PDA

View Full Version : Le Cellier or Cali Grill?

tomorrowschild
10-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I will be making our ADR's within the next week and need your help.
This will be my husbands first trip to WDW. We were suppose to go last year for our honeymoon, but we found out we were expecting so we put off our honeymoon.
We will be going with my parents and brother, so we have built in babysitters for our little princess:princess:.
We are planning on doing a "date day". Our daughter will be with her grandparents. We will be doing just "us" stuff.
We would like to go out for a special supper, just the 2 of us.
My husband narrowed it down to Le Cellier or Cali. Help us decide. What are the pros and cons to each (I have never eaten at either)?
Which do you prefer?

Jared
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Honestly, I've never eaten at either restaurant, but California Grill is supposedly too special to miss. Every review I've read is so absolutely stellar, I can't imagine many people will suggest Le Cellier.

Lessie
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
California Grill is certainly more of a special occasion restaurant than Le Cellier. While Le Cellier has good food, it’s just not the same type of menu or dining experience. Definitely go with California Grill! :thumbsup:

SBETigg
10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
California Grill, hands down. It's well worth the extra cost or credits. Here are my recent reviews of both. I hope it helps you make a decision. Best wishes for a great celebration no matter which you choose!

Le Cellier (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=116499)
California Grill (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=114779)

WRWDisney
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM
They are our top two restaurants, so I understand the challenge, but I have to agree, go to Cali for your date night. That said, there is no reason not to do LeCellier on another night! :thumbsup:

Honestly, we wouldn't think of missing either one.

Jimenyfan
10-03-2007, 05:29 PM
DH and I celebrated our 15th anniversary at Cali Grill and we could not have asked for a more beautiful meal. The food was wonderful our table was in the rear of the restaurant so we felt as if we had a lot of privacy. It is so pretty looking out over the Magic Kingdom while enjoying a glass of wine and just talking. This year we will be celebratng 20 years and can' t wait to go back.

4myprincesses
10-03-2007, 06:43 PM
We've been to both for two trips now and we have recieved better service each time at LeCellier. The view at California Grill is better, IF you get a table that's not by the kitchen doors or at the far back of the restaurant. If you are looking for quiet and intimate you might be better off at LeCellier. You really can't go too wrong though as both have great food!

BoomNLeon
10-03-2007, 08:55 PM
We just ate at California Grill last week and loved it. BY far the best dining experience of the whole trip. But it can be pricey. The service was great and so was the food. I think it is good for a date night.

dolphinmickey9170
10-03-2007, 09:31 PM
These are both "not to miss" restaurants. I would suggest you and DH do California Grill together, maybe you can talk your "babysitters" into letting you go for dinner and make your ressies at the time of Wishes. Then book LeCellier as a family and you all can enjoy!!

faline
10-03-2007, 09:46 PM
California Grill! It's a chance to dress up a little, enjy great food, and fabulous views!

Le Cellier is terrifc but there are no views and everyone is dressed in their regular park clothes!

Natazu
10-04-2007, 01:36 AM
California Grill is an experience in itself. I would make an effort to eat there even if it wasn't surrounded by four theme parks. The service is top shelf, the food is amazing, and since it is 15 stories above the happiest place on earth™, the view is unmatched from the Grand Canyon to the Grand Canyon Concourse.

Le Cellier is a very good restaurant, too. It's a great value on the dining plan and the food is wonderful. They've had some menu changes recently, not all for the best in my opinion but for the price, it's very good.

Note on reputation:
I have heard many people say that Le Cellier didn't live up to their expectations, maybe 35% of the folks I talk to about it, that's a lot. However, I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard someone say California Grill fell below a mark of excellence.

dmosher
10-04-2007, 03:35 AM
My wife and I discussed this and decided we would pick Le Cellier. You start off with a quieter, darker, more romantic dinner and depending on the time you make your reservations for (later the better), you can either come out and catch the fireworks in Epcot, or wait and once the crouds are gone, go for a quiet almost completely alone stroll through the countries without running into anyone. We do this whenever we are there and it is always a wonderfully romantic time. Plus you get to avoid the Epcot escape crowds.

