PDA

View Full Version : When did broccoli go out of style?

January-2007
10-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Having spent two weeks at WDW recently, on the dining plan, I have come to a realization. Broccoli has apparently gone out of style and it's cool cousin, broccolini is the new hard to chew vegetable in town. Am I the only one who doesn't like broccolini and doesn't see why they don't just server broccoli? Just an observation I found to be a bit odd. So many restaurants, so much hard to chew stems of this stuff, I guess I just don't get it.

kim1st
10-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Does broccolini really taste any different than broccoli???

Somehow "hey kids, eat your broccolini or you can't have dessert" sounds kind of wussy...hmmm.

Guess I'll have to make a trip down so that I can check this out!:mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Is brocolini the white broccoli that looks like a cross between broccoli and cauliflower?

I like it just fine. But then I like both Broccoli and Cauliflower.

Kairi_7378
10-13-2007, 10:54 AM
No, the broccoli-cauliflower combo is actually called broccoflower.

dmallan
10-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I too was curious as to what this was, and so did a little research. I found that broccolini is a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale.
According to the news clip I read, it's supposed to be very tender. Sometimes in restaurants they serve vegetables half raw, which in my opinion is :ack: . Maybe that's why it seemed so hard to chew.

brewcrew26
10-13-2007, 12:46 PM
This is such an interesting observation. I think a lot more chefs are being influenced by the celeb chefs, they lean towards using the popular foods of the time -- broccollini, pomegranate, etc.

I don't really mind broccollini, but I still like the gerth and stature (maybe not the right word I'm looking for...) that good 'ole broccoli has.

It also reminds me of a letter I wrote the first pres. bush when I was 8 about why he didn't like to "eat his little trees." My parents still have the framed response from him.

LibertyTreeGal
10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
It also reminds me of a letter I wrote the first pres. bush when I was 8 about why he didn't like to "eat his little trees." My parents still have the framed response from him.

So what did he say? I remember the flak he took about that, and I remember him saying that he just didn't like it and he jokingly mentioned that he thought that once he got to be President maybe people wouldn't be trying to force him to eat his veggies anymore :D

brewcrew26
10-13-2007, 07:49 PM
So what did he say? I remember the flak he took about that, and I remember him saying that he just didn't like it and he jokingly mentioned that he thought that once he got to be President maybe people wouldn't be trying to force him to eat his veggies anymore :D

He wrote in the letter how his mother was a member of the "clean plate club" when he was younger but it was one of those foods he never liked. He was amused by my little anecdote about how my parents would tell me broccoli was really trees and said that maybe his parents should have been as creative. He also sent me a picture book of the White House.

MMouse6937
10-13-2007, 08:53 PM
I also didn't care for the broccolini that was pretty much on the side of every steak my DH had while we were there. It wasn't a bad taste, but very tough to chew or cut up into bite sized pieces. I wish they could have had a different side vegtable.

DessertDivaFL
10-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Maybe it would be better with some of that infamous cheese sauce? :mickey:

I haven't made broccilini yet myself but then again, I haven't seen it in my local grocery store. Anyone make it at home? How do you prepare it?

DisneyorBust
10-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey there January 2007!
Which restaurants did you dine at? Just wondering if I have to be on the look-out for this!:D

January-2007
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I also didn't care for the broccolini that was pretty much on the side of every steak my DH had while we were there. It wasn't a bad taste, but very tough to chew or cut up into bite sized pieces. I wish they could have had a different side vegtable.

I'm glad I'm not the only one asking if they have any different vegetables. But alas, they did not. I know in May it was on the buffet at Cape May and in September it was on the side of our steaks at Coral Reef and Concourse Steakhouse, just to name a few. It was so tough and hard to chew, I guess I'm not sophisticated enough to appreciate this stuff!

RobWreck
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Consider yourselves lucky... back in the early 80's, my family went on an extended trip to WDW (13 days to be specific). That year, Florida had a BUMPER CROP of Zuchinni. Do you know what it's like to have zuhinni as your vegetable for every lunch and dinner for two weeks straight? :ill::sick::ack:
I'll take broccolini over that any day... ;)
Rob

PS: Thankfully, back then ketchup was considered a vegetable... :D

kim1st
10-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Warning! :offtopic:

PS: Thankfully, back then ketchup was considered a vegetable... :D

Weren't the 80's great? Ketchup was a vegetable, Kool Aid was fruit juice, Prince still had a name...

Ahhh...thanks for the nostalgia...