PDA

View Full Version : Monorail or drive from MK to Epcot

mickey-mouse35
10-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Just two more weeks! On Oct. 30 we are going to start at Magic Kingdom during day and then end at Epcot. We will have a rental car. Do you think it's easier if we drove from MK to Epcot in late afternoon or took monorail?

I think the monorail will be faster going, but then we have to go back to MK/TTC after Illuminations to retrieve the car.

What do you think the best is as far as time saved, convenience and crowds on monorail vs parking lot? (Hours are not issue because it's a MNSSHP that night, so we could easily get back.)

mermaidmarian
10-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Just two more weeks! On Oct. 30 we are going to start at Magic Kingdom during day and then end at Epcot. We will have a rental car. Do you think it's easier if we drove from MK to Epcot in late afternoon or took monorail?

I think the monorail will be faster going, but then we have to go back to MK/TTC after Illuminations to retrieve the car.

What do you think the best is as far as time saved, convenience and crowds on monorail vs parking lot? (Hours are not issue because it's a MNSSHP that night, so we could easily get back.)

Park at Epcot. Take the monorail to MK. Return to Epcot on monorail. Leave after Illuminations from Epcot.

Parking at MK is a huge pain in the neck, IMO. It will be nearly as time consuming getting from the parking lot over to MK as it will be to travel via monorail from Epcot to MK. And this does not even include the time to get back to the MK parking lot when you want to leave.

DisFan01
10-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Park at Epcot. Take the monorail to MK. Return to Epcot on monorail. Leave after Illuminations from Epcot.

Parking at MK is a huge pain in the neck, IMO. It will be nearly as time consuming getting from the parking lot over to MK as it will be to travel via monorail from Epcot to MK. And this does not even include the time to get back to the MK parking lot when you want to leave.

I agree. This will be a lot easier than parking at Magic Kingdom.

mttafire
10-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Yep., Park at Epcot ride the Monorail to M.K. THEN back to Epcot.:thumbsup:

Altair
10-14-2007, 04:48 PM
I agree with the two previous posters. Be aware that you will take the monorail from Epcot to the transportation and ticket center not the MK directly. You must change monorails at the ticket center to get to the MK. Same deal on the way back to Epcot.:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
10-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Monorail :mickey:

mttafire
10-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I agree with the two previous posters. Be aware that you will take the monorail from Epcot to the transportation and ticket center not the MK directly. You must change monorails at the ticket center to get to the MK. Same deal on the way back to Epcot.:mickey:
Good point.:thumbsup:

kbean
10-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Park at Epcot cuz at the end of the day, you'll not be wanting to chase around for your car.

GrmGrninGost
10-14-2007, 09:14 PM
No doubt in my mind, take the monorail! It might not be faster but it is definitely more fun! :mickey: You can drive anywhere, how many places can you visit via monorail? :thumbsup:

LovinWDW
10-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Another vote for the monorail. It's alot more fun:thumbsup:

Piglet822
10-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Another vote for parking at Epcot in the am and taking the monorail to MK.
At MK you don't even park at MK, you park at the TTC. This means a tram ride to the maingate, then a monorail or ferry ride before you even get to the park.
If you park at Epcot and take the monorail over to MK (and yes, you do need to transfer at the TTC) your car is right there at the end of the day and by getting to Epcot first thing in the morning you should be parked fairly close to the front of the park making it even easier to find your vehicle :)

Jasper
10-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Yet another vote for parking at Epcot and taking monorail back and forth. We have run our own head to head tests of driving vs. Disney transport between many different locations at the World and almost always the person on Disney transport arrived at the destination before the person in the car. Granted there were occasional exceptions but they were few and far between!

Von-Drake
10-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Definitely Monorail. Just for the experience.

delusionalstitch
10-15-2007, 09:06 AM
We normally park at epcot take the and use the monorail to get back and forth. Generally after Wishes and spectro we go hang out in world showcase because my GF loves World Showcase after dark :)

Spaceship Tigger
10-15-2007, 09:40 AM
I would not want to try and get on the monorail after Illuminations. Expect a long line at the station. I would definitely prefer to park at Epcot.

Main Street Jim
10-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm with everyone else on this issue. I always recommend parking at the park in which you'll be ending your day. If you're ending at Epcot, like everyone else has noted, your car is right there, as that parking lot is right in front of the park. The monorail from Epcot to TTC early in the morning usually isn't busy; ask a Cast Member if you can ride in the cab. :thumbsup: They can take up to four guests, so if you have kids, they'll love the ride (plus they usually give a "Monorail Pilot" license!).

devoted93
10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
The Monorail into Epcot is also really cool as it swings into the park and does a nice curve through Future World. I suppose if someone was poor and couldn't afford a ticket, they could just pay for the parking and ride the Monorail to see the inside of Epcot :)

Of course, then it would be very depressing to just leave and not go in ...

carribeanpirate5
10-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I agree with everyone else. The monorail is like a ride anyway. Also, sit up front with the driver on the way from MK to Epcot. Wait for a few monorails if you have to. The ride is great and the pictures of SE and FW come out great!

EJS-Houston
10-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I would always choose the monorail over almost all other modes of transportation. I still have a sense of wonder about it, given that my first visit to WDW was in 1972, when there wasn't a monorail in virtually every airport in the country and there was still a sense of futuristic novelty about it.

McGoofy
10-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I think the people have spoken! It's clear that you should park at Epcot and take the monorail! That's what I would want to do too. I love riding the monorail. That's just one of those unique Disney "must do's." I think you'll be glad that you did!:mickey:

11 more days and counting for me!!!!:mickey:

mickey-mouse35
10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Wow--you guys are awesome! :thanks: So glad it was anonymous! :mickey:

Terra
10-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm with everyone else on this issue. I always recommend parking at the park in which you'll be ending your day. If you're ending at Epcot, like everyone else has noted, your car is right there, as that parking lot is right in front of the park. The monorail from Epcot to TTC early in the morning usually isn't busy; ask a Cast Member if you can ride in the cab. :thumbsup: They can take up to four guests, so if you have kids, they'll love the ride (plus they usually give a "Monorail Pilot" license!).

I agree with everyone else...park at EPCOT!

And yes!! Ridingin the cab is awesome. So take Jim's advice and try to do that in the morning!! It's the best view!! It makes me want to be a monorail driver everytime!

mickey-mouse35
10-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Just realized I have to be at MK at 8:15 for Crystal Palace ADR. What time do I need to be at Epcot to catch monorail to get to MK in time? I'm thinking 7:30--can I get into Epcot parking lot that early??

Main Street Jim
10-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Nope. Parking lot at Epcot doesn't open that early, I don't think. And even if it did, the monorail on the Epcot loop doesn't run until 8:00am, starting at TTC.

You'll have to go to MK parking and take the Resort monorail (Express runs at 8:00). My recommendation: park at TTC NO LATER than 7:45am, take the resort monorail to MK (third stop). There'll be an entrance for breakfast guests at the turnstiles at MK.

brownie
10-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Another vote for parking at Epcot and taking the monorail to and from the Magic Kingdom.

Main Street Jim
10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
They can't park at Epcot if they have an 8:15 ADR at Crystal Palace...

mickey-mouse35
10-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks Main Street JIm!