Sure, at the Californis Grill you get to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks, but how can you say no to a quiet stroll around the world, just the two of you? Oh... and the most amazing meal.

D
:mickey:

tomorrowschild
10-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for everyones replys. I am letting my husband decide (as this is his first trip). We looked through the menus for both, as well as the pictures. I agree with everyone about Cali, I have always wanted to eat here.
I am a bit conserned about the food (not he quality, but the "fanciness". My DH is a big meat and potatoes guy. He has gotten much more adventurous as we have been dating and now married. We were in Banff this Aug. and had brunch at The Banff Springs. He actually tried things like game hen and venison, I was very proud of him.
So for a guy who is just starting to eat "gormet" food- would he enjoy Cali Grill?

GrmGrninGost
10-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I am as big a meat and potatoes guy as you're likely to find. I would definitely go Cali! I have been twice now, and it is my favorite restaurant ever! :mickey: Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things on the menu I would not touch, but there are also things that are wonderful! I like to be there for the MK fireworks! It is totally awesome! As for LeCellier, it is my second favorite restaurant. It has great food and I like the atmosphere. But, for a special night out, go Cali Grill! :thumbsup:

Natazu
10-04-2007, 06:35 PM
My DH is a big meat and potatoes guy. He has gotten much more adventurous as we have been dating and now married.
So for a guy who is just starting to eat "gormet" food- would he enjoy Cali Grill?
You're in luck. Meat and potatoes is California Grill's specialty:
Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Crushed Red Potatoes with Nueske's Bacon, Green Beans, Teriyaki Barbecue Sauce

The flatbreads are a great "stepping stone" for a segue to gourmet dining. If he likes pasta, the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli is one of the best Appetizers at Disney.

MouseHouser
10-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Agree with every word of Natazu's post. Le Cel is very good, but I think it's exaulted status is largely due to it's being best in its class: those restos available for 1 dining credit on the DDP.

In the larger category of all Disney restaurants, there's no comparison; Cali Grill takes it to the next level on each of the three metrics I use: service, atmosphere and food.

This is not to say Le Cellier doesn't deliver. It does. But:

Setting: Cali Grill much better.

Service: Our waiter at Le Cel was good, but green. At Cali Grill, a pro of the highest order.

Food: The steak and bread at le Cel, all good. Wasn't ready for the heavy cheddar soup. But every dish at the Cali Grill was world class in creative ways that just bespeaks cutting edge.

Crow
10-04-2007, 09:04 PM
well many times i would say go w a place in WS, cause i spend the most time there.
and Le Cellier has been 1 of my favs. but i skipped it this trip for other places. it sorta reminds me of a dungeon but the food has been good.
CG i ate for the first time in May and the 2nd time a wk ago.....its on the top of my list.
the sushi is the best ive had. the views pretty good. i had buffalo which was not bad. and the cheese for dessert which was great.
last time i had sushi, pork loin and the banana dessert.
the service was good both times. It is more exp but i was on the dining plan. even if i wasnt i would go here now i believe. i did also watch Wishes from here this time.

pox24
10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Both are great places to eat, however its no contest.... California Grille:thumbsup:

tomorrowschild
10-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks again guys. I think we will go with the Cali Grill, I am really looking forward to it, and will be making ADR's next week. I am looking forward to getting abit dressed up for supper, there aren't too many (if any) places around our city that you can do this. :mickey:

tarheelmjfan
10-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks again guys. I think we will go with the Cali Grill, I am really looking forward to it, and will be making ADR's next week. I am looking forward to getting abit dressed up for supper, there aren't too many (if any) places around our city that you can do this. :mickey:

You've made a good choice. :thumbsup: Despite the hype, Le Cellier is a step down from all the Signature Restaurants.

mousetrapper
10-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Cali Grill is a great choice. My DH is a meat-and-potatoes guy too but he loved CG when we were in WDW without the kids one year.

I've never eaten at Le Cellier (will for the first time next month) so I can't comment, but from what I hear CG is more of a special occasion restaurant, perfect for a romantic dinner.