PDA

View Full Version : How good is Crush 'n' Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon?

SpecJoe Magic
10-05-2007, 04:57 AM
My wife and I are planning on going to one of the water parks on our next trip. I went to both of them before we knew each other, and she has never been to either park. We are leaning towards Blizzard Beach because I like it quite a bit better, and she likes the sound of it as well. However, I do like the wave pool and Humunga Kowabunga at Typhoon Lagoon. Crush 'n' Gusher wasn't there on my last visit. Is it a great slide? I've seen video footage of it, but I have no idea about how much fun it would be. So, is it worth a visit to Typhoon Lagoon in order to experience Crush 'n' Gusher even though I like Blizzard Beach considerably more?

mermaidmarian
10-05-2007, 05:56 AM
It is pretty much a cranked up version of BB's Runoff Rapids.

Two things about CnG that bother me a bit - (1) you really have to keep your bottom up because the inside surface of the slides is not smooth at all times - there are rollers where the water propulsion jets are and (2) the act of keeping my bottom up made me feel like my legs were positioned precariously if I hit a sharp turn. So it isn't a slide that I just get on and let gravity and water do the rest of the work to the bottom.

mickeymousedabomb
10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Well we went to BB in '03 and TL in '06. Loved BB ALOT!! Went to TL because it was the kids choice this last visit and I was all for trying a new place too. I felt like there wasn't enough to do compared to BB. The crushin' gusher was ok, over real fast and not to thrilling. I guess if I had to say my fav part it was the snorkling in the reef:snorkel:. That was real cool! Next time it will be BB for us, just not this upcoming trip Nov-Dec. Good luck on choosing!

LouRodriGIS
10-05-2007, 08:02 AM
We went to TL in late August for the first time. We had been to BB and wanted to try a new water park. I loved the Shark Reef but I was a bit disappointed with Crushn Gusher. I agree with posts above that the ride was kind of short. It also wasn't that fast. You also need to make sure that none of your body is touching the slide when you are going uphill because there is some type of conveyer belt that helps you go uphill and it kills if you touch it. My son had red marks all up his back.

Oh..and be prepared to carry your tube up the stairs all day if you want to ride this. That can be a bit tiring on a hot day.

I think we'll stick with BB from now on and do occasional trips to TL when we want to try the wave pool and shark reef.

Maleficent's Dad
10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
I didn't really find Crush 'n Gusher to be like Runoff Rapids at BB... :confused: I don't think that's a fair comparison.

We thoroughly enjoy both water parks, but we find Crush 'n Gusher to be just an average attraction.

After the initial first drop, they BLAST you with water to get up the first (small) hill - and I do mean blast you! DW did not appreciate this.

It's a fine ride, and the concept is excellent. But I think they tried to fit it in where they could and the space was limited in TL.

At the ride's exit, Photopass Photographers take your pic (as you come down on the tube) and throw you one of those Photopasses that you can wear on your wrists. That was the best part of the ride for us.

Our kids (ages 6 & 8) preferred the wave pool over all else in TL this year. DD (6) wasn't tall enough for Crush 'n Gusher. :(

vizsla
10-06-2007, 07:12 PM
We visit both water parks every trip nd BB is our favorite. As far as CnG it is alright. It would be a better slide if it were a longer ride. If the line is extremely long it really isn't worth the wait to me to go on it.

MinnieMommie
10-07-2007, 05:25 PM
If you prefer BB I wouldn't change your plans for CnG. It is not that great - you know a can't miss type of ride. It is short and it can be a bit bumpy on one's bottom. Nothing to change your plan for. :mickey:

GrumpyFan
10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
If you like roller coasters, you should like CnG. It's like a water slide mixed with a roller coaster. I agree with what others have said, 1) Keep your bottom elevated, otherwise you'll get a HARD blast of water, that's not very comfortable, 2) Its' kinda short. About the time you're having fun, you reach the bottom of the slide.

TL is our favorite park, and while CnG is somewhat short, we like the slides a lot, and went on them at least 3 times on our last trip to TL. So, give it a try.

WDWfanatic742
10-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Like the other posts, the slide is super short. At most about a half minute long.

Little story from my last trip. While we were waiting in line three people fell off their raft while going uphill and they had to stop the ride for about a half hour to make sure everything was working again and make sure that the people didnt leave anything on the slide. They all had bumps and bruises and everything else you could think of.

Meteora
10-10-2007, 12:36 PM
My sister and I tried CnG last year and really enjoyed it. She loves roller coasters, I can't stand them, and we both enjoyed the slides--they were exciting enough for her but not too scary for me. I agree with others that it's a little scary to be so close to the actual slide, but neither of us had any problems staying in the "correct" position and we went quite a few times. Granted, we're in our early twenties. Still, no injuries here. I will caution that the lines tend to be rather long and go up flights of stairs, and you have to be holding your raft (a rather cumbersome thing) the whole time. Overall we liked it, but if you generally prefer BB, you might still want to go there instead. CnG is a fun ride if you're already at TL, but I don't know that it's worth going there FOR.

MMouse6937
10-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I thought CnG was mildly terrifying. My DH went on it by himself last time and was disapointed. His first comment when we got off was "geez, you sure go faster with two people". Yeah, I guess!! :D The water blasting you from behind was kinda fun in my opinion, but you do have to keep your butt up. I just didn't think you should go that fast on anything that didn't have a lap belt! I definately think it was worth the ride, or two! :)

AdventurerKim
10-13-2007, 09:59 AM
I rode this twice with my dad the year it opened and ultimately did not like it. It was cool to ride a waterslide like a rollarcoaster, but the whole time I felt like I was going to fall out without a seatbelt. I tried to keep my behind up, but after two rides, I had the biggest, ugliest bruise across my backside that hurt for the rest of the trip. My dad wanted to go a third time but I declined. My husband wants to try it, but he'll have to find someone else to go with him. :(

poeticeclipse
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Everyone is talking about keeping your bottoms up on this ride (which I agree with). But don't forget about your feet!! I rode with my husband and I was in front. If you don't keep your feet up they might hit the conveyor type thing and it may give you a little heel burn. You really have to be in somewhat decent shape in order to hold yourself in the right position to not get hurt at all. My husband and I kept going on it for some reason. Even though we kept going "OW!"

Sidenote: The theming for this ride kind of stinks. You'll notice when you go up the steps and you look down below. I think I saw some crates with fruit labeled. Other than that it wasn't anything great. I just tried to not look at it so it didn't ruin my experience.

Disneypixie513
10-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I like the ride alot. The 1st drop always gets my stomach all tickly..But there are 3 thing that i don't like and all of them have been said..
1.) Keep your bottom up..And they mean it..It hurts your butt (and sometimes back) and if your wearing a 2 piece suit ladies, You may find your bottoms slip a little if you don't hold your butt a certain way :blush:
2.) It is a short ride
3.) you have to carry your big bulky tube up all those stairs..not fun..The stairs are slick from so many wet feet and then you have the big bulky tubes..Me and my little sis rode once by ourselves(after 2 rides with my dad carrying a 3 person tube) Boy was i greatful that Dad carried our tube up :number1: