PDA

View Full Version : The "Oh My Gosh" Last Minute Trip Pre-Trip Report

iwannagotodisneyworld
10-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Background: My husband and I have been on a roller coaster of sorts since May. We were both told within 2 days that our jobs were being eliminated and we became empty-nesters all in the merry merry month of May.

I found a new job quickly (so we had income). The agency I work for has had involvement with the Crandon, Wisconsin shootings. Besides learning a new job, the past week has been very stressful to say the least. It is also so very sad, please keep praying for the families!

My husband has other employment now also and we're seeing a way through the abrupt change of jobs, etc.

So! A vacation was in order. We planned a quick weekend get away for October 12th through the 14th to a local resort area we love. However, once we figured out the total cost of our weekend I got to thinking about how much time we'd really have together to enjoy ourselves... it amounted to a little under 24 hours. Not really the vacation we need.

The Discovery: So wasn't it just SERENDIPITY when I saw a banner ad which said $59 per night at WDW?!!

Of course, I checked it out, then added park hoppers, then the dining plan, then I looked for air fare. Could it be? IS it true? We could afford that!! Oh My Gosh! We're going to Disney World in two weeks! :mjump::goofy::dale::donald::dumbo:

The Plan: We are arriving October 28th and staying thru November 4th, at Pop Century with park hoppers for length of stay, on the dining plan. I have made ADRs for Coral Reef, Rose & Crown, Kona Cafe, Whispering Canyon, Crystal Palace, Mama Melrose AND California Grill. :tasty::eat:

This will be the first time we've gotten away alone in 12 years (for more than a weekend) and we're SO excited to be going to see Mickey Mouse!

So celebrate with us Intercotees. We're leaving in 2 weeks and can't wait to share with you all our trip reports upon our return.

I'm also interested in the newest things (like the restaurants in Epcot) and things that are closed. Anything you want to share is appreciated.

Anxiously counting down my 14 days. :silly:

judoma
10-13-2007, 06:59 PM
OMG, it sounds like you totally deserve this vacation! MY DH, DD(8), and DS(6) are taking our first trip on 10/27 through 11/3! I hope you have a blast! Here's to counting down the days!:mickey:

AbeeNormal
10-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Hooray... Hooray... :trio:What better way of getting yourselves a better perspective on life and what it throws at us than this:thumbsup:

I am so excited for you both. It sounds as if much needed R&R & Fun are on it's way. My heart is with you and those who went thru that horrible tragedy. :heart:

Have a fantastic time and please give us a full report. :hi::dance:

HndrdPrcnt
10-14-2007, 12:46 AM
When wanting to escape reality, there is no better place than DisneyWorld. Our family has had a crazy year and we so badly need a DisneyWorld trip. However, we will need to wait until Sept of next year before we will be able to get back. I would love to just jump on a plane and head out now. But, not going to work. So, I patiently (or not so patiently) wait!

vizsla
10-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Have a great time and a safe trip.

Momof2boys
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Hello fellow Wisconsinite ! What better place to getaway than to WDW. We return from Florida on the 29th and hopefully between the two of us we can bring some sunshine & a bit of late-fall warmth back to the Badger State.

Have a great trip :mickey:

iwannagotodisneyworld
10-16-2007, 10:16 AM
:mickey: Judoma, maybe we'll pass each other on Main Street USA! ;)

John (HndrdPrcnt), keep looking forward to that Sept trip and keep your eyes peeled for the deals. I've been whining about going (hence my screen name!) since we last were there 5 1/2 years ago! By always pricing out a trip when I saw a deal, I wore my husband down and he couldn't say no. :D To paraphrase Dorie, Just keep pricing, pricing, pricing, just keep pricing! :thumbsup:

Momof2boys, indeed the Badger State does need a good deal of sunshine! Wave goodbye as you're leaving, we'll wave hello as we arrive, maybe we'll pass each other. :hi:

McGoofy
10-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I am so glad that this all worked out for you!

Maybe I will see you. We'll be there from October 28-November 4th as well. We'll be at MNSSHP on 10/31. Any chance that you will be at that? If you see a large group of 12 adults and one child running around, that may be us!

