PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love AKL?

May524
10-15-2007, 01:59 PM
After reading the reviews lately on POP and how bad the service/transportation seems to be, I'm thinking of upgrading to AKL for our babymoon next month. Why do you love AKL? Whats so great about it? Or...why don't you like AKL, and what do you not like about it?
How are the busses? Also...do you think we should upgrade?
We would be staying in a standard view.

luvdiznee
10-15-2007, 02:22 PM
When we stayed at AKL, we had a Savannah View, but even with a Standard View you will be able to enjoy the beauty of that resort. Not to mention the Mara for a good Mango Smoothie and having BOMA right there. It would be a great stay! :mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
10-15-2007, 06:15 PM
We have usually stayed at a value resort (with the exception of moderate once) due to the fact we are never in our rooms or at the resort. Our DD is now in college so we decided to upgrade to AKL in Sept. being just the 2 of us. This resort is great. Not too busy like the monorail resorts seem to be whenever we visit them. They have very low lighting in the lobby for a romantic and low key feel. There are many place to get away to. The pool area was set up so you could sit by it or be in a private spot with lots of foliage around you. The spa pools are away from the main pool so the little ones are not jumping in and out all the time. The activities for the little ones were all the time. My DH & I even joined in the storytelling by the firepit and the night vision goggles were amazing. We spent alot of time at this resort and it was very relaxing. We even booked for next year b-4 we left. Hope this has helped. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

DVC Mike
10-15-2007, 06:20 PM
We love AKL, so much so that we bought DVC points for the Animal Kingdom Villas.

Laura670
10-15-2007, 07:00 PM
AKL is great we stayed there for the fist time in January and my DH & DD both fell in love with it! There's so much to do there. We had a Savannah view room but even in a standard roomthere are so many areas to view the animals also try out the night vision googles at night to see the animals. I had made reservations at WL for Dec but DH & DD loved AKL so much that we changed the reservation so we'll be there again in Dec.

dixielandings
10-15-2007, 10:56 PM
This is my DH's favorite Resort and I love it too. It has a very far away feel to it - in a couple of ways - it's far from other parts of WDW property; plus the theming is quite exotic. The animals roaming the grounds make it very interesting and very beautiful. The 2 restaurants are great - Boma for families and Jiko for a more dressed-up adult dinner. We found ourselves hanging out in the room more than we normally would. Most of the rooms overlook the Savannah - even some of the "standard" views, I think. It's bus transportation to everywhere but we don't recall ever waiting long. If you want to upgrade, it's a great choice. But don't be afraid of the Values. We've stayed at all manners of WDW Resorts and have had wonderful times at all of them. If you know what to expect and prepare for it, you'll be in good shape. Have a great time either way!

Momof2boys
10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
We are checking into AKL on Friday and we've done a ton of research - mainly because of it's location. Because the AKL busses don't share with another resort it's pretty much the same time duration if staying at another resort. When we stayed at the Poly or WL, we were always going to another resort to pick up or drop off people. We figured it may be a further distance but the timing shouldn't be that much more.

We also spend a good amount of time at the resort and we felt that AKL had a lot to offer for our family - me, DH, DS9, DS7

brewcrew26
10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
also try out the night vision googles at night to see the animals.

Are the night vision goggles complimentary or do you have to pay a fee or something? My future DH plans on getting up early to watch the animals on the balcony (I'm just not a morning person) and if its dark he'd like to try the goggles.

Can someone also tell me about the pool areas? I haven't read much about that on the boards lately. Are they usually busier at certain points in the day?

And, has anyone tried the spa at AKL? Just curious because we received a couple's massage through our Disney Honeymoon Registry and wanted to know where to make the reservation for it.

Thanks for all the great tips! :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
The theme at the AKL is incredible. Some folks view it as a 'dark' theme, but many (like us) view it as natual and relaxing at AKL. Throw in the animals, the pool, the service, and the restaurants (especially Boma and Mara), it's a very special place to stay.

Are the night vision goggles complimentary or do you have to pay a fee or something? My future DH plans on getting up early to watch the animals on the balcony (I'm just not a morning person) and if its dark he'd like to try the goggles.

FYI - the night vision goggles can be used outside at the main observation area. They are complimentary, but you can't take them back to your room.... As for the pool and spa - the AKL pool is very large and can handle a lot of people. I've never seen it so full that you need to be concerned.... I'm not familiar with the spa at AKL, but I do know they have excellent spas at Saratoga and at the Grand Floridian. Saratoga would be my wife's recommendation.

JuicyMoose17
10-16-2007, 10:42 PM
AKL is awesome!

The busses are no problem. there very frequent. There just a little dull (compared to taking a boat or monorail).

If you ask at the desk for a free upgrade to savannah view, they'll most likely give it to you because the rooms are usually underbooked.

The lobby is amazing and (this may sound weird but) the smell is magnificent. I think its boma and the fire.

You cant beat the view on the savannah. But, if u dont get a room with that view... dont worry there are lots f places to view the animals... its not like you'll want to lok at them all the time anyway.

five stars

mudpuppysmom
10-17-2007, 08:54 AM
We stayed at AKL a couple of years ago and I want to go back SO bad!! We had booked a std view room, but at checkin we were upgraded -- a nice surprise!! Once we got to our room and I saw our "view" I was a bit disappointed, until the next morning when our DS ran to the sliding door and threw open the curtain and screamed there was a cow and a zebra outside!! That made it all worth it.

We were placed in a quiet area overlooking the hot tub to our right and the savannah to the left. Each morning we saw so many different animals, it was unbelievable. One morning when it was raining outside we took it easy and DS and the ankole cow he became "friends" with were moo'ing back and forth to each other! He was just tickled.

There are lots of spots to go outside the hallways and see the animals, so if you get a std. view room, not to worry -- you'll see the animals all over the resort!

The two restaurants there, Boma and Jiko are different as stated -- Boma is a buffet and a little busy and noisy, while Jiko is more "refined" and quiet. The last time we were at Jiko on Mother's Day I had a celebrity run me over -- it was Collette Peters from the Food Network!! She must have been there having a meeting about the F&W festival I thought. Anyway, the food at Jiko is just wonderful and the service equally as wonderful.

For the pool -- if you get up in the morning and hand out at the resort, the pool is virtually empty, maybe a few people there. In the evening after the parks close I remember it being pretty busy with kids. I did like that it was zero entry so DS could just walk in and out and I could easily keep an eye on him that way -- plus he didn't go far since he was three!

The only drawback, if you see it as one is that the rooms are a little bit of a hike from the bus stop/parking lot area. If you are staying way at the back of the resort it might take you about 10 minutes to get to your room, and at the end of the day that seems like forever! Still -- it's a wonderful place that makes me relax! Normally when we are at WDW I'm a stress ball trying to get everything in that everyone wants to do. The trip we stayed at AKL I just really relaxed and we did whatever we got to do, no stress. I think it had a LOT to do with the resort and the feel it has.

BugeyedMuggy
10-17-2007, 09:52 AM
The 2 hot tubs are in great locations. They are not right around the pool. One is behind the slide in an area secluded by foliage. It seems very private. We like it because it's away from the pool so the little kids aren't jumping in and out. The other one is located neat the area where you use the night vision goggles. It is also away from the pool .
The busses were never a problem. We never waited more than 10 mins. and never stood on a bus. What we also liked is the fact that if it's raining you can get to the bus from the hotel without getting wet. You are always under cover.

#1donaldfan
10-17-2007, 12:16 PM
AKL, simply put......it's the staggering beauty of the resort !!!!!