PDA

View Full Version : Will we be able to eat...

judoma
10-12-2007, 01:16 AM
if we don't make reservations for each night?:sick:

I've been lurking for awhile and you all really seem to know your Disney stuff.:geek:
I've gotten a lot of tips on these message boards that I will be checking out for myself in just a few short days! But this question keeps comming up.

Right now I have table service reservations for 3 days.I don't like the idea of scheduling meals each day. I really want to relax and go with the flow on this vacation. I don't want to worry about rushing off to get somewhere at a certain time. Now I am starting to get nervous and wondering if I am even going to be able to sit down and eat without them based on a few things I have heard. What should I do?:confused:

McLiberal8
10-12-2007, 01:27 AM
I think it all depends on the resturants you are planning on going to, the time you want to go, how many people are in your party, and when you are visiting the park. I have gone on a trip for 2 with no reservations made and eaten everywhere I wanted to eat; it is definately risky, though, and we did have to wait at some resturants.

HndrdPrcnt
10-12-2007, 01:30 AM
:welcome:

My recommendation, make as many ADRs as you can at restaurants that you really want to give a try. If, however, you don't mind eating at counter service restaurants, then you can chance it more and just wing it. You can keep your 3 reservations and then just try other table service restaurants but have a back up plan if you can not get in. For instance, say your 1st choice is Marrakesh, however, if you can't get in, then you can have your back up plan be Tangierene Cafe' - same type of food, but in counter service format. Or, you could have San Angel be your first choice and then have the Cantina as your backup.

Overall, you will still be able to eat, you just may not get table service. Or, if you are flexible to eat a very early or late dinner, then you can probably still get table service.

Enjoy!

tiaramom
10-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Do People Double Book A Diner Reservstion..
I Heard This Being Done..
Ex:
Chef Mickey 5 Pm
Le Cellier 5pm
Same Day?????
Can This Be Done.
Not To Say I Would Do This..
Just Wondering

SBETigg
10-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Do People Double Book A Diner Reservstion..
I Heard This Being Done..
Ex:
Chef Mickey 5 Pm
Le Cellier 5pm
Same Day?????
Can This Be Done.
Not To Say I Would Do This..
Just Wondering

If you double book a reservation, the system is designed to flag that and one will be removed. It doesn't always happen that one is cancelled, but you're leaving yourself in the potential pickle of showing up for an ADR that has been cancelled and having no time to get to the other, so you end up with nothing. Plus, it's really not nice to take an ADR you are not going to use. With the popularity of many restaurants leaving some people unable to get seating, Disney has become ever more vigilant in booting ADRs from the system in the event of overlapping times or conflicting dining interests.

If you do plan to eat a few TS meals, whether of not you want to plan ahead, you are best making some plans in advance, and then cancelling those plans if you change your schedule as the time nears. Depending on the time of year, you could be leaving yourself open to having no table service availability or having to eat at weird times. Arguably, you have reduced spontaneity in your park plans without an advance dining reservation because you lose time in becoming slave to being on the phone with Disney Dining just hoping for an opening somewhere. It's certainly safe to leave some days open without ADRs as long as you're willing to truly go with the flow, take what comes up, or be prepared to eat counter service on those days.

sleepingbooty
10-12-2007, 09:04 AM
We just got back from a trip at the end of September. We did have all our ADRs booked, but we ended up having to make some changes. We had no problems getting an early dinner at the TS at our resort (Boatwrights) by calling the night before, and a lunch at San Angel Inn, calling the morning of. And we had a party of 8. If you're not set on specific restaurants or mealtimes, you'll be okay to wing it a few times. I would still advise calling in for a reservation rather than just showing up, though. Good luck!
Oh, and :welcome: to Intercot!

buzz638
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
We were in WDW from sept.30th to oct 7th, and it was a last minute decision. Myself and DW wanted a character breakfast at Polynesian,wich i've been able to booked easyly at a decent time (8h10). DD wanted desparatly a Chef Mickey, breakfast or dinner. The only thing i could get was a dinner at 9h00pm on tuesday oct.2nd !
We kept the reservation anyway,even if we tought it was too late,that our appetite would be gone and we would be too tired to appriciate the dinner.
We were at Epcot that day and it was raining,it rained almost all day. We won a dream fastpass in the morning after exiting Mission space. So we had time to do everything we wanted to do, so around 4h30 DW said why not go to Chef Mickey and see if they have a cancellation ? I was sceptical a bit but it was 2 against 1 !!!
We showed up at around 5h00pm and told the CM that i had a reservation for 9h00pm i wanted to know if she could do something ?
Well, she gave us a voucher that sais to return to the podium at 6h30pm and we would be seating to the next available table !!!

We were back at 6h30pm and 15 minutes later were sitting at a table with our drinks and waiting for Mickey !!!

I really did not know that this was possible, because i've been calling almost everyday for 2 weeks to check better availability, and the CM never told me that this was possible.

So i guess if it's possible,you can take a chance and show up. I don't know if it's possible at every restaurant, but now i know for next time, i won't hesitate to try :thumbsup:

judoma
10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Thank you all for your input! As we are foodies and intend to take advantage of all of the great offerings that Disney restaurants have, I will make ADR's for TS each day. Also, I would hate to "waste" TS on CS. I just hope it's not too late already! Thanks again! :cool:

#1donaldfan
10-12-2007, 01:00 PM
We are sorta like you.....go with the flow....However, this year we had several ressies in advance and it was not too bad.....I didn't feel like my day was planned for me....we just had to be at dinner at a certain time, which is essentially what we do anyway.....

vamaggie
10-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Thank you all for your input! As we are foodies and intend to take advantage of all of the great offerings that Disney restaurants have, I will make ADR's for TS each day. Also, I would hate to "waste" TS on CS. I just hope it's not too late already! Thanks again! :cool:

If you are on the Dining Plan I would definately make an ADR for a TS each day (unless you are doing some Sig Dining meals). If your plans change you can always cancel and try to do something else if needed. Better to have and not need/chagen than to want and not have. The other option for the time you are going is the F&W festival. My sister likes to go and stroll & sample as at least one evening meal on her trips.

TBY2225
10-12-2007, 03:53 PM
We went a few weeks ago during free dining. This is suppose to be the hardest time to get walk ups. All but 2 (Rose and Crown and Le Cellier ) of the resturants we ate at were taking walk ups with 35-45 min waits, including Kona Cafe, Boma, Whispering Canyon, Ohana, and Wolf Gang Pucks. I know most of these are in the resorts and DTD, but if you are flexable about where you eat and don't mind a short wait, It will probably be ok. Unless you are going around a holiday that is!