PDA

View Full Version : Headless Horseman

Imagineer1981
10-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Just FYI, if the cast members during MNSSHP tell you to stay back during the headless horseman's ride before the parade, please do so. The horse is trained to run the route and the actual rider is just along for the ride with no real control!!

grumpyguy
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
and he can't see anyway,'cause he's headless!!!

Figgyluv03
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks for the info! I told DBf that I would pay the $40 a ticket just to see the Headless Horseman run! I've seen Videos on YouTube of it, and people where still standing in the street. What kind of common sense do they have? Do they want to get run over? They can obviously see that the Headless Horseman himself can't see and would be unable to stop because someone decided they wanted to get a little closer. People boggle my mind some times!

magicman
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM
and he can't see anyway,'cause he's headless!!!:funny:

So here's a thought, if a headless man falls off a horse, does he feel pain?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM
As much as I hate to say this....the Horseman does run anymore.

It's a sad little hop-trot deal. And the horse really just looks at everyone and sometimes even pauses for a few seconds. It's been depressing because the night I saw it, he was running with sparks and everything. And now everynight when I watch it, I get more and more disappointed.

My guess would be some parent didn't watch their child and they ran into the street during the run and almost got hurt.

Dyanna
10-05-2007, 12:43 PM
I have heard that the parade starts at one point during the earlier parade & then from another point at the later one. Is this true? Which way does he go for each parade So I can make sure to look the right way to get him on camera.

spinnerf
10-05-2007, 12:58 PM
We were just there and the parade staretd at the same point both times. Dont worry about miising the horseman, he was well announced and didnt "run" so fast you couldnt get a picture.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I have heard that the parade starts at one point during the earlier parade & then from another point at the later one. Is this true? Which way does he go for each parade So I can make sure to look the right way to get him on camera.

He'll be coming from Frontierland to Main Street. There is only one direction he rides. If you miss the first one (which would be impossible as he is so slow) you can catch the second one. I've found the corner of Main Street where they go off the parade route is best because he has to come around the corner and gives you more of a chance to get him. He usually gets there about 15 minutes before parade.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Another FYI, The CM's make many announcements about not using flash or video camera lighting when they headless horseman comes by. It scares the horse. They also ask you to turn off any of the light toys they sell and hold glow sticks or necklaces behind your back.
This would be the reason we were not able to get any good pics of him. They came out really bad without using a flash. Of course,there were those who did not listen.
He does kind of trot by. We were expecting him to go much faster.
It was my DS' favorite part of the parade!!

SimbaandNalasMama
10-06-2007, 09:43 AM
I dont care how fast (or slow) he went by. It was one of the coolest, most exciting parts of the parade. It is definately a memorable sight. I even got to 'meet' the horse after the parade, as i was lucky enough to do a backstage meet -n- greet with Jack Sparrow and others. The horse was in its stall and i got to pat it and get my pic with him! Again, one of my fav memories from the party!!

and btw, i love that i can come here day or night and talk with others like myself who love and adore Disney. You guys rule! (i know, WAAAYYY off topic, sorry :blush: )

garymacd
10-06-2007, 10:09 AM
I dont care how fast (or slow) he went by. It was one of the coolest, most exciting parts of the parade.

You are absolutely right! I have never seen anything like that at WDW until this year. Actually, I was surprised at how fast the horseman was moving. It can't be easy keeping your feet under you while running in steel shoes on pavement with sparks flying from your feet.

SimbaandNalasMama
10-06-2007, 10:12 AM
It can't be easy keeping your feet under you while running in steel shoes on pavement with sparks flying from your feet.

Good point. And not to mention all the people, all the noise and all the flashes and bright lights.

Very impressive indeed!

DisneyDudet
10-06-2007, 03:09 PM
So, since I can't use flash, its practically impossible for me to get a picture?

Bummer.

I guess I'll have to video him then!

We'll have all three of us with a camera or two! I managed a still and video camera two years at the CP! Now, thats talent!

I just hope I get a picture.

Tink65
10-06-2007, 09:04 PM
We were at the start of the parade last year and I missed him. This year I was sure to see and get him a little on video. It was awesome.
This year we were near Main Street and he kinda stopped in front of us. I was so suprised.:joy: I enjoyed the speed because it gave us a chance to see and enjoy him. This has actually got to be one of the best parts of the parade.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-06-2007, 09:07 PM
So, since I can't use flash, its practically impossible for me to get a picture?

We tried to get a few shots but they came out too dark to see. :(

Cinderelley
10-06-2007, 09:21 PM
My pics of him turned out so-so. Here they are if you want to see them.

Headless Horseman (http://travel.webshots.com/album/560957042VhecUT)

Tink65
10-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Your pictures look good. I agree that it is hard to get off good shots. I wish they would have a meet n greet where you could get shots of them.

Figaro
10-06-2007, 10:49 PM
All these years I never knew they did that. Thats a BEAUTIFUL horse though. I might have to stop by the Tri Circle D Ranch at FW and see the horse.

chrisb26
10-07-2007, 01:21 AM
That is intresting I never would have figured that the guy riding the horse couldn't see at all. I think I would be afraid to be the person on the horse. Riding across MK on a horse and not being able to see must take some getting used to.

garymacd
10-07-2007, 10:28 AM

You can get a picture, but it takes a really good 35mm SLR FILM camera, a steady hand and maybe a tripod and cable shutter release. You need to use at least 1000 ASA film and play with your aperture and shutter speed until you get the proper balance. You need to have a fast enough shutter speed so the subject doesn't blur, but slow enough to allow enough light in. Have someone stand where you intend to take your photo when the lights go down to test your settings.

The tripod and cable shutter release will help reduce movement of the camera.

I noticed a place near Liberty Square where a light shone down on the parade route throughout the ride and parade. It was near the entrance to the riverboat. This might help give you some extra light onto the subject.

The only problem with this method is you won't know what you get until you develop the film .

Good luck!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-07-2007, 05:48 PM
All these years I never knew they did that. Thats a BEAUTIFUL horse though. I might have to stop by the Tri Circle D Ranch at FW and see the horse.

I might be wrong on this, but I've understood it to be that the horse isn't actually owned by Disney. It's borrowed every year for the parties and then spends the rest of the time with his family elsewhere, from what I've been told. This also applies to the bloodhound used in the parade.

If I am wrong about this, someone is more than welcome to correct me.

Victor Kelly
10-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Use the burst mode on the digital cameras along with the sports setting. You can also adjust your aperature too if you have a good enough camera (buried in menus).

Also, a 3 ccd video camera can also get you halfway decent single frames, and will not turn out too dark even with the low light of Disney during halloween.

Kerry823
10-07-2007, 11:28 PM
My DD and I went to MNSSHP last year and it was the best! We were so impressed with the fireworks,the music, the parade and the headless horseman. I was one of the best trips ever.

The headless horseman was very impressive. The horse was beautiful and the whole effect was awesome.

Never being there before for this, I had no idea that he was coming! In our case, the CM's didn't really say why we had to step back. I thought he meant for the parade. Also, the horse was galloping when he passed us.

I thought the grave diggers with the shovels was a great effect as well. :mpumpkin:

Now I am sad! I want to go back!:cry:

pennsy22
10-08-2007, 04:18 AM
When we were there 3 years ago he went by going from Mainstreet to Frontierland. He also went by at a pretty good gallop. I hardly had time to get my camera up to get the picture. It turned out a little blurry but it almost looks like I was doing some kind of special effect with my camera. We're going back this year on the 18th. Hopefully the weather cools off some more by then.

martinfamily5
10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
My pics of him turned out so-so. Here they are if you want to see them.

Headless Horseman (http://travel.webshots.com/album/560957042VhecUT)

Cinderelley,

I think that your pictures turned out great. We just decided last night to go to MNSSHP (we have been before). Your pictures just got me even more excited.