PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone bring a Bumbo?

JerseyWDWfan
10-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Just heard about this seat called a Bumbo. good for babies 3-9 months to sit in. Has anyone ever brought them to meals? I don't own one, so I don't know how big or bulky they might be, but they sound like a good idea. My littlest might enjoy sitting at the table with the rest of us rather than in the stroller.

:) K

sleepingbooty
10-11-2007, 04:44 PM
They are big and bulky. I can't imagine bringing one along, as nice as they are to have at home. It would take up all the room in your under stroller basket (assuming you're bringing your own stroller). Where will you put your diaper bag, purchases, etc? All the restaurants have high chairs, is your baby big enough to sit up in a high chair?

illini
10-11-2007, 05:06 PM
No way. They're way too cumbersome to lug around. I'm also pretty sure they wouldn't allow you to use one on a chair; they're meant for floor use only.
Just a little FYI on the Bumbos... look into them before you go out and buy one. I know there are lot of claims about them not being good for a baby, since it's essentially forcing them to sit up before they're ready to sit up. These came out too late for me to get one, so I didn't have to make that decision and don't really have an opinion one way or another. Just make sure and research it before you buy.

vamaggie
10-11-2007, 06:07 PM
If you little one can sit up on his/her own, I would get a high chair from the restaurant for him/her. The Bumbo does not have a strap to secure the child in it or to secure it to a chair and I would be VERY leary about putting it on a chair--too afraid it would tip the chair with the child in it. If the little one cannot sit up on his/her own, I'd keep her/him in the stroller. Better safe.

Disney Doll
10-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Seems like an unnecessary hassle. I'd skip it. I know it's hard, but you'll enjoy yourself so much more if you travel light.

BronxTigger
10-26-2007, 06:25 AM
I just saw something on the news about a recall of these bumbo things. Those of you that have one might want to investigate. They said something about kids who have fallen out of them and fractured bones.

gloriaring
10-26-2007, 06:44 AM
They have recalled them. They are very dangerous. My neighbor works in the ICU and she had a baby who was severly injured in one.

Marker
10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
According to Wikipedia, Bumbo is --- " is a drink made from rum, water, sugar and nutmeg.[1] Cinnamon is sometimes substituted for or added to the nutmeg. Modern Bumbo is often made with dark rum, citrus juice, Grenadine, and nutmeg."

Sounds like I wouldn't mind bringing one, but not sure it would really be right for babies. :D

I just saw a story about them on the news yesterday, and about the dangers of using them. Then they talked about how you shouldn't put them on top of tables, counters or other high places...... well duh!!!!! One look at them and it should be obvious that a baby who is mobile at all will be trying to climb out of it. I'm not so sure that the danger is actually in the product, but instead with the people who don't follow common sense and use it wrong. But that's just my opinion.

But no, it doesn't look like something you'd want to lug around.

pox24
10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
I dated a couple of them in college, I think. :confused:

ILoveLegos
10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Bumbos have been recalled - citing broken limbs and head injuries as the cause.

diz_girl
10-26-2007, 10:42 AM
The recall is a voluntary one and the manufacturer just gives you new warning stickers and instructions. Of course, this is on top of the warning that is already on it stating not to use a Bumbo on a raised surface, but it is for floor use only. I just bought a Bumbo a few weeks ago for my son and he likes it. I never put it on a high surface or leave him in it unattended.

The safety issue is because parents put a Bumbo on a high surface (table or kitchen counter) and left them unattended. Some parents are using it as another babysitting tool, just like some do with walkers, swings, exersaucers, bouncy seats, television, etc. All of these things are good for their intended purpose, for brief periods of time and with supervision, although I don't let my baby watch TV.

I agree that Bumbos would be cumbersome to lug around the parks and there is no strap to secure it to a chair. If your baby has enough back and neck strength to sit in a Bumbo then maybe you can use a highchair and use a couple of towels to prop him/her up. If you bring it anywhere, then I'd suggest just using it in your hotel room

magicofdisney
10-28-2007, 01:02 PM
We bought a Bumbo for my now 2yo when he was 3-4mos old. We couldn't leave him in it very long at any one time. But, he really seemed to enjoy it when we did use it. It was very helpful when he began eating solids. I think the use of the Bumbo may be one of the reasons he was walking at 9mos. Of course I have no proof of that, but it makes sense because it helps strengthen their back muscles when used properly. I agree that it's too big (albeit lightweight) to take into the parks.

EmmMOM2
10-29-2007, 08:10 AM
They are only supposed to be used on the floor, NOT on tables or any other raised surface so for that reason i say no.
Besides if the baby can sit up unassisted just get a high chair...if the baby is still a bit wobbly bring some blankets to prop the baby up in the high chair it ususally works for me.