PDA

View Full Version : opinions about when to go

elizabeth turner
10-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Hello,
I need some opinions about a possible trip. We are planning on a mother/daughters trip and were thinking of going in Nov/Dec. 2008. The problem with that is that my oldest will be a freshman in college and this will be about the same time as finals. So then I had the bright idea to go this Jan 2008. This would be a last minute trip for me. I usually plan for about a year before we go. I want to know what experiences you have had with going in Jan (2nd week) and if your college age student ever missed for a Disney vacation-just in case we go with the original plan.

Marker
10-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Just my opinion going during finals is probably not a good time for a college student to go.

A lot of the decision on when is best to go depends on you. Questions such as your tollerance for heat & humidity, your tolerance for crowds will be vital to choosing a time that best suits your needs.

Also, park hours are longer in some seasons, and shorter in others. Fireworks, parades and shows are often not as frequent during some seasons. Attraction closures are perhaps more likely duing off seasons.

Me personally, I often choose (especially last minute trips) base on the ability to find a good airfare. There have been multiple occasions where I spot a good airfare, which causes my mind to kick in and say "hmmmm", and before you know it, I'm booked.

As an example, during the travel slow down immediately following 9/11, saw a fare that allowed me to go for $72 roundtrip, and the dates included were right on my anniversary. I booked immediately, 2 people for a grand total of $144. I booked before I even asked my wife, I didn't even know for sure if we were going to WDW, or to the beach or what. I just called her and said "We're going to Florida". Just couldn't pass up a fare like that, and naturally, we ended up at WDW for our anniversary.

So, consider the variable, but regardless, whenever you go you'll have a great time.

Kenny1113
10-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Jan is a really nice time to go. The weather is cooler, crowds are lighter etc. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe most colleges start back the 2nd week of Jan. If you are planning on MLK weekend I cannot speak for crowds then, as I have never been durning that time.

ThanxForNoticin
10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
We've been dealing with this exact situation. I would recommend a couple possibilities. Most colleges will have their finals week planned well in advance. Theoretically, you can plan for your child having a final on the very last day and then work your December plans from that date. But if the finals run until the week of 12/16 or later, you'll probably be heading into a much busier time with the crowds. That leaves option 2, which is to go in January, between New Year's and the start of spring semester. That time of year is nice at Disney. The weather is usually pretty nice (but you can't rule out a colder snap), and the crowds are lighter. I think the first weekend in January is marathon weekend, so it will be a little busier, but nothing like the busiest times. Option 3 (which my kids refuse to do) is go in the busier and hotter summer. They would prefer early January. Good luck with your plans, but don't hesitate to go. Scheduling Disney time with your kids during college is one thing - after college when they have a job and responsibilities and little vacation, it gets even tougher! Have fun.