PDA

View Full Version : yet another stroller question

aurora, ariel, and bell
10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
We are planning on going to Disney with my daugher, her husband and their three girls which will JUST have turned 2,3,and 4. we were thinking of bringing a single umbrella stroller and two more that we can clip together. That way if we split up we can each take a stroller or take two with one person (gives us more flexibility).
I have seen alot of people recommending renting, but my concern is the trek to the buses and back to the hotel after a long day at the park the kids will probably fall asleep and i though it would be easier to have the stroller instead of carrrying them when we are all tired.
Will the umbrella work for a sleeping child? we are not going until next September and I know from this year it is HOT.
Please give me any suggestions that will assist us with the kids. I am soooo excited to experience Disney with the kids I can hardly wait!

Thanks

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-08-2007, 05:37 PM
This is always a tricky one...we went with DD 5 and rented a stroller, since we figured she was getting a little big for her old umbrella one.

We used the stoller for her, when she was tired, as well as for all of our bags and packages, so for us, renting worked better.

Umbrella strollers are so easy, they fold right up on the bus, and are light to manage. I know that DD slept in an umbrulla stroller (ours had a little canopy on the top, so it would keep some of the sun off her. If your little ones can sleep in an umbrella, it sounds like it is the better answer for you.

goofiecrazy
10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Disney strollers are the hard plastic and not very comfy.You are better off bringing the 3 umbrella strollers with you. That way u have them when u get on and off the bus and walking to ur rooms.They will be a lot easier to fold up then a regular.

vamaggie
10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I would bring the umbrelllas for all the reasons you mentioned. If you find that they will not sleep in the umbrellas (and you really want them to vs going back to the resort to nap) you could always try renting one for a day and see how that works.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
I have taken 2 plain (Wal-mart) umbrella strollers with the clips to WDW before. The clips make the 2 strollers stay together but there is still some movement between the two, meaning they still move independently a little. They are not tightly attached, so it makes them somewhat hard to push. I had to keep my hands on the outside handle of each stroller. That would be impossible with 3.

Of course your clips could have been better than the ones I had. In any case the plain umbrella strollers are hard to push all day in WDW. The handles are uncomfortable to push for long periods and the wheels are too small to make it roll as easily as other strollers.

If you have some more upscale umbrella strollers, they may work much better.

Or you could bring a big, nice, heavy duty stroller for them all, if you have one.

On subsequent trips we rented strollers and made sure we brought a towel from the room to lay in the bottom of the stroller to make the seat softer, for rain, chill, etc.

The trip to and from the bus stops and parking lots aren't that long. I was so used to carrying my youngest that I probably could have toted her around for a whole trip!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I am for bringing the umbrella strollers from home for all of the reasons you mentioned. The hike to the bus can be long with a sleepy toddler, especially after fireworks, etc, when the bus lines are longer. We always go in September and the heat is bad. Enough to be very uncomfortable holding a sleepy child for long.
The 3 and 4 year olds should be fine sleeping in an umbrella stroller. I would be a little concerned with the two year old getting comfy enough. Maybe try it out before you go. They do have affordable umbrella strollers that recline. I would get one that reclines and swap it out for however is sleeping. The other two can ride in the regular umbrella stroller. The reclining ones are a little more stable so that would help with holding bags too. The lighter ones can tip as soon as you take the child out if you have bags on the handles. I just put my bag in the stroller seat whenever I leave it for long so that might not be an issue for you.

Have a great trip!!

Von-Drake
10-10-2007, 07:59 AM
A few years ago, we purchased an McLaren umbrella stroller and it was one of the best investment we ever made for our son's transportation. He also had a bigger stroller, but what a pain that was to fold up and put on the buses, monrails, etc... The umbrella stroller is definitely more convenient. Our son has been known to fall asleep in the stroller, if he is really, really tired. So it definitely works for us.

peemagg
10-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Our upcoming trip in January, we are taking 3 kids. They are ages 13 months, 13 months, and 2.5 years. We are taking 3 Combi strollers that fold up small like a umbrella stroller, but recline and have some great padding in it too. The children seem to love being in them. I got them all on e-bay for a very small price.

Jasper
10-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Add me to the list of those saying that an umbrella stroller is the right way to go!! When children of the ages you mentioned get tired they will sleep anyplace; including in an umbrella stroller. As any experienced parent can tell you kids are limber and don’t mind sleeping in situations and positions that might bother you and I.

tys_mommy
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree with taking your own stroller from home as the kids will probably be used to them and be more comfortable. But remember that when boarding the busses you are supposed to remove the children from their strollers and fold them up so they don't take up as much space - as in you will still have to disturb a sleeping little one.

Disney Baby
10-13-2007, 05:32 AM
I would recommend taking your own. We are taking a Maclaren Twin Triumph and a Maclaren Triumph with us for our 3 DDs. If you haven't purchased strollers yet - I would look into Maclarens because they are lightweight and durable. Although they are pricey, they are well worth it. Pushing them through the airport all the way to the gate makes it worth it!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Definitely make sure the umbrella strollers are easy to stear. The one we brought was a nightmare, it was a cheap Walmart one.
But I too say bring your own strollers. Getting to and from your room to the bus stop and into the parks can be quite a hike from the busses etc.

1EeyoreFan
10-15-2007, 07:14 PM
We were there in Sept. and we were having issues with my DD's (age 2) stroller. One of the wheels broke. We purchased one of the strollers offered in the gift store. I think it was $40. I love that stroller! It is an umbrella style but has a drink holder and it reclines. It also had a small shade. No basket though-just a bag that is attached to the back. We are still using it to this day!

Disney Doll
10-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I love umbrella strollers and would use nothing else. Some of the better umbrellas recline. I'd recommend looking for a reclining umbrella if you are concerned about the kids sleeping in the stroller. However, be prepared for the fact that the older kids may not want to ride in a stroller. We took a 3 yr old who went a whole week at Disney without a stroller. She did great.