PDA

View Full Version : Figaro's Birthday Bash part 2

dlpmikki
10-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Tuesday 2nd October
The day started with a delicious breakfast at Boma. The humans enjoyed the succulent roast ham and many of the dishes offered but could not try everything. They did not need to eat for the rest of the day after they finished!

Next we wait in the room for Maintenance to come and fix the television in the living room. We can’t turn it on. We mainly need it for the weather forecast in the morning. The maintenance man is philosophical. He has done this job before. The tv is a wall mounted flat panel and the power cable falls out easily. Once fixed the tv will not turn off – only go to “stand by”. But this is only of concern to those who make a big thing about the environment, global warming and conservation. Such as, er, . . . .

They went shopping without me to start with – to get a celphone for Mikki to use in the US and some basics for the room. When they got back they thought it was time to visit a park and headed for Epcot. It was so nice to see Spaceship Earth in its pristine glory!:)

By the evening, Mikki is starting to miss the Internet so tries to connect the Ethernet cable supplied by Disney. There is no result and after trying all she can Mikki calls the help line. Someone will be along in a few minutes. An hour later she rings again. The engineer has several calls to make and if he can’t get to us by 8.30pm he will come tomorrow. The time now is 8.25. Nothing more tonight.

Wednesday 3rd October
Mikki tries the IT Help Line and is told the engineer was not actually tasked with our job yesterday. Well, Disney isn’t the only place where “Help Desk” is just jargon and in no way a description of what happens. The engineer will call today – sometime. Fortunately, we do not need to be here. We set out for the Studios.

Mikki has discovered Disney’s current trick to encourage you to buy trading pins. For every $30 you spend on other pins, you can buy one special pin at $1. Naturally, there are different versions of the special pin for each park and Downtown Disney. I hate to tell you how many of the special pins Mikki got from Epcot yesterday but she added a similar number of the Studios ones today. We wander round the park – including a trip to the Moon of Endor (where we were given dream fast passes for the studios) – before moving on to the Marketplace. Could it be Mikki will soon have some of their special pins?

At the Marketplace, the humans wander round the shops and eat at the Earl of Sandwich. What was that the guy at the counter said? He couldn’t understand Mikki’s accent! What was the name on the door of this place? Jolly bad show chaps. ;)

We return to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Someone has been in the room but the Internet connection still does not work. The Help Desk says the engineer has not been but this turns out to mean the job has not been reported done. We soon get another call from the engineer asking if he can come back – with a colleague.

I lie quietly on the bed for the next few hours while the two engineers work on the problem. One is from Disney and the other from the IT provider. The man from the IT provider can get his PC to work so pronounces the fault in our PC. Fortunately, the man from Disney can not get his to work and Mikki declares majority rules. They discover some sort of fault on the line but declare it to be a documentation error only. Having run out of ideas they leave suggesting Mikki try the Help Line again. She does.

I lie on the bed listening to Mikki’s side of the conversation. “I don’t know whether they did that. They didn’t mention it.” They just told me to ring you.” “That (why did they leave without finishing the job) is a good question.” We are not surprised to get another call from the engineers a few minutes later asking if they can come back. :D

The man from the IT contractor is still trying to tell Mikki the fault is in her PC because he can get his to work but that record is getting a bit worn and even the Disney guy looks like his patience is running out. :mad: He opens up a second socket in the living room. He explains the unit was once two rooms so there were two sockets. He discovers his PC works in this socket – and so does Mikki’s. Well, it works until you accept all the terms and conditions but then locks you out because the server has been told there is no longer a room to charge on this socket. Mikki and the Disney guy work out a temporary solution is to use the wire and socket in the living room and for him to change things in the switch room downstairs so the server thinks that is the socket in the bedroom. Amusingly while the Disney guy is doing the switch Mikki has to explain to the Internet guy what the plan actually is as he hadn't understood! It works – and we have only spent one afternoon and evening sorting it. It wouldn’t have been so bad if a few animals had come and stood outside our “savannah view” window. As it is, the only wildlife you see on the balcony is the hundreds or even thousands of love bugs.

This evening the humans are booked into Jiko. They shower and change quickly in the half hour left after the IT people leave. It is a couple of years since they have been but the food, service and overall atmosphere all remain delightful.:cloud9: Even the price doesn’t seem too bad either – but that may have something to do with the £/$ exchange rate at the moment.

disneydrmr
10-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Wow, so IT people everywhere are the same - useless! :D Glad they finally figured a solution out and you are now connected to the cyber world! Ugh - love bugs... hope the animals start showing themselves.. maybe they are scared of you Figaro?

dolphinmickey9170
10-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Gotta love the "HelpLESS desk". Glad everything worked out. Have you had your picture taken yet?

DizNee143
10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
oh man..what a production on the computer...glad everything worked out!! and i hope it continues to work jsut fine for you guys!!..sounds like a nice time so far...cant wait to hear more..:mickey:

KylesMom
10-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry that you've been stalled by computer problems. I'm sure glad they fixed it so we can receive your reports! Goodness, I hope you're not going to have any more service problems with your room . . . :(

So, after day three, how many pins DOES Mikki have so far? :D

dlpmikki
10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
So, after day three, how many pins DOES Mikki have so far? :D

Mikki won't let me count them but I know she has a lot more than Andrew!

offwego
10-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Glad Jiko's worked out...and sorry for the struggles with the IT folks.

ElenitaB
10-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Glad the internet connection issues got worked out.

So did the humans at least bring you back a "kitty bag" from Jiko?

Bethis26fan
10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Gotta love IT service. :)

Mickey 101
10-16-2007, 01:33 AM
I love reading your trip reports!

faline
10-19-2007, 11:52 AM
More problems?! How frustrating!

At least there was a nice dinner at Jiko!

pdrlkr
10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: