PDA

View Full Version : Jet Ski's at Castaway Cay?

moorea
10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
We will be taking a Disney Cruise on the Wonder on June 12th 2008 and this will be our first Disney cruise. I was wondering if Disney's Castaway Cay has jet ski rentals? If so, does anyone know what the age restriction is? Also, how much is the fee? Thanks.

TammiMcMan
10-05-2007, 11:57 PM
I was wondering if Disney's Castaway Cay has jet ski rentals?Yes, but only as part of the Eco Tour. You cannot rent them for private use.
If so, does anyone know what the age restriction is?Age restrictions for the Eco Tour are 18 to drive (16 & 17 with written parental permission) and 8 years old to ride as a passenger.
Also, how much is the fee? Thanks.$160 for the 1 hour tour, includes driver and passenger.

tundramom
10-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Good info to know, thanks Tammi. However, just wondering how jet skis fit into anything with the prefix "eco" on it?

ElenitaB
10-06-2007, 03:07 PM
However, just wondering how jet skis fit into anything with the prefix "eco" on it?
:exactly: I've always wondered that myself!

TammiMcMan
10-06-2007, 08:14 PM
I asked my husband and daughter, they both took the tour. What they told me, is that you board the jet ski's in the water around the boating area. You follow a guide out and around the island, stopping at different points so they can discuss the ecology. You're also taken out quite a distance to a natural sand bar, where you get off the jet skis and explore the sea life in the area.

They both said that there is a guide in the front and in the back. At times, for those who are adventurous, they can get up some speed on the jet skis and have some fun. I would just caution though, that you are in open waters and they saw a number of shark fins.

angedeaile
10-09-2007, 12:25 AM
....They both said that there is a guide in the front and in the back. At times, for those who are adventurous, they can get up some speed on the jet skis and have some fun. I would just caution though, that you are in open waters and they saw a number of shark fins.

I was actually looking into this excursion, since we both haven't ever been on nor driven a jetski and thought it would a be fun idea.

Although....this business about shark fins doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Anyone else ever try this and found sharks a huge concern?

RobWreck
10-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I can't imagine that there's ever been an issue with sharks @ Castaway Cay. Shark attacks are relatively rare to begin with, and if Disney foresaw a possible incident with guests, I'm sure they wouldn't offer the excursion (I'm just getting to the 'Limits on Liability: Foreseeability' section of my Torts class). If not for a concern about financial liability if one of their guests was attacked by a shark :shark:, they wouldn't offer it just because of the PR risk. How would they spin that? "Come on the Disney Cruise, where our guests are almost never eaten by sharks!" ;)
Rob
(Signed up for the eco-tour on my upcoming trip on the Magic... maybe the sharks will leave this law school student alone as a 'professional curtesy'. :waycool: )

Ian
10-20-2007, 09:18 AM
As someone who has spent considerable time owning and operating jet skis and waverunners, I can 100% assure you that there's not a shark out there that can catch up with a motivated human on a jet ski.

Sharks are fast, but they ain't that fast!