PDA

View Full Version : Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Community?

ariel03
10-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I just watched CBS 3 news and they talked about this syndrome and that not many women are diagnosed correctly and they have it and not know and was wonder if their where any women here on intercot that have been diagnosed with it?
I was after talking with my fertility doctor. :doctor:

beksy
10-05-2007, 08:11 PM
I've been diagnosed with it. I haven't gotten to the part of my life where I would like to have children (but that was definitely something I thought about when I was diagnosed) but have a lot of the other symptoms.

Pirate Granny
10-05-2007, 08:31 PM
What are the symptoms?

:pirate:

Wrigley
10-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I was diagnosed about 2 1/2 years ago. It ended up being very painful. My cysts (at least the larger ones) ended up bursting. Once I was put on medication (femara) it did get better. My DH and I were trying to have kids and were unsuccessful for a year and a half, which was devastating. The Dr. told us after a year of trying that basically it was never going to happen even though I was taking fertility drugs. However, after a year and half of trying we got our miracle and found out that we were pregnant! We now have a wonderful 11 month old! I hope that it all works out for you!

auntie_am
10-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago. Since then my Dr. put me on Glucophage to help lower my insulin level (blood sugar level is fine), it has helped a little - not much. My husband & I have been ttc for several years & last year we were put on Clomid for 6 months with no success. We have not given up though, I believe that the Lord plans on us having a family I just have to accept that it will happen according to his time frame not mine.

I am very lucky to have the Doctor that I have. Unfortunately, there are many women with this condition that are not properly diagnosed. :(

Symptoms can include irregular, painful, heavy periods; unexplained weight gain; anxiety; skin tags; high insulin level (which can cause bouts of hypoglycemia - low blood sugar).

If you'd like more specific info you can send me a PM.

Good Luck.

tinkerbellybutton
10-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm not familiar with PCOS but I was diagnosed with endometriosis, along with the complications from Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. I have had several cysts (some that burst) as well as tumors and battled infertility for years. After 6 years of trying to conceive, 2 operations (one to remove a diseased ovary) and several different medications including Depo Lupron, the doctors decided that the heavy cycles and such were causing more sickness than it was worth and I was scheduled for a hysterectomy. Two weeks before the surgery I was blessed to find out I was pregnant. :yay: The odds of me conceiving were astronomical but it happened ( a gift from above) So when you do get to the point where you're ready to have kids don't get discouraged even if it takes a long time. I finally did have the hysterectomy this past May and feel much better for it.

BTW, What are skin tags? Endometriosis has caused almost all of the same symptoms in me except for the weight gain, I wonder if they are related or if maybe it wasn't endometriosis after all.......

magicofdisney
10-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I've had symptoms of PCOS, but have never been diagnosed. My OB/GYN ran all the tests but nothing could be confirmed. He says it can be difficult to diagnose. Fortunately, our struggles with infertility were not as severe as some who suffer. I completely empathize with anyone dealing with infertility.

murphy1
10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
One of my endocrinlogist's nurse's wife has it, he and I were talking about it a couple of years ago on a phone conversation (I was pg and his wife was, as well, and he told me about her condition). It's a very hard thing to go through. There is a group on Babycenter that has a discussion board that might be helpful to you.
Wishing you the best!

Catwillow
10-11-2007, 07:09 PM
The sad thing about PCOS is that left untreated or undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for years can have devastating effects on your overall health. I have heard it classified as the "why can't I get pregnant syndrome" because that's usually when women find they have this issue.

Want to learn more about it...go to www. pcosupport .org ...

Flower
10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
soulcysters is an excellent PCOS board/forum.
I also subscribe to an online newsletter which offers some good ideas - consult your dr first though, do a search for PCOS Dr Nancy Dunne

Here are 2 books I have:
Pcos by Colette Harris and Adam Carey

The PCOS Diet Book: How You Can Use the Nutritional Approach to Deal with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome by Ann Walker, Colette Harris, and Theresa Francis-Cheung

I just noticed more books on Amamzon, including PCOS for dummies.

I have been diagnosed with PCOS and was on many fertility drugs - we tried over 6 years to get pregnant and had suffered a miscarriage.

After having no luck getting pregnant again we were fortunate to have adopted a wonderful little boy named Brandon - 6 months into the adoption I found out I was pregnant on my own, no drugs. Benjamin is now 11 months old, I would love to have more though!

As far as diagnosis, I think one of the main factors is to see an endocrinologist. They will do fasting blood levels and more tests - one of the things she even looked for was how the hair was growing from my belly button down - a thick hairline is another 'symptom'.

low-glycemic Diet and exercise are ways to really control PCOS and the symptoms (If only I could heed my own words!)

Good luck with everything