PDA

View Full Version : This just hit me.......

goofysbabe
10-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Ok, it's raining and I'm caught up on my work and kinda bored and I keep thinking about this whole change in the DDP. So here are my thoughts...........I'm thinking they took off the appetizer and left the dessert because they thought they would come out ahead - Here's why I think this - seems just about everyone would order the appetizer, they just sit down their hungry and they want food now..... but, by the time dessert rolls around they are full and would not want dessert, so if they took the appetizer off by the time dessert rolls around your still hungry and can eat it or some people may be full and decline the dessert. I'm thinking for the most part appetizers cost more than desserts. Just my thoughts - what do you think????

ibrowse17
10-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Sounds like you might be on to something. I know I would rather have desserts than appetizers any day, but that is just me:eat:

irish1967
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't know - maybe...

But, I always ordered dessert even if I was full because it was already paid for. I would eat 2 bites to about half of it.

paulsheri
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
They Alwasy Let Me "pack Up " My Dessert, And Let Me Take It With Us, I'll Still Get The Dessert

EmcDuckRN
10-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Definitely a possibility.

I've ordered deserts anyway so it wouldn't help them much in my case.

I'd rather have the Appetizers. Not much into sweets.

crazeedizneefinatic
10-05-2007, 01:40 PM
For the most part the appetizers were more costly than desserts unless you were getting a salad or something. It really won't effect us since we would never pay for the DDP. My husband and son are too picky to get our money's worth. I can honestly say though with the appetizer and dessert it was alot of food even for us. By the end of the vacation we did not want to see another appetizer. As you can see I did not say dessert, lol. How can you pass up dessert?

Off the subject I do have to comment on something. We just returned from Disney and were on the free DDP. We went to Coral Reef for dinner (by the way was yummy!) and my mom and husband got the shrimp and BBQ beef skewer for their appetizer. We all bust out laughing when it came to the table. On a huge rectangular dish were two mini shrimp on a skewer and two mini bites of beef on a skewer! It was so comical. It would not have been as funny if we were not on the dining plan since it was priced at $10.99!!!!

jsdt
10-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I think you are absolutely correct. I would say that people (on non-dining plans) are more prone to order appetizers than desserts because they are hungry right away and it also gives you something to eat while you wait for your main course. Plus with kids, they especially want food right away. With no appetizers now on the 2008 DDP, you still may have people that order appetizers and pay for it just so they have some food right away. On the other hand if you got an appetizer and your meal, you are probably plenty full (and unless the dessert was free) would not order a dessert.

lockedoutlogic
10-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Ok, it's raining and I'm caught up on my work and kinda bored and I keep thinking about this whole change in the DDP. So here are my thoughts...........I'm thinking they took off the appetizer and left the dessert because they thought they would come out ahead - Here's why I think this - seems just about everyone would order the appetizer, they just sit down their hungry and they want food now..... but, by the time dessert rolls around they are full and would not want dessert, so if they took the appetizer off by the time dessert rolls around your still hungry and can eat it or some people may be full and decline the dessert. I'm thinking for the most part appetizers cost more than desserts. Just my thoughts - what do you think????

Truer words have never been spoken on this board...BINGO!!

We were on the Dining plan two weeks ago and this exact thought hit me at lunch....

Of course they would remove the appetizer....they have about a 90% probability that people would pay out of pocket for an appy before a dessert....

There is no dispute here.....they cut their costs for the DDP.....deflect the gratuity back on the customer and away from them (nothing that Disney management hates more than paying non-predetermined amounts of pay to the employees down there....nothing...)

This is an absolute brilliant move...and it's a classic Disney hustle....

They are excellent business strategists when it comes to WDW...there record is ridiculously spotty elsewhere.....

This is a great tactical move on their part...if you write down on paper the progression of DDP from it's a brilliant strategy...from design, to marketing, to implementation, to expansion...

brilliant...and as long as you aren't thinking they make decisions with "wishes, magic, dreams, wonder"....it will be obvious to the keen observer

chicade88
10-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Off the subject I do have to comment on something. We just returned from Disney and were on the free DDP. We went to Coral Reef for dinner (by the way was yummy!) and my mom and husband got the shrimp and BBQ beef skewer for their appetizer. We all bust out laughing when it came to the table. On a huge rectangular dish were two mini shrimp on a skewer and two mini bites of beef on a skewer! It was so comical. It would not have been as funny if we were not on the dining plan since it was priced at $10.99!!!!

I know! The same thing happened to us and we weren't quite sure what to do. Ha...I had forgotten of this! : )

MickeyandTink
10-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking they took off the appetizer and left the dessert because they thought they would come out ahead - Here's why I think this - seems just about everyone would order the appetizer, they just sit down their hungry and they want food now..... but, by the time dessert rolls around they are full and would not want dessert, so if they took the appetizer off by the time dessert rolls around your still hungry and can eat it or some people may be full and decline the dessert. I'm thinking for the most part appetizers cost more than desserts. Just my thoughts - what do you think????

Those were my thoughts exactly when I heard about the change. Between that and removing the tip from the plan, they've cut the value of DDP by 20-25% or more. I probably wouldn't pay for it (unless I was planning a lot of expensive TS meals), but it still a good deal for Free Dining purposes.

martinfamily5
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Goofysbabe,

You are one smart cookie!!:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
10-08-2007, 05:33 PM
1) Another factor.
2) Appy's are made by hand and to-order.
3) MOST desserts are bought.
4) Even the really "fancy" ones are prefabbed.
5) In most cases, even the fancy ones are cheaper than appy's.

NOTE: Most WDW desserts are the same ones that any restaurant can order from vendors. Even the unique ones are pre-made and shipped to the eatery. There are very few desserts that are wholly made at WDW. I am not saying this is bad, just that it is cheaper than restaurant-made.