PDA

View Full Version : Wearing black to a wedding

disneydrmr
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm attending a wedding this Saturday at 2 in the afternoon.. all I have that fits is a couple of black outfits (with flowers on the outfits).. is it ok to wear one of these? I could either go with a black skirt that has different colored flowers and a matching black sweater that has a small read flower over one breast.. or a black dress that has red flower designs on it... what's the latest etiquette on this...

nicole48040
10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Black is a standard at weddings nowadays, so you'll be fine.:thumbsup:

thrillme
10-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Shucks...a lot of the bridesmaids wear black now. I even had a friend who's bridesmaids had a dress with a black velvet top and dark green taffeta bottom.

Groomsmen have worn black tuxedos forever.

Wear whatever you look best in. The focus is going to be on the bride. Chances are no one will ever remeber what you wore.

Lessie
10-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Black is definitely perfectly acceptable for weddings these days! The only time I would maybe be hesitant to go with black would be a spring or summer afternoon wedding in warm weather. But this time of year, I have no doubt you will be just fine.

disneymom15
10-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't give it a second thought. Wear your black outfit.

MsMin
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Just don't wear white or a veil :jaw:
Yes, it's alright. Wear what feels comfortable and have a great time.

pogo
10-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Diane..... Diane..... Diane ! :shake:

I'm sure you will look stunning in what ever you decide to wear..... black or not ! ;)

Don't worry about it..... go and enjoy it in your black dress. :D

conorsmom2000
10-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Black is definitely perfectly acceptable for weddings these days! The only time I would maybe be hesitant to go with black would be a spring or summer afternoon wedding in warm weather. But this time of year, I have no doubt you will be just fine.

Exactly what I was going to say! Heck, I've even worn black pants to a wedding (with a cream colored lace top & tank) and my Mom was horrified - until we got there and I was about one of 10 women in pants! Anything goes as long as it's appropriately dressy to the occassion!! :D

Have fun!

IloveDisney71
10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I have worn black dresses, that had some color in them, to several weddings. There were several other people wearing black. It is fine to wear black today, the times have changed. :thumbsup:

PirateLover
10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I've worn black dresses to two weddings. One was a pure black spaghetti strap, the other was a halter neck with some sparkley rhinestones forming a diamond at the neckline. I got compliments on both my dresses from many people, including the bride! So go for it :thumbsup:

kim1st
10-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I just attended a wedding on Saturday and wore a black dress with white designs.

When I was shopping, I had tried to avoid black altogether but ended up at White House Black Market and found two dresses I LOVED. (As the name implies - everything at that store is black and white.)

In October, I have another wedding where I also plan to wear black.

Come to think of it - I wore black velvet to a November wedding last year as well...

The "no black at weddings" thing no longer holds true...there is LOTS of black at weddings these days...have fun!!!!!!

Pipalotta
10-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Heck my mom wore black to HER OWN WEDDING! Yea as long as you arent wearing a big puffy white dress you are good.

Hayden's Dad
10-05-2007, 09:30 AM
My wife had her bridesmaids in plain black dresses for our wedding and they looked beautiful. You won't have anything to worry about. :D

tinkerbellybutton
10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
I've always thought that black is classy. I definately think it's fine to wear to a wedding, as other have said, just stay away from the frilly white dress and veil :bride:;)

ldn324
10-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Black is fine to wear to a wedding.

My entire wedding party was black and white. My poor mother - who is old school southern lady - was in shock. Of course, she was in shock being surrounded by that many attendees from Jersey and NY at our Pocono wedding too ;). She was convinced it was horrible to wear black to a wedding until she found out that it was perfectly acceptable. That whole "rule" thing is out the window - just like white shoes after Labor Day, black shoes after Easter, etc. As long as it looks good, anything goes.

That being said, I don't think I'd ever wear anything to compete with the bride or the bridal party. To me, that would include white or any really, really loud colors. 99% of my wardrobe is black though, so that's never an issue for me.

Wear your black dress proudly and enjoy yourself!

Mickey'sGirl
10-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Just don't wear white or a veil :jaw:.
:funny:

Wear what makes you comfortable. Not that I'm a fashionista or anything... but I almost always wear black to weddings (except my own, where I wore white and a veil!)

DizNee143
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
i just wore a black dress to my friends wedding a few weeks ago..i didnt even think twice about it..and also im in my best friends wedding in feb..and her bridesmaid dresses are black (with a little bit of white)..
you'll be absolutely fine..dont even think twice about it...

disneydrmr
10-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses... good thing you all say to go for it in wearing the black cause my next choice was a white dress with a veil and that seems to be a big no no with this crowd! :D ;)

I guess I'm just old fashioned in some ways... I still only wear black when I go to funerals.. maybe that's why I have only black to wear right now... unfortunately I've been to more funerals lately then weddings...:(

Anyway.. thanks everyone! Should I bring anyone back a piece of wedding cake?

tinkerbellybutton
10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses... good thing you all say to go for it in wearing the black cause my next choice was a white dress with a veil and that seems to be a big no no with this crowd! :D ;)

:rotfl::funny::laughing: