PDA

View Full Version : Ride Heights: there for a reason!

Imagineer1981
10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I've seen a lot of post lately about parents asking if their children can still get on if they are under the height requirements. The answer is always NO. The height requirements are there above all else to protect the children from injury. Many parents forget this and end up yelling at CMs and Managers because their child is upset, and its not fair to the CMs nor is it fair for the hundreds of guests behind them who are then stuck in line.

So parents, please, measure you child before you go in line, just tell them you want to check their height, don't tell them for what ride so they don't get disappointed. And don't do the lift method when they are getting measured, CMs will tell you to let the child stand flat footed on their own!

cal5755
10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I totally agree here!! I get annoyed when I hear parents getting smart with the cms because their child is to short to ride a ride. My dd8 wanted to do the spinning dinasour coaster at AK but was just a smidge to short. We were discussing it as we headed over to the triceratop spin. I looked at dd and said "Next year I bet you will be just tall enough to go on" Then some woman said to me..."I am not being nosey here but can you believe they wont let the kids on this lame coaster?? We snuck past the first cm's but then they measured again before we got on and turned us away (and said something not so nice)" I was :jaw: that she was saying this to me.. and in front of dd. I was trying to think of a reply to her and DD says to her "mam, they dont let me on to keep me safe. Maybe if I go on now I will fall out under a bar or something. Then my whole trip would be ruined" I just looked at DD and said.. thats right... and took her into the line for the ride.
If my 8 year old can understand height requirements why can't some adults? DD understood it at age 6 when she wanted to do MS but was an inch too short.. we explained then why they do height restrictions and she got it right away.

BTW... I did think that woman WAS being nosey!!

SBETigg
10-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Any time you have to preface a comment with "I'm not being nosy but," or "I don't mean to be nosy," or "no offense, but," chances are you're absolutely being nosy, and you are going to cause offense. But some people feel the need to comment anyway.

I am guilty of the occasional "I couldn't help but overhear," and still I know darn well I'm being nosy. But back to the thread topic... I agree. Why cheat the system or get mad at CMs when it's for your child's safety?

EeyoresBestFriend
10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I sooo agree with you - Thank you for pointing that out and hats off to all CMs for dealing with this.
If you can,try to go when your child or all your children are of a height to get on rides. If you cannot, then don't chew out the CM's because they have to enforce the very smart, and necessary, safety rules. I think there is absolutely no excuse for freaking on the CM's because your child is too small. They are keeping your child safe!! :mickey:
They deserve to be thanked for their diligence or we may not have WDW to go to - the lawsuits would, probably, have bankrupted the company.

Speedy1998
10-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I totally agree with you!!

Just to get on my :soapbox: my other pet peeve is people who ignore the medical warnings heart, high blood presure, back, and especially pregnancy. Those warnings are there for a reason too!

bcornette
10-09-2007, 07:20 PM
I read and responded to those same posts earlier and think you are being way to critical and opinionated of the people that posted them.
The first woman wanted to know if Disney had the same height requirements as another park she had been to, where if accompanied by an adult the height requirement was shorter and any rides.

Height requirements are normally only safety related when there is some sort of restraining device (lap bar, pull down restraint, etc) so lets not burn people at the stake that would like their 39.75in tall kid to enjoy splah mountain.

Splash Mountains height requirement has nothing to do with safety, if anything a short chubby kid is better off than a skinny 40in kid.
Splash Mountain is a perfect example of a ride that could have a lower requirement if a responsible adult was riding with them. I think the height requirement on it is just to make sure they get a good picture to try to sell you at the end.
On the other hand I don't see how EE has the same height requirement as Space Mountain.

I agree with the fact that the CMs are just doing their jobs and should not have to listen to anyone complain; and that some rides need taller requirements in my opinion.

But by starting posts to talk down to people that are just looking for answers is not fair, nice, or mature.

Now my last statement, if you don't have kids and have never had to look them in the eye and tell them they are just a half inch to short - keep your opinion to yourself because you don't know what it's like and have no right to give any parenting related tips.

Thank you and have a nice day

llamaface
10-09-2007, 08:18 PM
if you don't have kids and have never had to look them in the eye and tell them they are just a half inch to short - keep your opinion to yourself because you don't know what it's like and have no right to give any parenting related tips.

I have 3 children, all who are on the short side. My 11 yr old finally reached 54" this year. I have told them (and
'had to look them in the eye" quite a number of times) that the height restrictions are there for their safety. Guess what, they survived. There were no tantrums thrown and every year they look forward to seeing if they have made the cutoff yet!
I find it ridiculous and irresponsible to insinuate that a ride has height restrictions just to make an extra buck at the end!

bcornette
10-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I am not referring to you if you have children. I just hate when people without children give their parenting tips. This whole thread was started because someone got sick of someone asking about different ride height requirements for with parents vs without parents. No one was complaining about the height restrictions, just asking a question to prepare for the trip.

The statement about the height restriction based on the picture was a joke because I don't understand why Splash Mountain has 40in height requirement. Can you give me one? There is no restrain or sudden jerking, just a couple not very fast drops.

My daughter is 40in and eventhough she is tall enough to ride Big Thunder Mountain, Test Track and Space mountain (I think)I did not let her because I was not confortable with her riding it.

The ride restrictions for rides with restraints, where the restraints are not effective until a certain height is necessary is justified.

wedway76
10-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I assume if there is a height limit of 48” there must be a reason. I couldn’t imagine ever putting my child’s safety on the line. If I think my child is close to the cut off point I would want him measured to make sure he is tall enough, and if he’s not, I won’t let him ride.

Oh and I have NEVER had ANY prpoblem looking my son in the eye and telling him he can't do something because his size or age makes it unsafe! If your 6 year old wants to drive your car you would let him?!!!!

Imagine having to look into those same eyes if he or she does get hurt (or worse) and explain why you let them ride.

mainemajor
10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I read and responded to those same posts earlier and think you are being way to critical and opinionated of the people that posted them.
The first woman wanted to know if Disney had the same height requirements as another park she had been to, where if accompanied by an adult the height requirement was shorter and any rides.

Height requirements are normally only safety related when there is some sort of restraining device (lap bar, pull down restraint, etc) so lets not burn people at the stake that would like their 39.75in tall kid to enjoy splah mountain.

Splash Mountains height requirement has nothing to do with safety, if anything a short chubby kid is better off than a skinny 40in kid.
Splash Mountain is a perfect example of a ride that could have a lower requirement if a responsible adult was riding with them. I think the height requirement on it is just to make sure they get a good picture to try to sell you at the end.
On the other hand I don't see how EE has the same height requirement as Space Mountain.

I agree with the fact that the CMs are just doing their jobs and should not have to listen to anyone complain; and that some rides need taller requirements in my opinion.

But by starting posts to talk down to people that are just looking for answers is not fair, nice, or mature.

Now my last statement, if you don't have kids and have never had to look them in the eye and tell them they are just a half inch to short - keep your opinion to yourself because you don't know what it's like and have no right to give any parenting related tips.

Thank you and have a nice day

I have kids. They are now grown. Before we ever went to Disney we knew the hight requirements for all the rides and therefor knew which ones our children were not tall enough to ride on. We included them in the planning process and they knew what they were not going to ride on. This was just one more way we used to teach our children about rules and the importance of obeying them We chose not to use the child swap, opting to enjoy rides that we as a family could all enjoy. This was just one more way we could whet their appitite for our next trip when more rides would be available.
Sorry if my rant offends anyone, but rules are part of life and obeying them as well.
Disney is for having fun, ideally with family:mickey:

CU Tiger
10-09-2007, 09:07 PM
There are two parts to this.
First, DW has a reason for these limits and it usually comes from the ride designers more than just DW making up an arbitrary number. This is about safety, not money. If a child was hurt on a ride because they were under the minimum height, DW would be criticized all over this site for letting them ride or that the minimum height is too tall. Look at the people ignoring the heart warnings and having issues on the hard core rides. They say DW should not have rides that are like this.:shake:
Second, it is preparation. My children knew before each trip what rides they were and were not going to be able to ride.
The CMs are just doing their job. :mickey:

teambricker04
10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I was trying to think of a reply to her and DD says to her "mam, they dont let me on to keep me safe. Maybe if I go on now I will fall out under a bar or something. Then my whole trip would be ruined" I just looked at DD and said.. thats right... and took her into the line for the ride.
If my 8 year old can understand height requirements why can't some adults?

BTW... I did think that woman WAS being nosey!!

What a smart daughter you have!!!

Agreed... Nosey!

I figure that I put my kids in carseats, why would I push it on a ride? Even if my child is .5" too short, I have NO problem looking either of them straigh in the eye and saying no. I would rather say no than someone get seriously hurt.

Not being able to say no is a whole other thread completly.

pixiesmimi
10-09-2007, 11:33 PM
It would be those people like the "nosy woman" that would immediately try to sue WDW for something that happened to her child on a ride that she managed to sneak her by the height restrictions. The ones that try to break the rules or see no reason for them are the ones that holler the loudest when something goes wrong. We strictly adhere to the height restrictions even though my DH keeps saying DGD would be large enough to go on it and would enjoy it. Then again he is the one who snoozes when he is supposed to be watching them.:) I have to remind him the rules are there for a reason or they wouldn't have them there.

irish1967
10-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I've seen a lot of post lately about parents asking if their children can still get on if they are under the height requirements. The answer is always NO. The height requirements are there above all else to protect the children from injury. Many parents forget this and end up yelling at CMs and Managers because their child is upset, and its not fair to the CMs nor is it fair for the hundreds of guests behind them who are then stuck in line.

So parents, please, measure you child before you go in line, just tell them you want to check their height, don't tell them for what ride so they don't get disappointed. And don't do the lift method when they are getting measured, CMs will tell you to let the child stand flat footed on their own!

Imagineer - thanks for posting this. This question certainly does cycle through this board quite often and as a former CM for Space Mountain you are certainly qualified to address the issue and give advice as well.

Unfortunately, I would imagine that most of the people who do get angry at the CMs measuring the children in line aren't regular Intercot posters and it will continue to happen but at least on this board, those who come to ask the question (there really is no harm is asking!) are able to learn not only that the restriction is hard and fast, but also why it is in place.

crltkcagle
10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
cheese and rice already. those height requirements are there for a reason. If they were lowered then some people would be bringing their infants and babies on rides that would scare the heck out of them. We saw two parents one carrying a newborn and another carrying a baby (who was probably no more than 1 1/2 ) fighting because they wanted to ride soarin with their kids. Some parents don't get the fact that to a child these rides can be very scary. Can you see a baby going down splash mountain? Disney does this for safety reasons and I think it's terrible that parents fight with the cm's when they are just trying to keep you safe.

mermaidmarian
10-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, I would imagine that most of the people who do get angry at the CMs measuring the children in line aren't regular Intercot posters and it will continue to happen but at least on this board, those who come to ask the question (there really is no harm is asking!) are able to learn not only that the restriction is hard and fast, but also why it is in place.

I agree, Irish. Intercot is a fine place for people to ask about all things to expect when visiting WDW, including the rationale for and the enforcement of height restrictions. Because there are certainly theme and amusement parks elsewhere in the country with more lax regulations - this is bound to come up.

I defer to the expertise of the designers who create these rides and the safety and insurance experts who set the guidelines and rules for riders; and as I have expertise in none of these areas, I could not imagine arguing about whether the rules were just/appropriate or if a member of my group could be an exception.

I have been in the unenviable position of telling my DS that he was unable to ride due to the height restriction. (This was an example that I have relayed in the Water Parks Folder; my son rejoiced at making the 48 inch cut off one year. During that trip, we went to TL and managed to get all the way to the top of the loading area at CnG, which has a height restriction of 48 inches. Little did we realize in advance, DS, now barefoot, at the final height check did not make the height restriction. We had to walk all the way back down, trying to keep a stiff upper lip.) It is a disappointment when your child is right on the edge (or when the choice of a different pair of footwear from one day to the next makes all the difference in the world), but preparing your child in advance by showing your own respect for the rules and your own understanding and agreement with them, can make it a bit easier.

Finally, IMO, rules are always easier to accept when they are enforced uniformly and without exception. I am very happy that WDW remains consistent in this regard - I wouldn't have it any other way.

mcjaco
10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
I defer to the expertise of the designers who create these rides and the safety and insurance experts who set the guidelines and rules for riders; and as I have expertise in none of these areas, I could not imagine arguing about whether the rules were just/appropriate or if a member of my group could be an exception.

Exactly. Let's not forget that Disney does not often set the height requirements. The state of Florida (or California), and/or the ride manufacturer do. Obviously, there's some reason why they feel 40" is the requirement for SM. I don't argue with it, as it's probably got good reasoning behind it.

#1donaldfan
10-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I totally agree.....kids first......no exceptions.....why try to risk it.....

Disney Doll
10-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I especially agree with the measure ahead of time rule. We always do and so we know before we even get there what rides are out. Last year I saw a little boy being turned away from Splash Mountain. He cried and his dad was irritated that the CM didn't let the boy on. I can see how it is a huge let down to a kid to be turned away from a ride. That's why the parents should be proactive and measure ahead of time.

