PDA

View Full Version : Rose and Crown review

TBY2225
10-08-2007, 04:33 PM
We ate dinner at Rose & Crown in the UK pavilion in Epcot on Tuesday 9-25-07. We were on the dining plan and had ADR’s for 7:30pm. We had hoped to either have an outside table or to be able to watch illuminations from the observation area. We arrived about 7:20 and were seated shortly after 7:30. We saw a lot of people walk up and ask about reservations. They were all turned away and were told that they were fully booked all evening. We ended up at a table inside. Here also the tables were too close together, but the place was lively and had a very homey feel. The staff was very friendly, and they all seemed to help each other when needed. DD and I ordered tea to drink and DH got a diet coke and a black and tan. He really enjoyed the black and tan. I tasted it, but I don’t care for beer and I didn’t like it at all! For our appetizers I ordered a new dish on their menu. It was a puff pastry with mushrooms in sauce and it had a lot of fresh dill and other herbs on top. It was good, but had a little too much garlic, and I love garlic so it had to be a little strong! DH got the cheese tray and he really enjoyed it. I tried a few of the cheeses and I thought they were on the strong side, but DH loves that kind of cheese so he really enjoyed it. DS ate all the fruit that was on the cheese tray and DD got the carrots with ranch. For our entrees we all ordered Bangers and Mash. We thought about ordering the steak and fish, but we had heard, from a few of the WDW podcasts we listen to, that the steak was a cheap cut and wasn’t that good. I am glad we got the Bangers and Mash because they were so good! It was one of our favorite dishes of the trip! The sausages were seasoned perfectly and I loved the potatoes! There was also some cabbage on top and that was really good as well. The cabbage tasted like it was cooked in apple cider similar to German red cabbage. My DD loved it so much that she cleaned her plate and asked for some of mine – this was her favorite meal of the week. She wants me to learn how to make it at home. For dessert I ordered the Bailey’s trifle and it was divine – one of the best desserts of the trip as well. You could taste the Baileys and the chocolate was YUMMY! DH got the Guinness torte and it was good as well. His favorite part was the cherries soaked in Guinness. He said it gave the cherries a very interesting flavor. DD got the sundaes but she didn’t eat but a bite. She was too excited because our server had asked her to help start Illuminations! We got to go outside to the table in the center of the outside porch. DD got to stand on a chair and wave a Mickey wand and “help” start illuminations! It was so sweet and magical! She loved it and really thought she had started the fireworks. She also got a certificate signed by the CMs at Rose & Crown and she was very proud of it! Everyone came up and thanked her for her great job!

The main reason we went here was because of the great information I had read about watching Illuminations from the outside deck. We would return for that, but also because the food, and staff. The over all experience was wonderful – we truly enjoyed it! I also liked the fact that we were able to time it just right to finish dessert right before the fireworks so we could leave as soon as they were over. DH mentioned one word of warning to those readers who may be lucky enough to dine on the deck while watching Illuminations. After the fireworks DH noticed that the remnants of the pyrotechnics were “raining down” on the deck. That meant if you had an exposed dinner plate, your meal would now be interspersed with spent fireworks. Perhaps it’s not a big deal, but its something to consider. If we had paid OOP $ 87.64. The Black and tan plus tip was $ 9.34 OOP

disneydrmr
10-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm always interested to read reviews of the Rose and Crown cause of my experience at the place back in December... glad you had such a good meal! I almost got the Bangers and Mash when I went but opted for the Fish and Chips... after reading our review I wish I would've gone for it! Oh well, maybe next time! Thanks for sharing!

Mnchknbrat1982
10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
we plan to eat here next trip!

mouseaddict
10-08-2007, 10:01 PM
This is our favorite TS! Love everything here..and we loved the steak. Cheap cut or not..it was delicious! The stewed mushrooms are an awesome appetizer...and the cheese plate is delectable! I love the sticky toffee pudding for desert...oooohhhh.I want to go today!

McGoofy
10-08-2007, 10:58 PM
This post just made me very hungry! Our family loves the Rose & Crown. We try to eat there whenever we go. I love being there for Illuminations. You are very right about the fireworks ash warning. If the wind is blowing just right, you will get lots of smoke, ash, firework debris, etc... all over you. I'm not so sure I would want to have my dinner plate exposed to all of that. Congrats on the magical moment for your DD! That must have been so much fun!:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
10-08-2007, 11:19 PM
My DH and I really enjoyed this restaurant. He had a black and tan and I tried the half and half. I love Guiness so I can't complain about the drinks. He had the leek soup and I had the cheese plate. Both were excellent. The cheeses were delicious and it was a huge appetizer. For dinner with both had the steak and fish. Our steaks were cooked perfectly. The service was great too. Our server was helpful and friendly. At the end of our meal she presented us with a Happy Anniversary reward that was signed by the entire staff along with a tink light-up clip for me and a capt. hook for my DH to wear durning illuminations. I would definitely return to this restaurant again.:number1:

Polynesian Dweller
10-08-2007, 11:39 PM
This review makes it sound that things may have improved at R&C in the last couple of years and perhaps we should try it again. This restaurant is about the only restaurant that has really disappointed us in the past with some of the worst food and service we've had anywhere. We had given up on the place.

Le Cellier years ago had become rather poor, was close to being closed permanently but were given a change of focus and they managed a sensational turnaround. Perhaps its happening here at the Rose and Crown too. Will be interested in following the reviews.

Disdad13
10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Glad you had such a good experience here. I wish I had tried the Bangers and Mash - I went with the steak and fish and was disappointed in both. I'm so happy DD got to start the fireworks! Last year, they asked our DS (4 at the time) if he would wave the wand and start them, but he decided to be shy and declined. DW and I were totally bummed! You are right about the timing of dinner and viewing of Illuminations. Illuminations is our favorite, and we always get and ADR for around 7:20 or 7:30 and are done right before the show starts.

SBETigg
10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I agree about the Bangers and Mash- really excellent dish and definitely the thing to get at Rose & Crown. I had the steak and fish, and the steak wasn't very good but I did like the fish. The DD got the bangers and mash and we all worked on it. The mushroom appetizer was good, too. I don't know what happened with the garlic on yours but I think it was a fluke. I'm allergic to garlic (not in a bad way, just slight aggravation) and I had no problem with the mushrooms at R & C.

So glad you enjoyed your meal and thanks for the review!

diznedreamin
10-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks so much for the review! I'll be eating there in 53 days! I can't wait, I've never eaten there before. The Bailey's trifle sounds yummy!

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-12-2007, 10:45 AM
We love R&C, great food, awesome service!

We had a bit of an issue with the "fall-out" from the fireworks, but they brought me a whole new plate (I'd eaten half already) without a question...so DH got to share some of my meal too!

We have never had servers as friendly as R&C...a must do for us each trip :thumbsup:

January-2007
10-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for sharing, that cabbage sounds yummy!

MouseHouser
10-13-2007, 07:41 AM
We love R&C too. For us it's a package: British Invasion, a Stout at the Bar, dinner overlooking the Pond, and IllumiNations.

We always found the fish & chips to be good, but didn't think much of the rest of the menu, and that was okay. Last trip we both went for the Steak and Fish dinner. This time we were impressed, even with our steaks.

We spoke to the sous chef, who happened to be circulating around. We learned she formerly worked at several restaurants at the Grand Floridian. She explained our cut of beef is known as chef's cut, a combination sirloin/fillet. It was on par with, if not better than, my NY sirloin at Le Cel and our Chateaubriand at Yachtsman's. I kid you not.

I'm not sure where else one finds dining experiences that compare with Disney's best.