PDA

View Full Version : Carousel of Progress

andypooh
10-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Is it currently open? we are going in november.

disneycouple2004
10-04-2007, 10:56 AM
check here for that info: http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp

from info central right here on Intercot !!
:thumbsup:

its always open during the holiday season..

MickeyandTink
10-04-2007, 12:43 PM
It was open when we were there last week. I hadn't seen it in about 15 years, but it was always a must see when we went. Still good, except I was disappointed in the updated last scene. Ahh, progress!!

Just remember, "It's a great big, beautiful tomorrow..."

Nate's Grandpa
10-04-2007, 01:22 PM
My wife and I rode it last week.
There was a total of 4 of us riding.
All the empty seats were kind of depressing.

Von-Drake
10-04-2007, 02:30 PM
COP is one of my favorite rides. I remember riding it when I was child and all the seats would be packed. I love that ride as a nice place to relax and enjoy watching the progress.

cal5755
10-04-2007, 06:40 PM
My wife and I rode it last week.
There was a total of 4 of us riding.
All the empty seats were kind of depressing.

I agree... we rode 3 times and they all were more than half empty.

snifflesmcg
10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
It was open at least since Sept 17th. During my trip we rode three times. I just can't get enough of "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow"!

WDWfanatic742
10-04-2007, 06:46 PM
It's been open for two or three years straight, maybe a month or two inbetween for a rehab or two. It kind of needed one last time I went a couple month's ago.

wdwfansince75
10-04-2007, 08:34 PM
One more reason to go in the summer! It has been open every time I've been to the MK. Possible theme....It will stay open until someone correctly identifies the little girl in the first scene!

garthbarth1
10-04-2007, 08:45 PM
I love this ride! We rode it twice while we were there last week and it was fairly empty! The only thing that bothers me about it is that in the first scene, the dad is wearing two left shoes!! Its almost distracting...anyone going soon take a look and see!

kbean
10-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I enjoy this ride too. It's always been open when I go. I gotta look for thee two left shoes. I'll be there for a day trip Wed.

EPCOT84
10-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Returning to see CoP after so many years, it seemed almost sad. Most seemed to go there just to rest up in the middle of a hot day. The seats looked worn and neglected. The CM even seemed listless when introducing the ride.

I remember when it was in Disneyland, always one of my favorites. But we all must thank Disney for keeping it open with just some minor tweaking of the last scene to keep up to date.

With all the changes to similar rides at Epcot over the years, imagine how CoP would have been treated - closed for sure within a few years. Yet, this classic Disney from way back at the New York World's Fair is maintained like a historical monument. Thank you Disney.:thumbsup:

FenwayGirl
10-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Hoping it will be open in January. It was in January of 2006

Kairi_7378
10-07-2007, 10:43 AM
It was open between Oct. 1 and Oct. 5.

JPL
10-07-2007, 10:48 AM
It has been in regular operations for a few years now. So unless it goes down for an unscheduled refurb or goes 101 for some reason it should be open.

LudwigVonDrake
10-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I was able to ride it three times in July and while not packed, there were nice crowds each time. I love the Carousel of Progress :mickey:

Jeri Lynn
10-07-2007, 02:46 PM
We just got back and we rode it, unfortunately they had a technical difficulty so we all had to exit the theatre...

Does anyone know how old Rover is??

MinnieMommie
10-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I love COP. It is one of my favs. It has been open continuously for a while now. While there are no crowds when we visit the attraction was definetely not even close to empty.

How old is Rover? According to my calculations he has been around since the 1964 Worlds Fair in NY. That's pretty old for a dog! :mickey:

delusionalstitch
10-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Every I have been since Feb it has been open... The last time I rode it I made a funny discovery however they have a fast pass lane for COP

mrsgaribaldi
10-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I like the ride but it is dated. When the "turn of the century" they are talking about is not the most recent one, it really needs an update:blush: One or two more scenes would really bring it back up to speed. We don't do it everytime:secret:

pennsy22
10-08-2007, 04:35 AM
I like the ride but it is dated. When the "turn of the century" they are talking about is not the most recent one, it really needs an update:blush: One or two more scenes would really bring it back up to speed.

I have to agree, it is one of my favorite rides, we just rode it Saturday, but even the update needs updated. The scenes go in 20 year increments, around the turn of the century, 1920's, and 1940's then jump to the turn of the next century, 60 years! I know to add more scenes would mean totally rebuilding the ride. Maybe they could change the first and last stops and add scenes into them. I doubt it but it's a thought. I'm just glad that the closing it rumors have subsided.

MickeyandTink
10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I have to agree, it is one of my favorite rides, we just rode it Saturday, but even the update needs updated. The scenes go in 20 year increments, around the turn of the century, 1920's, and 1940's then jump to the turn of the next century, 60 years! I know to add more scenes would mean totally rebuilding the ride. Maybe they could change the first and last stops and add scenes into them. I doubt it but it's a thought. I'm just glad that the closing it rumors have subsided.

In the 1960's, using ~20 year increments made a lot of sense. 40 years later, not so much. They could rebuild the ride to add 2 or 3 more scenes, but that would really cut back the number of seats available and would mean either cutting about 40% of the commentary in each section or making it a very lengthy ride. It might be better to leave the beginning scene, combine the 20's and 40's into one scene, update the 60's section into a late 60's, early 70's (maybe like the "present day" section from the original ride or like it was in the 80's) and then update the "present" to a 21st century "smart house"/Internet ready section.

Just my :twocents: to make an old favorite still relevant to today.

EPCOT84
10-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Probably can look this up in Wikipedia but can anyone answer this: - CoP was first at the World's Fair and then moved to Disneyland. Was this same one moved to MK in Florida or was a second one built for Florida and, before America Sings! opened in Disneyland, the Disneyland one was destroyed?

WDWfanatic742
10-08-2007, 09:43 PM
It was moved from Disneyland to the Magic Kingdom. There was not a second one built.

EPCOT84
10-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Thank you. In that case, more so it should be preserved as is with only minor tweaking of the final scene as they have done over the years.:mickey:

I again commend the people at Disney for keeping the original intact and the script basically the same. Yes, it seems dated and the rotation of years is now off, but it was what it was -a Disney "historical monument". So long as folks like us enjoy it and we can get the little ones to enjoy it too,it is still relevant and is classic Disney.:mickey2:

magicofdisney
10-09-2007, 04:38 AM
I don't think they should change anything. It's all about progress, as was seen through Walt's eyes in the 60's. Remember the scene where Sarah (the mom) says ovens don't just clean themselves. Now we can all chuckle about that. For nostalgia, the final scene should go untouched (or perhaps the original should be returned). :mickey: