PDA

View Full Version : Figaro's Birthday Bash - part 1

dlpmikki
10-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Sunday 30th September
We are off on our trip to Walt Disney World, which will include the Intercot 10th Birthday “meet” (this is the real reason we are going to WDW at all). “We” is my two humans, Mikki (dlpmikki) and Andrew and two toy cats (both Figaro: Floppy cat, who Mikki likes because he is big and soft, and me, the original Figaro). We should have had a third cat, my “stunt kitten” Travelling Beanie Figaro. We discover in a few days that he has been left behind. I don’t know how I will explain this to him when we get back. I also don’t know how we will take the tricky “Where’s Figaro” pictures. Am I going to have to do my own stunts?!

We set off about noon and get to Gatwick in less than 4 hours including a stop to eat and rest. We leave the car with the valet parking service. It was very easy and not much more expensive than the normal car park (although we have done better deals with parking in the past when booking early).

We are staying tonight at the Gatwick Hilton. We have a good deal because my humans shop at Tesco. I relax in the hotel while they check in the luggage at Virgin Atlantic’s “Twilight Check-in” That goes smoothly. They also bring back sandwiches and drinks from “Marks and Spencer Simply Food”. The store is located next to the “Arrivals” gate but it is useful for us too. Cheaper than any alternative and better quality than anything else in the terminal.

Monday 1st October
Andrew and Mikki have breakfast at the Hilton – it was included in their room rate – and we set off to the terminal. Mikki sees a long line crossing the Virgin check-in area and is glad we did ours last night. She sees another long line for security and is glad the check-in agent told us we could use an express line because we are flying premium economy.

Ah but the express security line is suspended at the moment and – you guessed it – that line across the Virgin check-in hall is just part of the regular line for security. Mikki is even more relieved that we never leave things to the last minute.

Boarding is a little delayed and we settle into our seats on the upper deck. The overhead locker space here is very limited but they have plenty of cupboard space for the bags. The trick is to separate out the things you know you want before boarding (like books, noise-cancelling headphones and toy cat). Departure was delayed about an hour.

It was our first trip through Orlando International Airport since you are able to take checked bags on the shuttle. The careful segregation of outgoing and incoming passengers causes minimal delay boarding the shuttle but we guess also explains why we no longer have a security check after clearing customs.

We collect our car from the airport. Mikki skips the line by using the electronic booking machine. We are on our way to WDW and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Check-in there is smooth (no warning of what is to come) and we find our way to our one bedroom vacation home at the far end of the 5th floor corridor. There are even giraffe outside the window.

The humans are tired by now (and the heavy rain finishes any thought they had for going for an evening hour or so in Epcot) so get a quick meal in The Mara (and are pleased to be given a new DVC discount).

disneydrmr
10-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi Figaro! It's so good to 'hear' from you and know that you arrived safely at WDW! Glad the flight and all went smoothly! And how cool that you have giraffes outside of your window! Sorry that your Stunt Kitten was left behind.. be very careful if you do have to do any stunts... we don't want you getting hurt! Hope you have fun! Looking forward to reading more of your reports!

DizNee143
10-10-2007, 01:09 PM
yay!! your reports have started!! i love reading them!!
i am glad to hear that you and your humans arrived safe...sorry to hear it was raining when you got there though!!..
cant wait to hear all about the trip!! hope you guys have a blast!! :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear you have to do your stunts. Just be careful not to get hurt. I don't want to read about an ER visit. Glad you and your humans arrived safely. Happy Birthday Figaro.

KylesMom
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Figaro, I'm so pleased you've begun your trip reports. I know you'll have a great time meeting our Intercot friends! :mickey:

offwego
10-11-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm looking forward to reading about all your many adventures!!

ElenitaB
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Figaro, you didn't tell us that you left your stunt double behind. You might consider finding him some nice treats for when you get back... he might be a bit annoyed with the humans.

How cool that the giraffes were waiting for you, outside the room! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
10-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Glad everyone arrived safe and sound.

faline
10-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Traveling is so tiring! Glad you all arrived safely!

pdrlkr
10-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: