PDA

View Full Version : Okay, this is really bothering me...

Hammer
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
How is it that your team is in the League Championship Series and you can't sell out game 1, with a Cy Young award winner from the home team on the mound? What is up with the people in Phoenix? I used to think that Atlanta was bad with fan support (sorry Mel and Janet, but your own players even said it), but Phoenix may be worse. That would not happen in Philadelphia...

Ian
10-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I have to say, that's kinda odd. I mean NLCS game 1 and you can't sell it out? That's a bad sign in terms of the level of support for your ball club.

You're right ... there's no way in heck that would ever happen here. Heck, tickets to game one of the NLDS were sold out for CBP and going for big bucks on eBay to boot!

Scar
10-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Heck, tickets to game one of the NLDS were sold out for CBP and going for big bucks on eBay to boot!Then the Phillies should have charged more so they can spend more.

As much as I hate to defend the Yankees, I saw post season tickets. The price for the tickets I saw were three times the price of D-back tickets for comparable location, and the Yankees were not only guaranteed sell outs, they could have even charged more and still sold out every game. So why shouldn’t they spend three times more on payroll.

And the D-backs did sell out the NLDS… with Cub fans.

Maleficent's Dad
10-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Home field, great game potential, it's pathetic that there are still so many seats available. I can understand why owners are so willing to move locations when venues generate poor ticket sales/revenues.

As much as I hate to defend the Yankees, I saw post season tickets. The price for the tickets I saw were three times the price of D-back tickets for comparable location, and the Yankees were not only guaranteed sell outs, they could have even charged more and still sold out every game. So why shouldn’t they spend three times more on payroll.
Tell me about it. As a season ticket holder, I lost a fortune with the Yanks going down in the first round. :(

Scar
10-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Tell me about it. As a season ticket holder, I lost a fortune with the Yanks going down in the first round. :(Lost? You do realize that that you can use the credit for 2008 regular season, don't you? ;)

Ian
10-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Then the Phillies should have charged more so they can spend more.Very true.

Lost? You do realize that that you can use the credit for 2008 regular season, don't you? ;)I think he was referring to the amount he lost on the resale market.

JanetMegan
10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
I think one of the main problems is like 2/3 of the population in Phoenix is over 55. My parents and grandparents retired there. Love the D-backs, love watching them on tv, but neither couple is a go out to a game type. I mean my gp's are 80. These are folks who cheer loudly, from the couch ;)

I think it's just a fact of life for the city. Now you would think they could still at least sell out the stadium, how many seats does it have?

Any yes, our fans are sorry, fair weather fans. Me included.

Maleficent's Dad
10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Lost? You do realize that that you can use the credit for 2008 regular season, don't you? ;)
Yes, I am aware of this - money is already being used for next year; this, unfortunately has been the case too often in the past few years.

Very true.

I think he was referring to the amount he lost on the resale market.
Correct. WS tickets traditionally pay for an entire season (yes, you read that correctly) of season tickets. Of course, you can go to the WS games - but it's hard to resist that amount of $$$.

Caroleh
10-12-2007, 08:54 AM
WAY back when the Twins were in the WS a lot of the corporations bought tickets. My DH had worked at our local radio station as a DJ and they had tickets. For the ALSC we would have paid 3 times the cost of normal ticket and the WS would have been more then that. Phoenix may not have the support of large corporations like other "smaller" markets. Plus, I agree with what Janet said, Phoenix has a very large older population. They may not want to sit in the uncomfortable seats for how many hours.

Advnt05
10-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Being in Atlanta, there were several problems. First, the Braves were in it every year so the novelty wore off. The Yankees overcome it but hey, they have long history and the come out of the womb in pin stripes up there.
Second, there are many things competing for the dollar in Atlanta. In November, you have the Hawks (which stink), the Thrashers (which stink), Many concerts, GA Tech, and UGA. They have similar up in NYC but here in Atlanta, college and high school sports reign supreme. They'll sell out a UGA game much easier than a Braves game. You don't have the college influence in NYC.
I imagine Phoenix has some similiar issues. Most of the people being older does not help.

We also found out in Atlanta, that when you get to the World Series, the casual fan is often cut out of the mix. All the tickets go to Corporations and scalpers (and Season Ticket holders). You'll see the World Series sold out in Phoenix but it won't be locals for the most part.

PirateLover
10-12-2007, 03:53 PM
The thing that surprised me the most was that they had trouble GIVING away tickets!!!! WOW.

I think one of the main problems is like 2/3 of the population in Phoenix is over 55. My parents and grandparents retired there. Love the D-backs, love watching them on tv, but neither couple is a go out to a game type. I mean my gp's are 80. These are folks who cheer loudly, from the couch ;)

That reminds me of this great old commercial for Veteran's Stadium where a woman is complaining to her husband that they never go out. He is in the other room getting food while she watches the Phillies game. She asks him why don't they go to a game and he says "You're watching it right now!!" Then the Phillie Phanatic reaches through the screen and pulls her in and she's magically at the game. The husband comes back into the room and drops all his food when he sees her on tv. ;)

FatherForce
10-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Hey, I'm a Reds fan.
I would have bought seats to any and all post season games!

That's why I booked my WDW vacation this year during October.

I knew I'd have the extra $

:(

WDWfanatic742
10-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Down here with the marlins, even we would sell out our games when we made the playoff's in '97 and '03 when we won our two championships. During the regular season, seats would be as empty then as they are now too. Have anyone actually seen a marlins home game this year or the past couple of years? It's actually pretty sad...

2Epcot
10-12-2007, 11:56 PM

I think it's just a fact of life for the city. Now you would think they could still at least sell out the stadium, how many seats does it have?

Any yes, our fans are sorry, fair weather fans. Me included.

Having grown up in Phoenix it has always been a place for people to retire and for "snowbirds" to visit during the winter, but I wouldn't call the area an older poplulation. The Phoenix area is also one of the fastest growing areas in the country, right there with Las Vegas. Many of these people moving there are families ... Lots of people from CA where prices are crazy here, but still decent in AZ. The 2000 census had the medium age around 30, with only 15% over 55. A 2007 report I found the medium age is up to about 35.

I don't know why they wouldn't be selling out. I'm not a real baseball fan, and only went to my first MLB games when the Diamondbacks came to AZ. Like many cities AZ has had a history of fair weather fans. I remember the days when there were plenty of seats for Suns games, then once they got good, you couldn't get them anymore. The same thing with the AZ Cardinals, though they are selling out now after moving into the brand new stadium.

Home field, great game potential, it's pathetic that there are still so many seats available. I can understand why owners are so willing to move locations when venues generate poor ticket sales/revenues.

Considering the D'backs have only been in AZ 8 years, I find it hard to believe that the excitment has died that much. I know those first games always sold out. I've been away for several years now, so I don't follow the AZ teams as much as I used to when I lived there.

JennyAnne
10-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't know...considering Cleveland is supposed to be a "mid-market" team, we certainly haven't had any issues selling out ALDS or ALCS games. It was done by lottery here for you to even have a chance to buy tickets (unless of course you went through a scalper). I think it's sad when a team makes it to that point in their respective sport and they can't fill a stadium with their own fans.