PDA

View Full Version : Paying for it all

JerseyMouse
10-06-2007, 06:22 PM
This November, for the first time myself and DW will not be using traveler's checks as our main form of spending money. We had such a hard time getting change from some of the restaurants, sometimes a manager would have to come over to our table with the change.

We will be using our Bank of Amercia debit card as our main form of currency, along with our Disney Visa, and we will have a little bit of cash for incidentals.

We'll also use our room key, most likely, we've never used it before for charge purposes.

Does this seem to be the way it is there now, does this sound like a good strategy for us??

Would love some opinions.

Thanks,

KylesMom
10-06-2007, 07:06 PM
It sounds like a good plan.

We used to utilize a combination of travelers checks, Disney Dollars and cash. Now we carry a bit of cash, but predominately charge all of our meals, souvenirs, etcetera back to the room. We then pay off the balance at the end of our trip with our Disney Visa card, which gives us a head-start on Rewards Dollars for next year.

It's nice to have the end-of-trip printout with what you spent money on when you charge back to your Key to the World card. It also makes budgeting for us the next year a whole lot easier! :mickey:

Strmchsr
10-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Though I've never experienced any theft, I've always carried minimal cash (less than $20) to the parks and charged everything to our room card. At the end of the trip you can pay off that room card however you would like. I just feel a lot safer leaving my wallet in the room safe and only having to keep up with a tiny bit of cash and the room key.

WheresWalt
10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
We usually do a room key keyed into our credit card at check in and then carry some cash for places that only take that. There are still a few, not many. :mickey:

kim1st
10-06-2007, 08:04 PM
We really liked using the "Key to the World" for our purchases and dining - for all of the reasons stated above.

Have a great trip!

:mickey:

mickey&missy
10-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Using the Key to the World is so much easier!! We used a lot of travelers checks in 2005 and I swear we got looked at funny and people dreaded being online behind us. Last trip we just used the Key to the World and a little bit of cash.

spinnerf
10-06-2007, 08:54 PM
While I always use my room key, I have read that some people will buy disney gift cards for themselves and use that, I think thats a great way to control how much you spend. Just an idea.

kakn7294
10-06-2007, 09:19 PM
We always use only our debit card or cash although we do carry a couple of credit cards to fall back on in an emergency. I've never taken traveler's checks and we've never put a credit card on the room key. Using our debit card works just fine for us.

Bringonthemouse!
10-06-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm all about the travelers cheques and credit cards. Being from Canada, using a debit card is way to much $$ in service charges and I hate carrying cash. We never once had a problem getting change from our travelers cheques ($50. denominations), even for small purchases. Were your cheques higher denominations?

CleveRocks
10-07-2007, 03:06 AM
You can set up a room charge with a credit card, a debit card (with VISA/MC logo), travelers checks, cash, or even Disney Dollars.

I've always done it with my debit card. VERY convenient!