: :rotfl: :funny:

Take it from Chris - he knows the weather!

ncscgirl2005
10-19-2007, 02:39 PM

:thumbsup: I'd be very afraid!!!!!! Here in the middle of SC we don't get snow either but I'd be very afraid we got that much!

ncscgirl2005
10-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Having grown up in the south, I can tell you that all they would have to do is wait for a few minutes for the snow:snowball: to melt. Ice would be a bigger and more likely problem than snow, but I am sure they have a plan.

:thumbsup: Absolutely. I was born on raised in the south where just a half-inch of snow will shut the whole town down!!!! Ice is more likely than snow.

big blue and hairy
10-19-2007, 03:27 PM
If it snowed the amount you're talking about in WDW, it would be the lead on ABC news....

:sulley:

CPT Trips
10-21-2007, 03:56 PM
If it snowed the amount you're talking about in WDW, it would be the lead on ABC news....

:sulley:

Since Hades would freeze over first, I don't think it would be the lead. Well, you did say ABC, so I guess you might be on target.:D

Buttercup
10-21-2007, 04:17 PM
You don't know a thing about snow until you've lived up here in Canada! :D
I think the most you'd ever see down there is a few flurries... nothing that would require chains on tires!!!

PeterPan
10-22-2007, 12:05 PM
They've had some REALLY cold times, and some ice, but really no snow to speak of (as everyone has said). I do remember a bone-chilling freeze - I think it was 1989. They had all kinds of heaters going in the bushes at Jungle Cruise to keep the rare tropical plants from freezing. They were only a little but successful. There was LOTS AND LOTS of replanting going on immediately. In fact, my father was absolutly blown away by the fact that one flower bed at the Caribbean Beach was totally destroyed by ice when we arrived, and totally replanted and blooming before we left.

Ice would be more likely any year - snow would be extremely rare.

BigRedDad
10-22-2007, 01:49 PM
This is funny. I lived in South FL most my life. I saw the snow in 77. I was in kindergarten and they let us play in "it". It was only pin-head size flakes that melted before or right after they hit the ground. There was another snow in the late 80s. You could see it as it passed a street light, but t never made it down to hit your hand.

The ground in FL is far too warm for a snow storm to have an affect. If it became something to concern over, there are much greater things happening to be worried about: Apocalypse, Nuclear Winter, Ice Age.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-22-2007, 02:41 PM
What are you people talking about?

It snows every year at WDW. On Main Street and the Streets of America. Where have you been? :D

I'm a native Floridian, so the concept of snow is beyond my grasp. I can guarantee if there is every a possibility for real snow anywhere in Florida, I would be locked in my room with the heater on to 80, and wrapped up in bed with about 20 comforters and 10 pairs of socks.

Then again, I think anythng below 73 is cold...I'm cold right now.

caryrae
10-22-2007, 03:24 PM
From Wikipedia:

During the winter season, humidity is lower and temperatures are more moderate, and can fluctuate more readily. Average nighttime lows in January are around 50 °F (10 °C), and average daytime highs are about 72 °F (22 °C). Temperatures rarely reach below 32 °F (0 °C), though the city can drop below freezing once or twice a year. Because the winter season is dry and most freezing temperatures occur after cold fronts (and their accompanying precipitation) have passed, Orlando experiences no real snowfall. Although no measurable amount of snow has ever fallen (though areas just west recorded up to 2" in 1977), trace amounts were officially observed on December 23, 1989, and trace flurries of ocean effect snow were also reported in nearby coastal Brevard County on January 24, 2003.

Itchy
10-24-2007, 02:31 PM
I had fun with this thread.

I have lived in southern Michigan and I have seen a lot of snow. I have been in Florida in January and loved the temp.

But think about it, I know it sound crazy but it would be a mess if they had snow on the ground and streets.

Just think there would be little wait to get on the rides.....:number1:

JoRy
10-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Although no measurable amount of snow has ever fallen (though areas just west recorded up to 2" in 1977), trace amounts were officially observed on December 23, 1989, and trace flurries of ocean effect snow were also reported in nearby coastal Brevard County on January 24, 2003 and due to a passing cold front on November 21, 2006. That 2006 caught everyone (including me) off guard, though I remember quite a few "magical" trip reports last year from people seeing snow in WDW, even if only for a few minutes.

I was going on a the Disney Wonder for a Thanksgiving cruise in November of 2006. We had flown out of Nashville where it was 65 degrees, and flown into Orlando where it was 37. We were checking into the hotel when I thought there was a fire somewhere and ashes were coming down on us as I refused to believe there would be snow in Orlando. Anyway...it was pretty amazing...and the first day of our cruise was pretty cold, but once we went south, it was all worth it.