AXOAlum
10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
I still keep wishing they would make a "height check" station at City Hall (or the respective locations at each park) where on-the-border kids of all heights could get measured ONCE by ONE CM and given an appropriate color-coded wrist band so that at each ride, all the CM has to do is look at the band and know whether or not the child can ride. Yes - there are ways around this, and I wouldn't mind a "re-check" at rides if the CM feels there is something weird going on, but for us we always get pulled out of line only to prove that DS is indeed tall enough for each ride we go on. Of course I am a responsible parent who does pay strict attention to height requirements, and I'm just crazy enough to expect others to do the same :mickey:

SBETigg
10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I still keep wishing they would make a "height check" station at City Hall (or the respective locations at each park) where on-the-border kids of all heights could get measured ONCE by ONE CM and given an appropriate color-coded wrist band so that at each ride, all the CM has to do is look at the band and know whether or not the child can ride. Yes - there are ways around this, and I wouldn't mind a "re-check" at rides if the CM feels there is something weird going on, but for us we always get pulled out of line only to prove that DS is indeed tall enough for each ride we go on. Of course I am a responsible parent who does pay strict attention to height requirements, and I'm just crazy enough to expect others to do the same :mickey:

It could be that it's too easy to cheat the system that way. Those colored bands slip off wrists really easily, and they can also be altered and reattached. It would be possible to measure an older child and then give the band to a younger one. It sounds bad, but you know there are always people willing to cheat, even with safety at risk. Disney can't take that kind of chance with liability issues at stake. Better to measure at each ride.

AbeeNormal
10-10-2007, 01:57 PM
I totally agree.....kids first......no exceptions.....why try to risk it.....

:ditto:Couldn't have said it better myself. :exactly:

Marker
10-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Since when do we need to have permission to voice an opinion?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and should feel free to voice it. Granted, people my disagree, but to demand that people "keep your opinion to yourself" is just not the way things are normally done.

I understand that the viewpoint of a parent is different than that of someone without kids, however, having kids does not equate to being a parenting expert. LIkewise, not having kids does not mean someone if void of any relavent thoughts.

I welcome ANYONE to disagree with anything I say, but don't tell me I don't have the right to speak that opinion. And don't assume that anyone is automatically ignorant of a subject because they don't have kids of their own.

Sorry for the rant. If my comments are inappropriate please delete them. But in my mind it needed said.

vamaggie
10-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I too believe that it is a safety issue and like it or not, some people need some help in keeping their kids safe (I can't believe what I see some parents letting kids do!!!) I know this is a hot topic and some people may disagree but the way I see it is:
1) Disney is a private company and can make any "rules" it wants. (for safety, for profit, for fun, whatever)
2) Rules (unless they are harmful/dangerous)need to be followed (regardless of whether we agree with them or not)
3) if you don't like the rules, don't go!

If folks just thought of it this way there may be less problems with gripes about height restrictions, room occupancy limits, refillable mug cheaters etc. Just my :twocents:

Marker
10-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Seems to me, as has already been said, the primary reason for the height restrictions is safety. Whether dictated by the ride designers, or by the insurance complany, or by Disney, they are there to ensure that as few people as possible are injured.

To argue that "but he's just barely under the limit" really makes no difference. The line has to be drawn somewhere. If the make an exception for one person, what about everyone else who is "just barely" short. And if they make exceptions to the rule, then it's not really a rule.

To me, the bottom line is, it's their house, and they have the right to set the rules regardless of the reason. And as guests, it's our job to respect those rules.

I wonder, if the true problem comes from the disappointment of the kids, or from the adults. My vote would be that the adults have a harder time dealing with the rules than the kids do, after all, the kids have to learn it some where.

edit : Wow, turns out I almost echoed the post before this one, but honest, it wasn't there when I started typing. Guess "great" minds think alike. :high5:

illini
10-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Well, I bet anyone who posted a question about a height requirement lately is feeling about 2" tall right now.

I went back and looked at some recent posts about height requirements. I didn't see any asking how to get on if they don't meet the height requirement. I saw one asking if there is sometimes a different height requirement if accompanied by an adult. The poster was clearly not trying to circumvent the rules, although some responses sure seemed to act like it. I saw another asking when in line the height requirement was checked. Certainly reasonable to ask that-- who wants to wait for 60+ minutes just to get turned away?

Intercot won't allow posts about breaking the rules, so I highly doubt anyone has asked, "How can I get my kid on a ride if he doesn't meet the height requirement?"

Everybody needs to take a deep breath and relax. Read the posts about height requirements for what they are: Not an attempt to circumvent the rules, but a genuine question about how the system works.

I'm sure there's an occasional exception to that, but the vast majority of posters here are just looking for some info and have the best intentions. I doubt they want to be scolded. Surely everyone knows that the height restrictions are in place for safety reasons.

Roger Rabbit 89
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
The only problem we had was my fault. I forgot what the restriction was on the Primeval Whirl. DD and I walked up, they measured her and she was a smidgen short, and I mean just barely missing. CM looked at DD at told her very nicely that she wasn't tall enough and that she was very sorry. I told them that it was all right, we would just find something we could ride. We thanked them, told them to have a nice day and we moved on to the Triceratops. DD was a little heart broken, but I told her we would have to do it next time. She smiled said OK, and the day went on.

