PDA

View Full Version : rental car question

EmmMOM2
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
IF you rent a car and you have young children can you RENT carseats? or would you have to fly down your car seats to put in the car??
Just curious as it seems to be a big hassle to do that

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Whenever we have flown, we've always taken our own car seats (and booster seat, when DD got too big for a car seat) down with us.

The car seats can usually be used on the plane, and DD loved it, 'cause then she was high enough to see out of the window, and it is a safer when they are strapped in properly, especially if they fall asleep. (instead of slumping and slipping all over the place).

DD's booster wasn't approved for airlines, so we just checked it with our checked baggage, no issues at all!

I'm sure you can rent them too...it really comes down to what you prefer!

Mickey'sGirl
10-05-2007, 12:45 PM
You can rent them, but it is ridiculously expensive. We fly DS3's car seat down with us -- they bag it and put it in cargo. Absolutely painless. :thumbsup:

vamaggie
10-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I believe most of the rental companies will rent a car seat/booster but it will cost you extra. It may be worth it to take your own and check it if you don't use it on the plane. Also, most booster seats are not approved for air travel (unless they are the kind that convert from car seats to boosters) so they would have to be checked. Even though our DD is 4 and in a booster here at home, she is using a car seat on the plane when we go in Nov. It makes her higher so she can see out the window and it keeps her contained. Plus we then have it for the rental car.

spinnerf
10-05-2007, 01:02 PM
We bought a "travel" car/booster seat from target. It folds in half an comes with a travel bag. We were able to check it at the door of the plane with the stroller, it didnt count as a checked bag that way.

KylesMom
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
When DS was younger, we too always brought our car seat on the plane and installed into the rental car. I have read reports here on Intercot over the years of the condition the rental car seats - and it would make your skin crawl, knowing you had to put your child in it! Yes, it took a bit more time to get on the road, but it was well worth the extra 15 minutes to install our own. :mickey:

DisneyTwinsMommy
10-05-2007, 03:07 PM
While I have been planning our May 08 trip, i looked into renting car seats... (we need two, so i thought it would be a pain to bring them)... Most of the car rental places that I looked at wanted $50.00 per car seat per week!?!?! My boys car seats were only $70.00 to begin with!! I think I am going to try to get a really large duffel bag, fit both in, and ship it with the luggage...

pixiesmimi
10-05-2007, 11:50 PM
My DD flies a lot with her children and on one of their last trips they inquired with the car rental company at the other end if they had car seats available. The answer was yes. They thought about it and finally decided to take their own so they could use it on the plane. They were glad they did because when they picked up their rental car, the car seats were all gone. They would have been in a real mess if they hadn't taken their own car seat. Unless the company can "guarantee" a car seat, I would take your own.

tinksmom02
10-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Like others have said, you can rent them. I know that I looked into renting a booster seat for our trip last week, and Budget wanted $50 for the week. For a booster seat.

We brought our own and for the trip down, we put it in a suitcase. The trip back was a little different, because we used the resort check in at POFQ, and needed the booster to get to the airport. I was going to just throw it in the overhead, but I ended up gate-checking it. Very easy, no hassle at all.