PDA

View Full Version : Equine therapy

Nate's Grandpa
10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Has anyone here had any experience with Equine therapy? A friend of mine was talking to 2 contractors from south Florida about a building project on Pensacola Beach yesterday.
One of the men mentioned his involvement in Equine therapy for autistic children. He said the results can be amazing. He witnessed a mom crying uncontrollably when her 3 year old son started talking to her for the first time ever.

I don't understand how sitting on a horse can have that kind of effect on an autistic child, but I am willing to try it.

DizneyRox
10-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Animals are amazing. They are often used for all sorts of therapy. I've seen dogs in use at retirement homes, etc.

They work wonders for my stress levels, I would certainly believe they can help other conditions as well.

martinfamily5
10-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I have a friend who has a handicapped (both physically and mentally) child and they have done equine therapy. I am not exactly sure what his results have been, but my friend says that he really benefits from it and really enjoys it.

Jenemmy
10-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Nate's Grandpa! How are you guys? I was thinking about you all just the other day :mickey:

I have not had first hand experience with Equine therapy myself, but recently had it recommended for my son. His physical therapist at school was talking about the benefits. It has something to do with the hip movement being quite beneficial in a physical therapy sort of way. Also, I have always understood that one thing my son was lacking was enough ceratonin's in the brain. There are certain activities that produce ceratonins -- one of which is slightly throwing off your equilibrium --- such as swinging, spinning, jumping on a trampoline etc.... I would think the motion of a horse might give you the same benefit. Sunshine also produces them, so riding on a beautiful sunny day would be a double bonus.

Like I said....I have only begun looking into this myself, so I am not all that knowledgable. Hopefully someone else will pop up with all the correct answers.

d_m_n_n
10-12-2007, 04:10 PM
OMG!! We did equine therapy for DS6(today) for several months when he was probably 20months. He is not autistic, but had a severe speech delay. As a baby he would not even babble and didn't begin even trying to talk until 18 months. Our sessions were 1 hour long, but by the time we got him belted and in the saddle it was probably only 45 minutes of actual movement. A high school girl would lead the horse, DH would be on one side and the therapist would be holding him on the other side. Sometimes he would hold a weighted ball to get him "deeper" in the saddle (I don't know if this was to get more from the movement) and other times he would just hold on to the saddle. While going around the arena, they would work on different sounds just like they would do in our living room. I don't know if it is the motion of the horses or what but whenever we would go for a session he would "chatter" all the way home. DH and I would just look at each other in amazement.

I say GIVE IT A SHOT!!! Our speech therapist has started offering it publicly and she is covered up with kids. From what I've heard it has been very, very successful for the kids involved. :thumbsup:

meandmydog1
10-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi, I am a Rehabilitation registered nurse. I work with severely brain injured patients and we use it all the time, many of my patients go to equine therapy every week. We have seen incredible results. The animals are specially trained and believe me they have a sixth sense about people and can do more things then we could even think of to help anyone in many situations. Definitely give it a try. Hope you have great results.

kakn7294
10-12-2007, 04:44 PM
I highly recommend the equine therapy unless the child has a fear of horses. I have no personal experience with it but an aquaintance of mine has a son who is profoundly mentally disabled and he has done wonderfully with the equine therapy combined with traditional therapies. Before the therapy, he hardly spoke and couldn't walk unless he was fully supported. Riding the horse strengthed his legs to the point where he can walk independently now and he is much more vocal and outgoing. I'd give it a try! The therapist are usually wonderful people and the horses and ponies love the kids and always seem to know just how to get through to them.

Nate's Grandpa
10-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Thank you all for your responses.
I had never heard of equine therapy before today, but I am learning more about it now.

I wanted to make sure equine therapy had been used by fellow Intercot members before I looked into it for Nate.

As usual, you came through for me. Thank you.

Jen - We are doing well. Nate has been in therapy for several months and has made significant improvement. His current two word saying is "Oh no!".

Jenemmy
10-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Jen - We are doing well. Nate has been in therapy for several months and has made significant improvement. His current two word saying is "Oh no!".

Ahhh -- wonderful to hear....I am so pleased to know the sweet kiddo is doing well :D

We are flying high over here because Travis said his first whole sentence today at school..."I want you to push me, please" while on the swings. YAHOOOOOOO.....We have waited 9 years to hear a sentence and he was even polite about it -- LOL.

Marilyn Michetti
10-12-2007, 09:18 PM
My "horse" is a blue ECV, but DD graduated from an agricultural college in Pa. with a degree in biology and Equine science, and has three horses. She did volunteer work for several years here in Az. with handicapped children on horses. It can make an amazing difference in balance and mobility. The greatest reward tho', is seeing a child learn to trust a huge animal, and smile when it "nuzzles". Part of the therapy is getting children to learn to pet and groom the horse if they're able, and the kids just love it. Beth thinks I should get on her big Rhett, but I DON'T THINK SO !!! To quote Columbo - "I don't even like being this tall".:D