Michael

Disneypixie513
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm glad CM enforce the ride retrictions. They don't do it to be mean but to protect children. I've never had an expirience where me or my sister was too short nor have we ever seen a scene where a child was too short. Why risk your child's safety by arguing with a CM on whether he(or she) tall enough? Why would any parent want to put their child's safety in jepordy..I'm not a parent but I would never want to endanger my child.
(this is my opinion and i'm sorry if anyone takes offence to it..)

Stickey
10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I commend all of the CM's that enforce the minimum height requirements. Disney must set standards that both maximize guest safety and protect the company against lawsuits. There are too many people that believe that these requirements do not apply to them and that only their family is entitled to receive special attention and privileges.

Common sense, intelligence, the ability to understand the difference between right and wrong, and interest in a topic all QUALIFY an individual to comment on an issue.

luvourtwo
10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks to all who are defending my earlier post (I am the one who asked if there were different height requirements when riding with an adult on Splash Mountain). As was stated, I was not trying to place my children in danger by getting around the rules, I just was trying to plan ahead for what rides we could enjoy together.

irish1967
10-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I think people are starting to read between the lines in some of these posts.

I believe that the intention of the original poster was simply to provide information to people who post here and offer a suggestion as a former CM on how to keep children from being disappointed. He/She certainly didn't accuse of any posters of trying to circumvent the system.

luvourtwo I'm sorry that you felt that your post needed defending - I hope what I posted in this thread didn't make you feel that way - I think your question was perfectly valid and I certainly never felt that you were trying to find a way to circumvent the rules - you were looking for clarification on how things work.

The problem is that most of us have had the "pleasure" of watching a parent become angry at a CM who is enforcing the rules. Many people relate those experiences when these types of questions come up - it doesn't mean that those posting are accusing the original poster of planning to do the same thing!

cal5755
10-10-2007, 10:29 PM
I think people are starting to read between the lines in some of these posts.

I believe that the intention of the original poster was simply to provide information to people who post here and offer a suggestion as a former CM on how to keep children from being disappointed. He/She certainly didn't accuse of any posters of trying to circumvent the system.

luvourtwo I'm sorry that you felt that your post needed defending - I hope what I posted in this thread didn't make you feel that way - I think your question was perfectly valid and I certainly never felt that you were trying to find a way to circumvent the rules - you were looking for clarification on how things work.

The problem is that most of us have had the "pleasure" of watching a parent become angry at a CM who is enforcing the rules. Many people relate those experiences when these types of questions come up - it doesn't mean that those posting are accusing the original poster of planning to do the same thing!

EXACTLY -- my post was not at all meant for anyone on intercot inquiring about height restrictions. My post was simply about a woman I saw and heard in Animal Kingdom who was less than nice about the height restrictions. I believe the OP was stating a frustration with what is seen IN the parks and not speaking of what is asked here on the boards. We all know questions are asked to make the most magical vacations for our children as we possibly can.

bcornette
10-11-2007, 09:15 AM
None of my posts were complaints about the height restrictions or CMs, But I do feel that the post was directly related to luvourtwo's post. The post was put up very soon after luvourtwo's question, the poster had responded in a short not mean but not nice way to the original luvourtwo's question and the title along with the first sentence show that it is linked.

I've seen a lot of post lately about parents asking if their children can still get on if they are under the height requirements. The answer is always NO.

As we can all see also is that the original poster hasn't resonded once. Just everyone else getting all fired up. Hey if I said something that offended anyone, sorry, but I am going to defend the innocent and try to make sure they don't feel out of place, insecure or not welcome. Defending others is one of the reasons I joined the military.

Figgyluv03
10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Having worked both at Disney and in an amusement park most of my life, I have come across many rude people because their childen aren't tall enough to ride the rides. The height restrictions are there for a reason and they are not set by the parks themselves. People don't realized it, but these restrictions are set up by the goverment. That's right, someone from the state sets them up, so please don't complain to employees or CMs, 'cause they really don't want to hear it nor can they do anything about it, but tell you to come back when your kid is tall enough.

Now, on the other defense, there are certain rides in our park that if a child is too small to ride alone, then a parent or guardian can ride along with them. Example, the carosel, balloon ride & the lazy river (but they must sit in the parents lap and have a lifejacket on).

So, if you aren't sure about a ride, then just ask. It never hurts, but please don't get all crazy and rude with the employee or CM says no.