Have a wonderful time and a safe trip!:mickey:

Dsnygirl
10-16-2007, 02:15 PM
:mickey: Can I just tell you, you are going to SO enjoy yourselves!! My DH and I just got back from our first solo trip since our girls were born (they're 6 & 9, and yes they stayed behind very graciously... :blush:) and we had the best time!! We were afraid we'd really miss being there w/ them, seeing things through their eyes... we were even a little afraid we'd seem foolish doing so many things down there as "just adults". But it was awesome -- we had the time of our lives, and nothing seemed foolish or childish - we rode every ride we wanted to and were kids all over again, and it was just what we needed.

This trip sounds like something you two really need right now, and deserve -- and I just KNOW you are going to have SO much fun!! Have a GREAT time!! :party:

iwannagotodisneyworld
10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Tara: No we won't be going to the MNSSHP but I hope you have a magical time. We WILL, however, be watching the fireworks (Hallowishes) from atop the Contemporary one night as I've just learned they treat that show the same as Wishes at the CA Grill and we have a ressie that coincides with the show. :thumbsup: :fworks:

Blythe: Thank you so much! I'm sure we're going to have a wonderful romantic trip, just the two of us. :cloud9:

For anyone else reading this thread, I found the best reminder for last minute trip planning inside of a Dove Promise the other day. For those who aren't chocoholics, Dove Promises are little bites of heaven. The "promise" inside said, "Make 'Someday' today!" That pretty much sums up how this trip happened and why we're going. :D

So, when is your 'someday' ??? :yes:

judoma
10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
I hear ya on the "someday". Tha is essentially why we are going now. Of course our kids always want to go. DD did an all about me thing at school and for the place she wants to go the most she said Disney World. DH and always say yeah someday we'll go. :blush: Anyway, we were unable to vacation over the summer (we ussually go up the mountains of PA) because DH started a business in January of this year and had a HUGE job that consumed summer. Friends of ours went about 2 months ago and talked about it constantly all summer long. We said what the heck let's check it out, got really excited about it, and then booked it. We made our someday, now!:thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
10-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Hope you have a great trip.

faline
10-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Not too much longer for you to wait now! Have a wonderful trip!

iwannagotodisneyworld
10-26-2007, 12:18 PM
:joy: It's T minus 44 hours and we're packed! We've got the dog lined up for the kennel :dog:, we booked a park and fly for tomorrow night :alarm:. We fly out at 6 a.m. Sunday morning so we will have "park time" on that day :thumbsup: and dinner is scheduled for Coral Reef. :tasty:

I am prepared with my Passporter to take copius notes and put everything into trip reports.

We are going to try many MANY new things this trip since we will be sans kiddos. Expedition Everest, Mission Space, Mickey's Philharmagic, the France film at Epcot, there's so many things! We're also repeating favorites like Illuminations, the mountains, Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror and Rock... he he - we like the thrill rides. We might hit a water park (I think there's only one open though). We'll definitely take it slower than before but I'm not sure I can break my "commando" habits. But the best thing, the biggest night, the thing I'm most looking forward to is our last night (Saturday) with dinner at California Grill, Wishes out the window and my sweetie sharing a lovely meal - I'm sure we'll feel we're on top of the "world". :cloud9:

Even just being THERE without kids will be so awesome (I know that sounds bad, but this is OUR trip and our kids are 19 and 22 - they'll be going on vacations without Mom and Dad in their lives and we DO want to take them to WDW again, just not this time).

ADRs are set for Coral Reef and California Grill, as mentioned, also Whispering Canyon, Kona Cafe, Crystal Palace, Mama Melrose, AND the Rose & Crown. Plus we will be "tasting around the world" at the Epcot Food & Wine Festival. Oh GOSH I'm SO going to enjoy all of that! Yum Yum Yum!

Can't wait. :mjump::tigger:

Watch for the reports!

ChipnDaleGal
10-26-2007, 01:28 PM
After the stressful time you both just went through it seems that a WDW is the perfect prescription!! I hope you have a wonderful time on your first trip alone in years. :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
10-27-2007, 03:15 PM
wow, you sure do need this vacation! have a wonderful time :mickey:

faline
10-27-2007, 05:23 PM
One more sleep and you'll be there! :mickey: