PDA

View Full Version : Happy Little Trees

Ian
10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
So, I'm at work the other day and somehow the topic of The Joy of Painting comes up. You know? Bob Ross? Happy little trees? The old PBS painting show?

Man, I used to love that show when I was younger. When I stayed home sick from school I'd put him on and just sort of let his voice lull me to sleep. I swear he hypnotized his show into good ratings!

Anyway, I poked around online when I got home and I was able to find like 10 episodes of his show. Now I'm hooked! DD and I watch one show a night and I'm trying to find more.

What about it? Any other Bob Ross fans out there?

IloveDisney71
10-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Okay - this is just weird - my husband and I were talking about him the other night. My DH was saying something like "look at the happy little clouds" and my 2 DD started laughing because they knew exactly who he was talking about. It was so funny. Anyway, I used to watch him and be amazed at how effortlessly he could paint. I was always jealous...my attempts at art are SAD!:blush:

kakn7294
10-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I used to love this show! He might be a little too "happy" but the man has talent. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Ian!

Caroleh
10-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I used to watch his shows all the time. I always wanted to paint like him. Ian, could you please PM me where you found his shows? I think my DH would love it also!!

Ten of Hearts
10-09-2007, 10:36 PM
I watch Joy of Painting fairly often. It's amazing how Bob Ross created his wonderful paintings. Besides the 'happy trees', there was also the mention of their location. It was like ''that tree lives there..." I love that. Bob Ross showed such respect and awe for the beauty of nature. :mickey:

Ian
10-10-2007, 07:27 AM
I knew I wasn't alone :number1:

I agree about how effortlessly he could make things just pop out of his canvas. I said to DD the first time I let her watch one of his shows, "Pay close attention to how, at first, it might not look like much and then all of a sudden he touches his brush a few places in a certain way and BOOM! You have this gorgeous tree ... or bridge ... or mountain ... "

We watched for like 15 minutes and she turned to me and went, "You're right. This guy is SO talented!"

Bear in mind she's 5 ;)

ldn324
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I totally LOVED Bob Ross. He seemed like he would have just been the most gentle and nice person. I would have loved to meet him. Just one of those guys that you wish was your uncle or something. He always made painting look so easy too.

He always reminded me of the lead singer from Boston too, Brad Delp. Sadly, we no longer have either of them :(.

Great to know they are still replaying his shows though. I'll have to look at the PBS schedule and see if it's showing in my area.

DMApixie
10-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I used to love that show and watched it all the time when I was little. I also put it on when I stayed home sick from school. He made it look so easy. I had forgotten about the “happy little trees” comments until I saw the title of this thread.

Funny you should bring him up. He was mentioned on the TV show “Chuck” this week. Chuck was at an art auction and commented that a painting looked “Bob Rossian.” Hee!! :D I didn’t get the reference until he described Bob Ross and that it was a PBS show. Then I knew exactly who he was talking about. (The international spy he was talking to never got the reference...poor deprived spy!) :spy:

Ian
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
You know one other thing I always liked ... the fancy colors he painted with. It was just plain old red ... it was "ALIZARIN CRIMSON" ... no boring, basic green but maybe "SAP GREEN" or maybe even "PHTHALO GREEN" ... anyone for a little "CADMIUM YELLOW"????

I've decided I want to own an original Bob Ross painting ... preferably one he did on his show and signed with the little brush and the Bright Red paint!

eBay here I come! ;)

JohnHMCWYG
10-11-2007, 10:54 AM
My brother enjoys "Joy Of Painting" so much that he had several episodes up on his MySpace page for a time. I enjoyed watching it as well. When there was nothing else on, it was cool to watch. I wonder if they still air reruns in the New York area.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Ian
10-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I actually loaded six episodes on my MP3 player to watch on the plane tomorrow.

I figure if that doesn't get me to sleep on a plane, nothing will!

Momof2boys
10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Awwww I used to love watching him ! I always tried to copy him with my set of Crayola watercolor paints - never did have any luck.

I'm off to find some Bob Ross shows online.

martinfamily5
10-11-2007, 12:20 PM
My DD (now 17) watched him all of the time before she started school. They were probably reruns then, but she loved him. She was never much of a cartoon watching kid. She also loved to watch cooking shows. She is rather talented in art.

bleukarma
10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Awww....this thread made me smile! I used to love watching this show with my aunt when I was little! I wonder how much one of his original paintings would cost?!