PDA

View Full Version : OKW or SSR or POR - which one?

mickeysworld
10-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Trying to plan a quick trip in December to take in the decorations and get into the holiday spirit, which would you choose: studio at OKW, studio at SSR or standard room at POR? Have stayed at Riverside before, never been to either of the other two.

Lucyrella
10-15-2007, 11:40 PM
We had a free upgrade from POP to OKW, and were in the 1 bedroom villa. The space was amazing, and all the little extra's such as a fridge, stove, ice maker, etc... The grounds are immaculate, the pools are wonderful and the extra's such as the kids playroom, the rentals for pool stuff, the counter service and the restaurant were great. The busses were abundant, and it was just a great place. We were totally spoiled for sure.

Maleficent's Dad
10-16-2007, 08:17 AM
I agree with what Carol Ann said above - OKW is very spacious - especially if you get a 1BR or larger. The studios, however, are just nicer standard hotel rooms - they come with a small kitchenette - sink, fridge, microwave.

Essentially, the DVC resorts - SSR and OKW will provide you with more in the room. 1BR & larger will have full kitchens, a living room, 2 televisions, etc...

All three are in the same area of DTD and all three have the same transportion options - ferries to DTD, buses elsewhere.

The main differences are the "feel" of the resort and the theming.

Of the three, I prefer OKW. I'd go to SSR next as it's much newer. The benefits at SSR are the views of DTD, the proximity to DTD (you can walk there - making bus transport to other resorts easier), and the size of the rooms.

All three resorts are nice. Keep in mind that SSR and OKW are set up for DVC accomodations. They are more spread out (although you can be far removed at POR as well). Both DVC resorts have free laundry and more 'quiet pools.'

I'd look them up and compare. They are different. You just have to choose which is best for your family and situation. :mickey:

ncscgirl2005
10-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Trying to plan a quick trip in December to take in the decorations and get into the holiday spirit.

Gosh, that must be nice. I wish I could plan "quick" trips like that.

May524
10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I've stayed at OKW and SSR, and I would definetly pick OKW out of the 2. This is why...I LOVE the theming of OKW. Very relaxing, the rooms are HUGE and I've never had a problem there. SS is just my cup of tea, I can't put my finger on it. I've never stayed at POR so I can't comment there. If you stay at OKW, since it's SO spread out, if being near the main building is an issue, make sure to request that. Also remember that not all buidilngs have elevators.

#1donaldfan
10-16-2007, 12:21 PM
My votes for POR.......I guess you can tell by my signature.......good luck in your choice...

ThanxForNoticin
10-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Another vote for OKW. The rooms are a bit larger and quieter. If you are planning to spend a good bit of time at DTD, I would then consider SSR due to its location. Enjoy the time in December - it's a fun time to visit.

mermaidmarian
10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
I would recommend POR. I cannot offer a real opinion about SSR, as I have never stayed there - something about that resort doesn't grab me. We had a grand villa at OKW for 10 days in 2002. The room accomodations were fantastic. The resort itself did not feel very Disney - in fact, I figure if I wanted to stay in that large a space again, I would take a look at All Star Vacation Homes instead, for all of the feel of being on property I got staying at OKW. It is also not a very walkable resort; in my experience, our villa was on the edge of a fairway and you couldn't go and walk anywhere around it, except to walk along the parking lot access, which was a long and not very scenic route.

mickeysworld
10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I think I've narrowed it down to POR and OKW. The AP tasty offer deal has a studio at OKW for $370 for 2 nights with a $100 dining card, and POR is available for $237/2 nights with a $50 dining card. I'm leaning towards OKW just to try something new, but the price is right at POR!

Does anyone who's stayed in a studio know if there is good spot to put a pack and play? When we stay at POR, we usually put the pack and play by the sink area and close the curtain and it works like a charm. I'm afraid in the studio there won't be a good place for this? (The 1BR jumps up in price to over $500 so this isn't an option for us.)

DVC Mike
10-16-2007, 03:12 PM
As for room sizes:

POR ~ 314 sq ft, 2 double beds
SSR ~ 355 sq ft, 1 Queen & 1 double sleeper sofa
OKW ~ 390 sq ft, 2 Queen beds

Plus, OKW and SSR have a mini-kitchenette!