PDA

View Full Version : Cantina San Angel warning!

BelleLovesTheBeast
10-08-2007, 01:31 AM
I got back late last Mon from Disney. On the Friday before I ate at the Cantina and later in the day visited the first aid center. I ended up with food poisoning and needless to say was sick through Sunday. I couldn't eat anything for 3 days. It ruined the end of our trip. We were on the DDP and I couldn't use any of my credits those days and ended up having to use 10 snacks, 6 counter services on the last day.

Rodders
10-08-2007, 06:39 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope that you are feeling a lot better now. It's such a shame when a time so magical is ruined by illness.

I hope you don't mind me asking but do you know for sure that it was the food from the Cantina? I'm not doubting your word, just respectfully wondering how you came to the conclusion that is was there rather than food you had before that.

If you are still unwell, Get well soon :magic::pixie:

Jenemmy
10-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Ugh -- food poisoning is some nasty stuff. I remember having it while I was pregnant -- not fun at all. It can really take a toll on you. I suppose it can happen anywhere, but I am so sorry it happened to you during vacation!!:ill:

Darbylew
10-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Sorry to hear that you were sick. Hope you are
all better now. It is tough to be sick anytime.

KarenP
10-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Sorry this happened to you. Hope you are feeling better!

mousetrapper
10-08-2007, 09:14 AM
My younger DD also got food poisoning from something she ate at San Angel, but it was back in 2001. It was during the Food & Wine Festival, and we all got food from the Mexico stand (I assume the food was made at San Angel). DD ate something different from the rest of us -- I believe it was some sort of quesadilla.

It was only the second day of our week-long stay and I was so worried she'd be sick the entire time. Thankfully, she "got it out of her system" and was better within one day.

disneymom15
10-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better. The same thing happened to us. About 9 years ago (husband, daughter, daughters friend and myself) we all got sick. First was my husband, next day was daughter and me, following day daughters friend. We kept pushing to eat the fresh melon, thinking that would be the best thing to eat. Turns out the melon was the problem. Learned about it on the news after we got home.

RockinRobin
10-08-2007, 09:30 AM
This happened to me last Feb, but not from there. I spent almost three days in my room thinking I would never get better. It also was at the beginning of our trip so I hardly ate the rest of the week. Everyone went and had a good time while I was in bed. Which I am glad they could do this. I have had food poisoning one other time so I know that was what it was.

TheRustyScupper
10-08-2007, 09:49 AM
1) Without a stool sample, food poisoning cannot be determined.
2) Frequently, people get ill and think it is food poisoning.
3) For food poisoning (typically)
. . . if under 6-hrs, it reacted before you ate it
. . . if after 12-hrs, it reacted in your body
4) Also, others would have to be affected.
5) More frequently, these are unrelated to the food.
6) The most common is a norovirus.
. . . these are what goes crazy on cruise ships
. . . caused by touching something contaminated, like handrails
. . . hand sanitizers can help, but not kill it
. . . soap and water is needed - frequently

NOTE: Unless there were several other illnesses from the same eatery, I can't see where it it can be claimed as food poisoning without a stool sample. With a stool sample, then a case can be made. Otherwise, the claim could besmirch an eatery unjustly.

Tinkerfreak
10-08-2007, 02:25 PM
On our first Disney trip my mother in law got sick from eating mayonaise at Cosmic Rays. I remember her saying that the mayo came out hard, she had used one way on the end, I think that probably the stuff stuck in the pump was not cold and went bad. She was in line for the speedway one minute and the next she was gone!!!!! We will never let her live down her experience, we still tease her about her "Mickey Mayonaise" and we always mail her coupons for Depends undergarments. It is funny now and we always get a laugh thinking about it but it was no fun at the time when she was stuck in the bathroom with no clean clothes.

BelleLovesTheBeast
10-08-2007, 08:41 PM
1) Without a stool sample, food poisoning cannot be determined.
2) Frequently, people get ill and think it is food poisoning.
3) For food poisoning (typically)
. . . if under 6-hrs, it reacted before you ate it
. . . if after 12-hrs, it reacted in your body
4) Also, others would have to be affected.
5) More frequently, these are unrelated to the food.
6) The most common is a norovirus.
. . . these are what goes crazy on cruise ships
. . . caused by touching something contaminated, like handrails
. . . hand sanitizers can help, but not kill it
. . . soap and water is needed - frequently

NOTE: Unless there were several other illnesses from the same eatery, I can't see where it it can be claimed as food poisoning without a stool sample. With a stool sample, then a case can be made. Otherwise, the claim could besmirch an eatery unjustly.

I got sick a few hours after eating there. The last time I had had anything to eat was 20 hours earlier and felt completely fine when I sat down to eat.

The food wasn't kept at the proper temperature. It wasn't even warm and the food should have been hot.

I am a kidney transplant patient so I'm on immune suppressive drugs so I'm more likely to get sick from eating food that is contaminated or not fully cooked. I constantly wash may hands and use hand sanitizers (I went through a bottle of gel and container of wipes on the trip) because of this. I ALWAYS wash my hands and use hand sanitizers before I eat.

I've had food poisoning before and worked in restaurants for over 5 years so I know the difference from food poisoning and a stomache bug. This was definitely food poisoning.

TheRustyScupper
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
. . . I got sick a few hours after eating there . . .

1) Like I said.
2) If under 6-hrs, it was already reacted.

PS - We own 2-restaurants, so we are very careful about food. Plus, even if you wash before meals, if you touch things like hand rails and then tough eyes or nose, and that can be enough to get noroviruses.

BelleLovesTheBeast
10-08-2007, 11:14 PM
"Symptoms of food poisoning depend on the type of contaminant and the amount eaten. The symptoms can develop rapidly, within 30 minutes, or slowly, worsening over days to weeks. Most of the common contaminants cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping. These symptoms usually resolve in two to three days."

I had all 4 of these and it lasted for 3 days.

In addition norovirus causes a fever. I have to take my temp daily.....no fever.

Thanks to everyone who showed concern. I felt better the day I came home and fine the following day. I might have visited every bathroom in the MK and Epcot but I wasn't about to let it completely ruin my trip.

McCloytrio
10-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Yuck! I got food poisoning on Easter Sunday in San Antonio, Texas. I ended up in the hospital by Tuesday and by Friday was well enough to get home, traveling by car almost 10 hours. I lost 17 pounds during 6 days. That is something I hope I never experience again. I was actually ill for weeks, I still can not look at certain foods much less eat them.

prprincess
10-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Something similar happened to my family on our vacation last year. We not sure, though, whether or not it was the food at the Flametree or at Boma. Regardless, we had to cancel several ADRs and were left with a ton of unused credits on our dining plan. Even still, I don't think it would keep me from eating at both places it again. It could happen to anyone, anywhere.